Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offlineneil
Fox Cleric
Dirty Kuffar
Dirty Kuffar

Total posts: 170
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject:  Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if this has been noticed or not ^^;

Spoilers regarding changes to all 3 movies for their upcoming DVD release.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html

(More)
http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/Index.html

On the whole, the changes all seem improvements, and the new scenes are welcome, although FANBOY SENSE IS TINGLING, whenever Star Wars gets censored, and the Greedo thing gets changed for the seventh time ^^;

On the downside, I (and most other fans) have already seen most of the 'new' bonus materials, although most of it is awesome (particuarly the documentary), and on the whole, I currently want to place all 4 DVDs down my pants.

...but... um... When are these actually out? ^^;
OfflineTortoise
Total posts: 36
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

September 21st, 2004.
Offlinej0hn Ayanami
BAH-STAAA WALF!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Total posts: 1528
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of them look like just uncessary touch ups, but I really don't care as long as it looks better and the story is still the same.
OfflineDoom
Total posts: 3543
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No this won't make me more excited for ep 3, fuck off Lucas.
OfflineTortoise
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I'm waiting for the six-movie DVD set.
OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

But what about the inevitable 7-8-9???
Offlineneil
Fox Cleric
Dirty Kuffar
Dirty Kuffar

Total posts: 170
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

It's been noted in several reviews that there are no deleted scenes, even though dozens of them exist on other releases

Make it 8 DVDs for the nest re-release..
OfflineMinion
pwnstar
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Total posts: 10
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I've been awaiting these DVD's for quite a long time. First time ever on DVD.
The Digital Bits has a nice review with side by side pictures of most of the changes. From what I hear the video quallity is amazing. This is the best Star Wars has ever looked. Can't wait.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Doom wrote:

The expanded universe books have covered that.

Plus, Lucas has always said from the beginning that the story is about Anakin Skywalker. And Anakin/Vadar dies in #6.
Offlinemiles
huh?
Guilty Gay
Guilty Gay

Total posts: 6
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Tortoise wrote:
Doom wrote:

The expanded universe books have covered that.

Plus, Lucas has always said from the beginning that the story is about Anakin Skywalker. And Anakin/Vadar dies in #6.

he could always be brought back some how if lucas wants more money
OfflinePhil
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Total posts: 21
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

They could bring himd back as a spirit/ghost like you saw at the end as some kind of guide or something for luke, but if that ever happened I don't think it could make any good money, the original three finished the series quite nicely I think.
OnlineWaWard
Total posts: 7755
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

j0hn Ayanami wrote:
A lot of them look like just uncessary touch ups, but I really don't care as long as it looks better and the story is still the same.

Han shoots first (unless... ). Character changed.
OfflineKokaku
EpsilonZero
Meow Attack
Meow Attack

Total posts: 240
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

Phil wrote:
They could bring himd back as a spirit/ghost like you saw at the end as some kind of guide or something for luke, but if that ever happened I don't think it could make any good money, the original three finished the series quite nicely I think.

Wasn’t he sort of reincarnated as Anakin?

I'll probably end up getting the DVD's at some point, I'm not going to rush out for them though.

I can't wait for 20 years down the line after Lucas dies and someone decides to totally remake all three films.

Thisismysite,Judsonian.com,checkitoutifyouwant,itsucks,justatad,youshouldstillvisititthough,ithasdesktopwallpapersandanoekaki,andyoudon’thavetosignupeither
OfflineDave
Cybersexy Girl
Locker
Locker

Total posts: 103
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Kokaku"]
Phil wrote:

I can't wait for 20 years down the line after Lucas dies and someone decides to totally remake all three films.

Yeah except it won't be public domain and nobody would want to pay the 5 trillion dollars to buy the rights.
OfflineKokaku
EpsilonZero
Meow Attack
Meow Attack

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Who exactly owns the rights? Lucas himself I hope. Seeing as he’s tried to remain independent, or so I’ve been told.

Thisismysite,Judsonian.com,checkitoutifyouwant,itsucks,justatad,youshouldstillvisititthough,ithasdesktopwallpapersandanoekaki,andyoudon’thavetosignupeither
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 25019
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm waiting for them to remake Episode 1 and take all the bollocks like pod racing out... and add in 50% more JarJar
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Total posts: 8439
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

Tortoise wrote:

Same here.
OfflineCraddyshack
Life Master
Red Lion
Red Lion

Total posts: 29
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Same here.

You actually want to own the first two? bah. I'm more excited about KOTOR 2 than episode 3.
OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Same.
OnlineWaWard
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Me too.
Wanderluster
Red Lion
Red Lion

Total posts: 48
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, THX sound, then remakes, and now updated remakes? I think this is getting a little excessive.

Most of these changes won't even be noticed.... talk about a waste of money. Simply cleaning out the grainyness and leaving it as is would have been plenty. Even if it was just the originals, not the remakes, minus the grain that would have been totally awesome. See now I wouldn't want to buy this because when ep 3 is done, and released on DVD with the huge 20 DVD boxset he'll end up changing 9999 other things. Way to make your purchases worth 0 Lucas.
OfflineMegaManX
Country Gentleman
Chiepoon
Chiepoon

Total posts: 244
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I just like the fact that I can have my Starwars in DVD format. This means I will be able to watch it while I am at Ft. Eustis, VA for AIT(Army Job Training).
OfflineAll Burned Up
Swordity Sword
Red Lion
Red Lion

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go out and buy them on Tuesday but I realize that I will just end up buying all six plus extra feautres after the 3rd episode hits stores in a few years. I can wait that long to own my own copies of the movies. Besides, I have most of 4, 5 and 6 memorized.
OfflinePatchingko
President
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 527
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'll get it. Although Ep1 is mostly crap and Ep2 doesn't even come close to matching the original trilogy, the first three are still <3. I have a Amazon.com GC to use up anyhow.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HMV have the box in Gold instead of Silver.
I prefer that :>
Red Lion
Red Lion

Total posts: 39
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

You don't want the gold box (even though it looks nicer), since that's the 'fool'screen version boo . It's too bad the widescreen version didn't come in the gold. In any case, I'll be picking this up tomorrow as well. I'm not bothered about the changes in these 2004 versions. Other than the Greedo scene, I welcome all of the other changes made to it as they either seem to make sense or they were fx that definitely needed an update (Rancor, Emperor hologram, Jabba in ANH), although adding Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ doesn't feel right (even though it ties in very heavily with parts of ROTS).
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Scissors wrote:
You don't want the gold box (even though it looks nicer), since that's the 'fool'screen version boo . It's too bad the widescreen version didn't come in the gold. In any case, I'll be picking this up tomorrow as well. I'm not bothered about the changes in these 2004 versions. Other than the Greedo scene, I welcome all of the other changes made to it as they either seem to make sense or they were fx that definitely needed an update (Rancor, Emperor hologram, Jabba in ANH), although adding Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ doesn't feel right (even though it ties in very heavily with parts of ROTS).
The HMV gold box still says widescreen on the back.
It says exclusive to HMV.
Maybe this is just a UK thing.
Life Master
Red Lion
Red Lion

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I saw it last night. At the end of Jedi I just started screaming at the TV. I hope episode 3 is an hour and a half of Lucas hanging himself. I can wait for the original trilogy to be released, they said it would be in like 5 years. It can wait.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You can already buy pretty professional looking fanmade Original Trilogy DVD sets with (apparently) good picture quality and extras from ebay.
</3
Amarillo
Amarillo

Total posts: 1162
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

i'll wait untill i can actually afford buying dvd's again Sad
Offlinedem
Dr.Tobias Fünke
Popper
Popper

Total posts: 76
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

Craddyshack wrote:
I saw it last night. At the end of Jedi I just started screaming at the TV. I hope episode 3 is an hour and a half of Lucas hanging himself. I can wait for the original trilogy to be released, they said it would be in like 5 years. It can wait.

You are a prime example of why casual Star Wars fans such as myself don't admit to liking it in public anymore.

I'll be buying it tomorrow after work and I'll probably watch at least the first two movies in one sitting.
OfflineKokaku
EpsilonZero
Meow Attack
Meow Attack

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to wait until I can sucker my parents into buying it. I'm not missing anything by waiting around a bit. Although, I'd rather put that money toward the SG-1 season sets or Band of Brothers.

OfflineCraddyshack
Life Master
Red Lion
Red Lion

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

dem wrote:
Craddyshack wrote:

You are a prime example of why casual Star Wars fans such as myself don't admit to liking it in public anymore.

I'll be buying it tomorrow after work and I'll probably watch at least the first two movies in one sitting.

I could handle all of it until I saw Hayden Chirstianson at the end. That was really the only scene that made me pissed off. The group I was watching it with shared this "what the fuck!" moment. I'm really not that hardcore of a fan, that scene was just really, really dumb. It just didn't make sense.
Offlinedem
Dr.Tobias Fünke
Popper
Popper

Total posts: 76
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

According to reviews, Lucas explains on the RotJ commentary why he replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen. But apparently it is some minor Episode III spoiler.

I also read a few weeks ago about some changes that have turned out to be untrue:

-Supposedly there was supposed to be a scene at the end of ANH where Vader lands in the same hanger on Coruscant that Dooku lands in at the end of AotC. He apologizes to the Emperor for the loss of the Death Star but tells him that there is a potential person to be swayed over to the dark side, obviously referring to Luke.

-Yoda's face was supposedly going to be CG animated, where his body would still be the puppet we've always seen.

-in RotJ Jabba was supposed to be some kind of mixture of puppet and CG smiliar to Yoda.

It would have been interesting to see how Jabba would have looked if that were true but in the end I'm glad that he's still the same(even though the CG update of Jabba in ANH is pretty damn detailed and cool looking it would have been way to hard for them to do).
OfflineCybernetic Empire
Booze Hound
The Stranger
The Stranger

Total posts: 944
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just watched all three movies today. The end of RotJ with the nub was crap. Other than that I am happy.
Red Lion
Red Lion

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

it's about fucking time

and there isn't going to be any 6 movie dvd set
blue ray yes, dvd no
OfflineZell
Invisible Man
Red Lion
Red Lion

Total posts: 27
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject:  Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

The Darth Vader/Episode 3 stuff on the bonus disk

Damn can't wait to see Vader updated

and the duel is going to fucking rock! Watching Ewin and Hayden practicing was cool as hell!
OfflineTzen
photographer?
Red Lion
Red Lion

Total posts: 44
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind all the changes really, they're not that noticable and they don't take anything away from the movies/story.
I really bought this for the bonus disc, and it's been well worth it.
OfflineSeifer Almasy
Dirty Kuffar
Dirty Kuffar

Total posts: 172
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: icon_shocked Re: Star Wars DVDs (Lucas Changes Star Wars Again) Reply with quote Back to top

I had heard that they were going to "fix" the han solo and greedo scene for the DVDs which I mistook for putting it back to the way it was originally. I was disappointed to discover that they merely edited it to look more realistic, however greedo still shoots first which is bullshit.

-Finn
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lol. Anybody bought this shit again?
OfflineGarbo
Wandering Nazi
Winnie The Poon
Winnie The Poon

Total posts: 1584
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Was this still on the first page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm weak.
drop your weapon
Admin Enforcer
Admin Enforcer

Total posts: 611
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The remastered version of the original three films are probably the best looking non-hd films I own. I wouldn't even consider the upgrade boo
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wish I could just get the original ones without all the changes, and no phantom menace
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They also released DVDs of the original versions a few years back.
I've never bought the Star Wars films before, so will probably pick this new set up if the price drops.
OnlineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
I wish I could just get the original ones without all the changes, and no phantom menace

Phantom menace was the least worst of the PT. Attack of the clones the most worst.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Total posts: 18580
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you. Seriously how can anyone stand Attack of the Clones at all? Horrible B movie title. Horrible B movie.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I watched it in the cinema and thought it was better and leas annoying than Phantom Menace then saw it again on TV a few years later and realised it was quite dire, and overall a bit boring.
OnlineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I love u
No I wuv u moar~

It was bad fanfic. ROTS could've been ok if he didn't procrastinate in ep 1&2 and had to cover everything (plot wise) that people wanted out of the PT.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My main problem with PM is that it ruined SW for me. After such a bad film I didn't expect anything from the following ones, hence I couldn't be so disappointed. Jar Jar ffs!! I was still hoping the next ones would have some redeeming features but let's be honest, after PM my expectations were just much much lower...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: