Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Pop'n Music setup guide
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Total posts: 187
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm† †Post subject:  Pop'n Music setup guide Reply with quote Back to top

Back during one of the SGUK meetups I remember playing Pop'n Music. Getting older I feel some nostalgia and would like to revisit the game.

Any hints on a good setup? I have a modded PSOne and PSTwo but both are PAL and I am worried about syncing problems since the games are NTSC.

Since there are so many versions of the game, can you guys recommend a specific one?

Especially Damien: Do you remember what version we played during SGUK back when?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 22602
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:39 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Which place was it at? It would have been 10, 11, or 12 you played then. PS2 games. There are no latency or syncing issues. The last home console release was back in 2006 on the PS2, but there are plenty of newer arcade versions. There are ways of playing these elsewhere that Iím not supposed to talk about. Iím terrible at getting a setup working though. May be best to put you in contact with Neil, as heís a bit of an expert at it now.
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's all a mess in my head. Since my wife remembers playing it it must have been Isle of Dogs at new year's. I do explicitly remember there being a mini game that appeared randomly where you had to explore a dungeon.

Great news on the syncing though, seems like I can just get a controller and the game an I'll be set. Just the matter of which game to get.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That was Popín 9 then. DM me if you want info on setting up the newer games.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I'm getting 9 then.

I'm also getting 10, since it comes bundled with a controller:

Could you take a look at this link and tell me I did not just make a mistake?
https://www.amazon.de/Music-Limited-controller-Japanische-Importspiele/dp/B0002ZCLYQ

I'll be getting back to you for any setup questions, eagerly awaiting my order now

Cheers!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:25 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's the controller that came bundled with the Japanese V-Rare edition of 10 and the one I have. It's the best version of the console controller. Most players prefer an arcade style controller, but it's huge and makes a lot of noise. if you get what's in the picture, that's a good price.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
That's the controller that came bundled with the Japanese V-Rare edition of 10 and the one I have. It's the best version of the console controller. Most players prefer an arcade style controller, but it's huge and makes a lot of noise. if you get what's in the picture, that's a good price.

Awesome! I'll hope that the offer is not a dud.
I got PNM 9 for 10 Euros as well.

I read somewhere that some controller can detect certain mod chips so I hope that it will work out.

Let the wait begin.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Thta's bullshit. I now have a complete collection of legit Pop'ns, but I started with pirate copies of all of them.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Thta's bullshit. I now have a complete collection of legit Pop'ns, but I started with pirate copies of all of them.

I was skeptical at first as well, but it seemed legit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bemani/comments/4k5jyw/popn_music_konami_controller_with_a_chipped_pal/

Maybe a specific combination of controller and modchip.
We'll see how it plays out when the goods arrive
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

PS1. Bizarre if true.
Offlineneil
Fox Cleric
Dirty Kuffar
Dirty Kuffar

Total posts: 170
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I sent you a PM, detailing a bunch of stuff that I don't want to show up in Google's search cache anytime soon

-

That controller bundle looks like a bargain. Pop'n 9 and 10 both have over 100 songs per game, and by the time you get bored of them, you'll have a good idea if and how you want to dive into Pop'n Music as a serious hobby.

I've never heard of the Mod-chip thing, but I think it's just a very early PS1 modchip? The fact that it's in black and white also makes me think he's playing Pop'n on a older PAL TV, and just generally nowhere near as sophisticated as PS2 piracy setups?

The only thing unique about the controller itself is that it constantly holds up while it's plugged in. That's just so that the games can tell the difference between a Pop'n controller and a Dualshock, and doesn't have any bearing on anything else o.O

Let us know how you get along with the game! If you want any specific advice setting up or playing, you can PM me for my Discord or Facebook deets.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

neil wrote:
I sent you a PM, detailing a bunch of stuff that I don't want to show up in Google's search cache anytime soon

-

That controller bundle looks like a bargain. Pop'n 9 and 10 both have over 100 songs per game, and by the time you get bored of them, you'll have a good idea if and how you want to dive into Pop'n Music as a serious hobby.

I've never heard of the Mod-chip thing, but I think it's just a very early PS1 modchip? The fact that it's in black and white also makes me think he's playing Pop'n on a older PAL TV, and just generally nowhere near as sophisticated as PS2 piracy setups?

The only thing unique about the controller itself is that it constantly holds up while it's plugged in. That's just so that the games can tell the difference between a Pop'n controller and a Dualshock, and doesn't have any bearing on anything else o.O

Let us know how you get along with the game! If you want any specific advice setting up or playing, you can PM me for my Discord or Facebook deets.

Much obliged! You seem to be taking this hobby quite seriously I appreciate that!
I'll be content with the home version for now, but that was quite interesting information. Didn't know there was still an active community, let alone new games coming out.

When you mentioned arcades in Europe I was wondering whether you sent that PM through a time machine. Are there actually still arcades in business in Europe? Speaking for Germany I was never able to find any even in the heyday of Arcades in the UK, in part due to the weird German gambling laws that would prevent minors from entering an Arcade even if it was strictly non-gambling. So if you have some info on where to find Arcades in Europe (specifically Germany, I won't give up hope), I might try to plan a trip back through memory lane. Also Music Gaming conventions??? Blows my mind. Tell me more please.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Unsure about other counties, but I know Europeís largest arcade is currently Arcade Club out in the sticks of Manchester. https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk
They have popín. As do two smaller arcades in London.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Cat Toast Bomb
Cat Toast Bomb

Total posts: 16362
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what all this Poppin' Fresh is about.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's why you don't get lots of the earlier ranks.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Aw crap. The game and controller just arrived and seem to be in very good condition. Unfortunately my PS2 doesn't take the disc. I got it used on ebay after my old one died and it was supposed to have a modchip.

So I cracked it open and cleaned the lens. Now it takes the disc but I get an "Please insert PS2 or PS1 game disc" error, which I suppose tells me that it doesn't like the game's region code. Crappit!

Now what are my options? Should I try my luck with another modded PS2? Import one from Japan at a hopefully reasonable price and deal with any power adapters later? I don't suppose you can have a PS2 modded in this day and age? I read about this SwapMagic thing but it sounds like quite a hassle changing discs all the time.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The last time I had dealings with modding a PS2 (or indeed, any console) was 2005, so I have absolutely no idea how youíd go about it nowadays
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:40 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, adventure time!

I just ordered a Modbo 4.0 from China for 2 Euros. Whether this is a scam, I don't know, but I'll take that risk. Getting a cheap replacement PS2 won't cost a fortune and I get to solder my very own modchip or wreck a console. Let's see how this fares.

edit: lol at the new rank, should be "kleines" just so you know
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:14 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That rankís been there since 2005 and is just named after the song, so will do
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:10 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
That rankís been there since 2005 and is just named after the song, so will do

Yeah, "new" meant that I just changed into it.

Just a language nitpick. The song says "das kleine Krokodil" (the little crocodile) but when you use it like in the rank it should be "kleines Krokodil" (little crocodile). Nevermind though, nobody will pick that up anyway.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Cat Toast Bomb
Cat Toast Bomb

Total posts: 16362
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's supposed to be the enormous crocodile. He was thrown into the sun. Remember?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Total posts: 8287
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wish Snappy was a pop'n song. Make it happen plz? :sadtea

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: