Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27075
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think I still prefer Zelda on the SNES.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9074
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think ultimately we are comparing Apple and oranges.

They might be the same series but theyíre also fundamentaly different. If it were any other company they would be two different series probably.

I like them both a lot. They were both revolutionary in their own time. But newer is better so
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20097
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You could probably say that for any transition from 2D to 3D for a series. It certainly holds well for Mario games, where the 3D games tend to focus more on collectibles, while those were barely a thing in the 2D games and it was more just about getting through the levels. One exception is probably like Mario 3D land, where it's a 3D game that largely plays like a 2D Mario game.

What else? Metroid. 2D series is used to coin the term "Metroidvania." 3D series are basically FPS. That's a way more stark difference than the difference between 2D and 3D Zelda.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah the format of a 3D Zelda game lies a lot closer to that of a 2D one than with Mario.
My point anyway is that BotW isn't my favourite Zelda game so can't be my favourite game of all time.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just canít decide if LTTP/LA are my favourite Zelda or BOTW is. Theyíre both great for different reasons. I guess what Iím trying to say is that Zelda is a better series than Persona.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Zelda isn't even close to as good a series as Persona. I would take any of Persona 3, 4 or 5 over all Zelda games. Heck, I'd take Brave Fencer Musashi over most Zelda games. It's a very overrated above average, but not exceptional series.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:10 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bottomline: Zelda is a B+ series that reviewers all put on A+ goggles for when they play.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Zelda isn't even close to as good a series as Persona. I would take any of Persona 3, 4 or 5 over all Zelda games. Heck, I'd take Brave Fencer Musashi over most Zelda games. It's a very overrated above average, but not exceptional series.

A series of bold statements. When was the last time you even played Brave Fencer?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe like 8 - 10 years ago.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's probably borderline unbearable/unplayable right now. I preferred Threads of Fate. Neither got released here. We got the PS2 one though
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11918
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Can we just accept already that Sonic Spinball is the greatest game of all time.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:32 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Dude. Brave Fencer Musashi holds up way better than Ocarina. Also Threads of Fate is far more unplayable. I started playing that and stopped early on when I got to some barrier that I didn't have enough max mp to get through. It was like I was supposed to level grind my mp just to proceed with the game. Truly shitty design.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess, like Breath of the Wild, it would have benefited from a few dozen cut scenes of school children eating burgers.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

rofl
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WTF does that have to do with my legitimate complaint that they put a remplenishing barrier that you can dissolve proportional to your mp early in the game? I think they basically made the game unbeatable with one character without an inane level of grinding.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't Persona also involve a lot of grinding? Both in battle and outside, raising traits and social links etc?
I remember next to nothing about Threads of Fate. i think i finished it pretty quickly
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Notbat the level I'm talking about and not so early in the game. It's conplete Apples and Oranges. What I'm talking about was more like you're stuck between a few rooms because you don't have enough mp and you just have to grind on the same enemy over and over. I don't even know if it would work really because I just tried it for a bit. It was taking forever and I lost all interest in the game.

I'm guessing you didn't choose the magic user. My suspicion isnthe game was optimized for one of the characters and they didn't bother to properly test it for both characters.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Can we just accept to turn this thread into a BMX XXX thread?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

BMX Bandit.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

BMX: Breath of the Wild
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I rented BMX XXX to laugh at it. That and Turok Evolution.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

5 posts before this thread becomes a Bubsy 3D thread!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:25 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You want Bubsy 3D?
https://youtu.be/phyqC58v8ng
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but not for another three posts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:56 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18296200/zelda-mario-vr-nintendo-labo-switch

BOTW fully playable on cardboard VR soon Shock
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Can't see that not being terrible!
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:06 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím going to try it anyway!
Total posts: 689
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:12 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This game looks pretty great on an emulator. It's a shame Nintendo systems are always so under powered.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That doesn't really matter anymore. Switch is plenty powerful enough.
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on what you want out of it.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

For a rare occasion I agree with golbez on a gaming topic. Itís powerful enough to implement a great visual style. So itís plenty.

Hot take: BOTW and odyssey will age better than ďbetter lookingĒ games from today.
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

BotW is a beautiful game with excellent art direction. All I'm saying is that it's a shame that beautiful art direction sits under a jaggy blur filter on the actual system.

OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Meh
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:37 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Those differences are noticeable when you look at the pics together but ultimately pretty insignificant.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iíll argue this is a good thing.

A PC will always yield better results than a console.
And they will always emulate those one day.

It happens earlier because of the Wii u for this game.

Everyone wins. win
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:17 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Those differences are noticeable when you look at the pics together but ultimately pretty insignificant.

It looks like night and day to me but alright.

WaWard wrote:

A PC will always yield better results than a console.

Right but Nintendo systems don't even yield the results of their competitors. Obviously with the Switch that's the trade-off for it being a handheld system, but perhaps they could make a Switch Pro or something with enough horsepower to deliver what I would consider bare minimum performance. I'd buy it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The map looks shitty in that second picture. Also, table breaking! boo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cid, thatís the rumour and it would lead to even more people winning win
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Total posts: 9406
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
The map looks shitty in that second picture.

I totally agree, I much prefer the first map.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly though. I sincerely pity people so caught up in arbitrary spec snobbery that they won't let themselves enjoy Nintendo games. Breath of the Wild, on both Switch and Wii U is one of the greatest games of all time and at no point while playing did I ponder how it could look or run better.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped playing a similar adventure game on the pa4 Pro in 4K
The graphics annoyed me between the cave up until the title showed up which lasted about 2 minutes. I proceeded to not be annoyed by them for 150 hours afterwards.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím happy for things to be in HD (and even then my standards are very low as I have a 720p TV) and otherwise I donít really care anymore.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Damien wrote:

I didn't notice that, but what's the deal with that. Conservation of blurriness? It looks like it took all the blurred features from the rest of the shot and crammed it into that tiny map.

WaWard wrote:

The graphics annoyed me between the cave up until the title showed up which lasted about 2 minutes. I proceeded to not be annoyed by them for 150 hours afterwards.

The gameplay annoyed me on the plateau and I was getting tired of the game at first. Thought I would end up hating it like Ocarina in the end. Once I got off the plateau I started loving it though.
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Honestly though. I sincerely pity people so caught up in arbitrary spec snobbery that they won't let themselves enjoy Nintendo games.

Enjoying a game and acknowledging its faults are not mutually exclusive. Breath of the Wild is my favorite in the series after Link to the Past, but it also looks like blurry smudged shit on the Switch. Whether resolution is important to you or not is a matter of opinion.

Lord Golbez wrote:
Calbrena wrote:
Damien wrote:

I didn't notice that, but what's the deal with that. Conservation of blurriness? It looks like it took all the blurred features from the rest of the shot and crammed it into that tiny map.

The mini map looks normal in the most recent release so I assume that was just an issue that hadn't been patched at the time of that screenshot.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:19 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The plateau was an awesome tutorial area and you know it Goldberg Frust
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

First off, "awesome tutorial" is an oxymoron. Secondly .... nah the first part about covers it. To be fair though, I think part of the problem was I was still playing mostly hooked up to the tv on the plateau. The game is much better played portable.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why so? It taught the gameís gameplay loop exceptionally well.

There was minimal handholding
It was non linear and fostered exploration and creative thinking for its puzzles and battles
It basically made you understand the core gameplay of the game without the tedium of reading text and ultra linear and invasive pop ups

The Great Plateau is a resounding success in terms of on-boarding players in the game.

Last edited by WaWard on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It taught it in such manner that I thought issues like stamina would be much more annoying than the actually end up being (for the record I still do not like stamina). Also it kind of directed the use of navigational features I found awkward and ended up hardly using.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really canít help you there goldez 🤷🏻‍♂️

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: