Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Solo another Star Wars movie
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 7754
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:43 am† †Post subject: icon_question Solo another Star Wars movie Reply with quote Back to top

Too many freaking Star Wars movie.

It wasnít a terrible movie, but I wasnít exactly enthused by it either. It just wasnít anything special.

Fun fact: between now and episode 9 is the longest we arenít having new Star Wars since 2G15.

This unnecessary movie was just unnecessary. Lando was good however but I was hoping for him to get more fleshed out.

The cameos were neat I guess. [/spoiler]
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 25019
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about to go see it. Not expecting to like it, mind.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:07 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh it was better than the doom and gloom that wad thrown around.

But it was thoroughly average. Much like most of the marvel movies.
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Total posts: 2988
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I was actively avoiding seeing it because anything that spends that long in development hell is probably going to be muddled and confusing. And the fact that Disney chased off Edgar Wright and the project got handed to Ron Howard, the Nicholas Cage of directors, did also not bode well.

So I guess being just OK is actually a victory.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
I was actively avoiding seeing it because anything that spends that long in development hell is probably going to be muddled and confusing. And the fact that Disney chased off Edgar Wright and the project got handed to Ron Howard, the Nicholas Cage of directors, did also not bode well.

They did that for Edgar Wright on Ant Man. The concerned directors were Phil lord and Christopher Miller.

Seems like you were Edgar Wrong.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:46 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Didnít enjoy it. Unlikeable main character and too much boring action. The guy working at the cinema says itís been doing pretty badly, despite good reviews. Guess thereís some Star Wars fatigue involved.
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Total posts: 10035
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair, Ron Howard only took over when principal photography was already finished.

Also I donít know why everyone shits all over Ron Howard and still gives Spielberg so much credit. Spielberg is easily the worse of the two at this point.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 pm† †Post subject: icon_cool  Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Didnít enjoy it. Unlikeable main character and too much boring action. The guy working at the cinema says itís been doing pretty badly, despite good reviews. Guess thereís some Star Wars fatigue involved.

I mean there was a crazy divisive movie that came out just 5 months ago.

I don't know what they are thinking with this cadence.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
To be fair, Ron Howard only took over when principal photography was already finished.

Also I donít know why everyone shits all over Ron Howard and still gives Spielberg so much credit. Spielberg is easily the worse of the two at this point.

Well let's compare their Star Wars output shall we?

Spielberg: Directed the unnecessary long obi wan and Vader fight. Has the high ground.

Ron Howard: Made the unnecessary Solo movie.

I think it's a Tie.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Total posts: 18580
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Spielberg directed the fight in Episode III?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Spielberg directed the fight in Episode III?

Yeah. He ghost directed it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did he come up with the line about the high ground?
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:
Mitsurugi CP wrote:

They did that for Edgar Wright on Ant Man. The concerned directors were Phil lord and Christopher Miller.

Seems like you were Edgar Wrong.

I knew about Ant-Man, but I thought he originally got tapped for Solo as well, then quit, so it went to Lord and Miller, who then passed it to Howard.

smeared ink wrote:

I don't necessarily dislike Howard, but like Cage, he's got a reputation for basically taking anything that comes his way. I think Cage is a good decent actor, but when you have a low bar for what you're willing to sign on for, you can get something good (if not a little oddball) like Adaptation, but you'll also get a lot of stuff that just kinda fades into the background like Face/Off, Con-Air, and Kick-Ass, and unmitigated crap like Ghost Rider, National Treasure, and this.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Can we agree that the stupid fucking droid in Solo is actually as annoying (if not moreso) than Jar Jar?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Total posts: 10035
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iíll always give Cage leeway because of movies like Wild at Heart, Vampireís Kiss, Moonstruck, Raising Arizona, and, yes, Adaptation. Plus a few other good ones.
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Can we agree that the stupid fucking droid in Solo is actually as annoying (if not moreso) than Jar Jar?

I hadn't planned on seeing it, so I'll take your word for it. Certainly wouldn't be the first time an annoying Star Wars character was shoehorned in for the sake of merchandising.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:56 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I was actually really happy when I died, but feared it'd come back. I'm not sure that's the audience emotion they were going for .
OfflineGrey Fox
Dad of Mod-Bot
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 709
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't really feel any desire to go see this movie. If someone asks me to go I will.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Grey Fox wrote:
I just don't really feel any desire to go see this movie. If someone asks me to go I will.

Can you go see this movie?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I assume he means to go with them. I'm so uninterested in this movie I don't even care about spoilers.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

it retcons a bunch of Star Wars movies and reveals that Solo is Vaderís Long lost bastard [/spoiler]
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:18 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. I don't care. It's non-canon for me anyway.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: