Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> SG Game of the Year 2G17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 26481
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: icon_shocked SG Game of the Year 2G17 Reply with quote Back to top

Accidentally ended up starting a GOTY debate in an unrelated thread. I think Game of the Year deserves its own thread more than most subjects though.

Let's start off by just listing which new games we enjoyed this year. I'll then add categories and we can try to work that out. SG GOTY will blatantly be a toss-up between BREATH of the Wild and Persona 5 though

Last edited by Damien on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 19725
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The heavy contenders of what I played are Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn. Not saying I didn't like other games. The other ganes I played just aren't in the same weight class so to speak. Also, I'm not sure in every case whether a game I played was from this year. I know a lot (most) of them weren't.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Total posts: 11534
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This is why I shouldn't type shit on my phone while eating. I thought that seemed wrong at the time

Some categories are:
RPG
Sports/racing
Family game
Fighting game
Independent game
Strategy game
Mobile game
Handheld game
Action/adventure
Ongoing game
Multiplayer game
ESports
Game studio
Art direction
Narrative
Soundtrack
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RPG - Persona 5
Action/Adventure - Horizon Zero Dawn probay qualifies as action RPG, but if I cheat and put it here that lets me do more games I've played.
Handheld - Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS version is this year)
Indie - I don't know. Maybe Undertale. Is that indie? Or from this year?
Game studio - I'm not sure what this one means so I'll go with Atlus.
Soundtrack - Persona 5.
Narrative - Persona 5.

These are subject to change if I play something else that makes me revise or think of something else I haven't.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Undertale was actually 2015!
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Total posts: 2004
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking of doing a 2017 year round up thread where I commented on all the games I played through this year, but I was waiting till New Years
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:

I checked and it was released on PS4 this year. That's probably not good enough for the actual game awards, but as far as I'm concerned a release on a new console counts. It was only PC before that. It especially counts for Yoshi's Woolly World because of the Poochy part.

Asaroth Larot wrote:
I was thinking of doing a 2017 year round up thread where I commented on all the games I played through this year, but I was waiting till New Years

There's still room for a thread like that, IMO. We need more forum activity overall.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Asaroth will also likely complete 10-12 more games before the end of the year. Mr. Green
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Total posts: 2004
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well Im definitely going to try to sneak some more in.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Damien wrote:

I checked and it was released on PS4 this year. That's probably not good enough for the actual game awards, but as far as I'm concerned a release on a new console counts. It was only PC before that. It especially counts for Yoshi's Woolly World because of the Poochy part.

Poochy counts becuase it's a bit different from the Wii U version. If Undertale PS4 counts, that means that Final Fantasy IX would also be in the running for RPG of the year (the PS4 port of that is a lot more different from the original than Undertale probably is).
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. My winners (off the top of my head). For disclosure, I haven't played that many games this year and I know there are better games out there

RPG:
Persona 5

I always thought I'd finish it while looking for a job, but fixing up the flat and job hunting keeps me too busy for any gaming at all. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon is also up there, but too close to last year's releases to warrant me putting it above P5. Along with FFXIV, Zelda and Mario, Persona 5 is probably the only game I've played for solid 2+ hour sessions. It's not perfect, but it didn't disappoint.
----
Sports/racing:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

It's just the Wii U game from a few years back, running smoother, with more characters and better multiplayer, but if it can get nominated for the proper game awards, it can win my vote for the SG game awards.
----
Family game:
Super Mario Odyssey

A little confused about what warrants a "family" game, but there are no boobs or swearing in Odyssey (unless I'm missing them) and this is probably my favourite Mario game of all time, so I'll award the family rosette to this.
----
Fighting game:
Tekken 7

As far as I gather, it's been a pretty shit year for fighting games. Tekken 7 is probably my least favourite of the series, but I played it enough to get a Platinum Trophy on th PS4 (then sold it. Will buy again when a "complete" version comes out).
----
Independent game:
Golf Story

A fun and challenging golf RPG that reminds me of the story modes I loved on the GBC/GBA Mario Golf games. I'm glad it's done so well, as it really does seem like something that could have easily passed below the radar.
----
Strategy game:
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

I thought we'd maybe already had a bit too much Fire Emblem on the 3DS in recent years, but this is a really enjoyable entry in the series. I never played Gaiden, so the story and characters were all new to me. The game is a bit more straightforward than Fates and dual hero system keeps it fresh.
----

Don't want to kill the thread with one long ass post (and going out to Birmingham now), so will put the rest up later.
Asaroth. Put your current faves in these categories up. The SG Awards wait for no man!

Last edited by Damien on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 8736
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't play enough videogames to cover many genres.

Zelda is the GOTY. Are you shocked with my edgy opinion?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Quick Damien, play Night in the Woods so it can be your indie game!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to download it so can't boo
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My GOTY is this optical illusion.

Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't have much interaction.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: icon_shocked  Reply with quote Back to top

Time for the rest of my winners win

Mobile Game:
Fire Emblem Heroes

This really is a category I don't give much of a fuck about. The main mobile games I play are Disney Tsum Tsum and Pokémon GO (from previous years), so I guess I'll say Fire Emblem... even though I don't quite get how this watered down version is so popular. The art is nice though.
----
Handheld Game:
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon

Been too busy to finish this, but from what I've played, it's a well-expanded reiteration of last year's Gen VII games. Arguably the best Pokémon to date.
----
Action/adventure:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I was worried I wouldn't like this game. Couldn't be more wrong. It's such a chilled experience. Intuitive and bursting with life. The open world is filled with secrets, the kind of hallmarks that make the Zelda series as loved as it is. It's a joy to play from start to finish, and beyond. My only major niggles with the game are that I didn't like the main four dungeons, but I rarely enjoy 3D Zelda dungeons, so that's probably my own problem, rather than the game's.
----
Ongoing Game
Overwatch

Yay free additional content! I got Overwatch just before Christmas last year and it was a little too late to realise that it was actually my 2G16 GOTY. It's a fun and varied FPS for people who don't like/aren't good at FPS'. The new skins added this year have been fun and the events, new modes and new maps and characters have kept the game lively and fresh at no extra cost.
----
Multiplayer Game:
Splatoon 2

Another title I haven't played as much as I'd have liked to. Ever so slightly expands on the Wii U original. Very fun, if you happen to be in a team that play as a team. If Overcooked was new this year, I would have awarded that over Splatoon btw
----
ESports:

Couldn't care less. Not an ESports fan here. Overwatch won the official game awards trophy, so if that counts, sure.
----
Game Studio:
Nintendo

Such a great year for Nintendo, who released a wonderful little console and created/published a load of the games on this list of mine!
----
Art Direction:
Persona 5

Like the series or not, it's hard to argue that Persona has a very cool and coherent style. Persona 5 is for me the best so far.
----
Narrative:
Persona 5

Yes. I haven't finished the game. I haven't really played another new RPG though. BotW has a good story -for a Zelda game-, but nothing as involving as P5.
----
Soundtrack:
Super Mario Odyssey

I feel like I'm doing Nier Automata a bit of a disservice by not actually playing it. Maybe it would have won these last three categories, had I bothered with it. I may change my mind a bit later, but I think Mario Odyssey actually has the best soundtrack this year. Not something I'd listen to outside the game, but the tunes are so perfectly suited to each section of the game, it's hard not to pat it on the back.
----
Game of the Year:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

For reasons mentioned above (as well as in its own thread and 2 or 3 other threads), Zelda beats Mario, Persona and Pokémon to the post and wins my overall GOTY award win
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'm supposed to comment on your lengthy post. Problem is that I haven't played most of the games on it so I don't have much to add or dispute. I definitely agree with Persona 5 on narrative and art direction. I will also say that Persona series has consistently great soundtracks and P5 is no exception.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Beneath the Mask annoys me though (and you hear the same battle music way too much)
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. Strongly disagree there. Beneath the Mask is possibly my favorite in the game. Rivers in the Desert is pretty close too (they do use this one for too many different boss battles though). Also, I quite like the main battle music and tend to think the worst part is you typically don't get to hear much of it. If I had one battle music to complain about it would be for the palace bosses. That said, Persona 4 has a better soundtrack all around.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I was actually going to say "the same bit of the same battle music". From what I've seen in streams, Nier Automata's OST wipes P5 away. I can't honestly vote for that though, as I haven't played it myself (yet).
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I haven't played Nier Automata. I will, however, take Beneath the Mask over Grad coins with me.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason I don't have Nier is that I made a conscious decision to stop buying games that I didn't immediately intend to play. I still want to get it (even though I think I'd suck at it and am not sure I'd be able to fully finish it).
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That is a sensible game-buying policy.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still not sensible enough. Very nearly bought Xenoblade 2 on launch day last week.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There was definitely a significant lag between me spending less time playing games and knowing not to buy as many games as I used to.

It probably helps that I also don't spend much time following what games are coming out anymore.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's sad because 2017 was probably one of the best years of all time, as far as gaming is concerned. Way too many great games to play them all. Even if you do somehow have time/money for loads of gaming.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You could probably find the time if you're rich and have no job all year.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Admittedly I could've played games more than I did this year. I have a decent amount of leisure time, I just haven't prioritized spending it on video games lately. Maybe in 2018!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

When you get a Switch?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wait? Fei played Zelda on Wii U?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yes and yes!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody else got any lists/nominations?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No and no!
Tenkyu Star
Smokey
Smokey

Total posts: 1679
Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Persona 5 / Nier are tied for me!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

SG GotY really is a two horse race. Zelda against Persona.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Smokey
Smokey

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really loved Zelda but without much of a story it can never win GOTY for me personally.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Joei wrote:
I really loved Zelda but without much of a story it can never win GOTY for me personally.

Check! I haven't played Zelda yet, but I feel the same way about story, which is why I feel confident in my choice even without having played both.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Smokey
Smokey

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I understand why it doesn't have much of a story but I personally need that. I'm just glad Zelda finally changed things up at least.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There isn't much story but there's a fair bit more lore than most previous Zelda games. Not comparable with P5 though, which is like 80% story.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like we've got about a 50/50 split in this thread between Zelda and Persona.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 8736
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Joei wrote:
I understand why it doesn't have much of a story but I personally need that. I'm just glad Zelda finally changed things up at least.

I think it had the right amount.

TBH the story was the play itself. Unconventional, but a story nonetheless.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd put it down to a front page poll, but only 4 people would vote, and an "Undine" option would break it.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Regardless of whether you think BotW has a good story or much of a story at all, why should that be the determining GOTY factor? A lot of great games don't have (or need) a story. Journey barely has a story, and that's one of the best, most memorable games I've ever played. Shadow of the Colossus barely has a story either, and I feel strongly about that too. And that's still ignoring whole classes of games (racing, to name one) where talking about story almost doesn't make sense.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Except F Zero GX which has a story mode that's terrible. Maybe that's why Nintendo dropped the series
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Regardless of whether you think BotW has a good story or much of a story at all, why should that be the determining GOTY factor? A lot of great games don't have (or need) a story. Journey barely has a story, and that's one of the best, most memorable games I've ever played. Shadow of the Colossus barely has a story either, and I feel strongly about that too. And that's still ignoring whole classes of games (racing, to name one) where talking about story almost doesn't make sense.

I'll take games I haven't played for 2000.

What is because they don't have a story?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

"What is" = "Was it"?

Sounded like a Jeopardy response. EDIT: *rereads previous sentence* I guess that was intentional???
Tenkyu Star
Smokey
Smokey

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Shadow of the Colossus told more of a story than BotW to be honest. Games nirmally need a good narrative and characters for me.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's cool as a preference. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that GOTY candidates lean towards story, this is (the vestiges of) an RPG community after all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: