Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> PlayStation Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 26396
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: icon_funny PlayStation Classic Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the mini retro console with games built in worked well for Nintendo, so it'd be weird if other companies didn't follow suit. With all the PS1 nostalgia Sony have been laying on over the last few years, I guess this was inevitable.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

The console will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

A nice line-up, but I fear most big PS1 games (such as Wipeout) are going to look and play rather terribly by modern standards. Jumping Flash felt blocky and dated to the point of being almost unplayable a year after release. How's it going to fare in 2G18 hands? It'll sell for sure though.
What should the full lineup of 20 games be?
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 8676
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

so classic it doesn’t even come with a dual shock? boo

I for one cannot wait for the original Xbox classic. It’ll still be yuge lol
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the PlayStation will have some RPGs on it that we didn't get in Europe (like the SNES did). Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears and Chrono Cross

Realistically, it's gonna have a Wipeout game, a Tomb Raider, ISS Pro, Resident Evil (depending on what age rating they're going for) and Metal Gear Solid. Some of those would be quite good additions.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No dual shock. I still cant get over that. boo
Imagine playing MGS without one
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Also when are we getting SG classic
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ape Escape also needed Dualshock, did it not? And Gran Turismo.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Ape Escape also needed Dualshock, did it not? And Gran Turismo.

Yeah. I don't think that many required it.
But come on Sony. This is a 1.9G style era move, and nintendo will beat you whenever the n64 classic comes out.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Crash Bandicoot would be fine, but surely Spyro was analogue only? Would be funny if this got FFVIII, what with all the people whinging that there hasn't been a port of it recently.

The N64 controllers will be bigger than the console!
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Total posts: 11446
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I remember hating Playstation initially just because it stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo. Mr. Green
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It got rid of Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6 and skipped straight to 7 boo

Wonder if this thing will have Pepsiman. I'd also like to see Soul Blade/Edge in addition to Tekken 3. At least they're going with the better games in the Namco series rather than the ones released close to launch.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Pepsi for pizza!
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 19673
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is most classic PS1 games are already available digitally on PSN. I guess this could be alright. I actually think PSX has the best library of any console, but not sure this is needed.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The games that have been announced are ones that you're still able to buy in one form or another. I have most of what I want already on PS3/Vita. I guess this brings them together on to an easier to access and understand system. The only way I see this being worth the asking price is if it's presented slicky and as easy to hack as the Nintendo minis.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is even if they announce games that aren't available, they'll probably be less desirable ones.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The UK box has a Pegi 18 rating on it, so it probably has Resident Evil.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is Resident Evil really that bad even? Its pretty tame to my recollection. Do games get 18 ratings just for being mildly scary?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
The UK box has a Pegi 18 rating on it, so it probably has Resident Evil.

You are the master of unlocking!
OfflineCid
Total posts: 674
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all set on the PS1 front. My PS2 stopped playing PS1 games many years ago but a couple weeks ago I opened it up and fixed it. Been replaying Front Mission 3 and some other RPGs. I need to pick up some component cables though the picture looks really blurry.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Is Resident Evil really that bad even? Its pretty tame to my recollection. Do games get 18 ratings just for being mildly scary?

Back when it was originally released here, it got a BBFC 18 certificate. As in an actual legal "you can't sell this to kids" logo. The same one as films get.

The horror would probably push it to a PG, the blood, guns and violence would push it to a 15 or 18, depending on how much of the product contains these. If classified today, it may get a 15 (BBFC brought in new, more lenient rules in 2002). The logo on the box is a PEGI rating, so games industry specific and not a legal requirement. Maybe GTA is on there too?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Full games list.

Quote:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

The list is actually better than I'd expected. Still don't think I'll be getting one though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's pretty terrible IMO and to think they believe this justifies a higher price than SNES classic..... Also isn't the lack of any Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot kind of weird? They were pretty much the icons ofbthe console back in the day...

Last edited by Lord Golbez on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda shit.
I’d rather use my ps vita.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No Wipeout is a bold move. Persona instead of Crash or Tomb Raider is a confusing move.

I think Mr Driller and Puzzle Fighter made me pleasantly surprised. More likely to replay stuff like that than... cool Boarders 2.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd applaud it if the first Persona game weren't deeply flawed. Never played Mr. Driller and. Don't kniw what it is.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
I'd applaud it if the first Persona game weren't deeply flawed. Never played Mr. Driller and. Don't kniw what it is.
I never touched Persona, and I used to play every fucking JRPG I could get my hands on. My guess that it's on there as some kind of business deal with Sega, who are really pushing for the series to be more of a "thing".
Mr. Driller is a puzzle game and pseudo sequel to Dig-Dug. You play a guy who can drill left, right and down and you have to drill down as far as you can. There are several different types of block and obstacles. You run out of oxygen, but can find bubbles. Sequels added different characters that have different movement and abilities. A GameCube version pretty much perfected the game but was never released outside of Japan (I imported it twice) and the series has been abandoned by Namco since a frustrating iPhone port in the early days of that kinda' stuff.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
No Wipeout is a bold move. Persona instead of Crash or Tomb Raider is a confusing move.

I think Mr Driller and Puzzle Fighter made me pleasantly surprised. More likely to replay stuff like that than... cool Boarders 2.

I had a coolboarders 2 demo in the late 1Gs. It was pretty shit compared to 1080 snowboarding.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The N64 Mini would be better. It'd lack on the RPG front though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is I don't think Sega does itself any favors by pushing Persona when newer fans might be expecting something like P3-P5. They ahould really try remaking the game. I'm not saying add all the stuff like calendar and social links from the newer games. That would be a bit much, but they could certainly revamp the gameplay, like the way you obtain personas.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Just realised there isn't Gran Turismo on this either
No Spyro, Crash, Wipeout, GT... surely these were among the most iconic PS1 games?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
The N64 Mini would be better. It'd lack on the RPG front though.

Quest 64 is still a FFVII killer Check! boo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FF7 is better than all N64 games combined so PSX classoc still beats it, even though most of the games suck. Also, Ocarina of Time is bad.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: icon_fight  Reply with quote Back to top

The late 1Gs called and they want their hot takes back Check!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Tough. I'm keeping these hot takes to dole out at my leisure.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The Genesis/Mega Drive mini in development sounds legit sweet. Takes actual original cartridgez.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's cool, if you have them, but I never had a Genesis. Also, I got the downloadable collection with a shit ton of Genesis games, so it probably has most of the worthwhile ones anyway, and even with that I can't get into most of them. I'd say it probably has to do with needing to have played them at the time of release to really enjoy them, which is probably true, but it also kind of confirms for me my long held beliefs that SNES was the vastly superior console for games.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Collections of Mega Drive games and several mini versions have been released to many times with so many bugs that it's kinda' muddied the idea for me. You can buy an unofficial adapter to play SNES carts on the SNES Mini. I'm considering doing that.
TacocaTacocaT
Frosty Jack
Frosty Jack

Total posts: 11171
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The Japanese release gets Armored Core. They're jerks, that game is super fun. The RDM loves making spider jumping robots with grenade launchers.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They also have Parasite Eve and SaGa Frontier. Their list is drastically different.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I love the PSX Armored Core. Me and Ziggy would battle each other all the time. I made one based on orange Eva-00. It used a sniper rifle that only had 10 ammo but could take someone out in probably 4-5 hits. If it ran out I was stuck with the knife thing.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I never played the full game but I sure liked the Armored Core demo on the disc that came with the console. I can't remember everything on that disc, but it was pretty good. Had Tomb Raider 2, Crash 2, PaRappa, Cool Boarders, I think, or some snow boardong game, Armored Core. Don't remember what else. Just demos, but a fun disc nonetheless.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Frosty Jack
Frosty Jack

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Demo discs used to be great. Is that still a thing?

The RDM used to house DarkFire (or Kurohi, or it doesn't matter because he wasn't on SG enough for anyone to remember him) in Armored Core all the time. Revenge for the years of StarCraft beatings.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Armored Core games on PS2 (and presumably beyond) were still ok, and controls and obviously graphics both improved, but in some key ways the games kept getting worse. Especially in multiplayer arena design! I’ll never understand their predilection for big empty open spaces. Give me a cool cityscape or something!
TacocaTacocaT
Frosty Jack
Frosty Jack

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Big open areas are super against the point. The RDM has never been into shooters in general, but the mechanics of that game we're hella fun.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the demo disc in the PSX was in lieu of coming witha game as consoles used to, so it's a good thing that it was a pretty good demo disc. The variety on the demo disc probably made it better than having the full game of some of the offerings.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They should have put the T Rex demo on the Mini. It'd be played more than Persona.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Frosty Jack
Frosty Jack

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Parasite Eve came with a demo disc.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Brave Fencer Musashi cam with the FF8 demo. I remember that was the factor that pushed me over to getting it, but it was actually a great game.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think demo discs are mainly a thing of the past because if demos are available for games you just download them now.
TacocaTacocaT
Frosty Jack
Frosty Jack

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM doesn't really games anymore, but he hears these days games are basically just demos and you get the rest of the game later and you usually pay extra and it's called DLC.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Brave Fencer Musashi cam with the FF8 demo. I remember that was the factor that pushed me over to getting it, but it was actually a great game.

I bought a Japanese copy of it. Both Brave Fencer and Parasite Eve never came out here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: