Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineGrey Fox
Dad of Mod-Bot
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 746
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:  The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Reply with quote Back to top

Soooo I don't really play many games these days, just because I have other hobbies that keep me busy, but I got a WiiU for free, and I mentioned to my girlfriend that I kinda sorta maybe wanted to play the new Zelda and she went out and bought it for me. So I'm gonna play this gam since it's supposed to be the best gam ever. Anyone else playing? I will report back with my thoughts on it later.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27063
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about 5 hours in and it's sublime! Everything flows so well. None of it has felt like a tutorial or hand-holding so far.
Already probably my favourite 3D Zelda. A very high accolade indeed!
After the reveal last summer, I never watched any videos or read any articles on the game, and I'm very glad of it, as I can explore it myself at my own pace.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20087
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's out already? Was the Switch released too?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday. How did you miss that?
I wouldn't say already, either. Breath of the Wild is probably Nintendo's most delayed game, ever!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I know, but it snuck up on me, because I didn't know the release date was yet. Also, I was more surprised about the Switch, but I figured those two were released together.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Total posts: 9390
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Even I couldn't miss all the viral marketing constantly reminding us about the switch release.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I knew it was being released. Just not when. I guess the release date part wasn't viral enough.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe SG is the only website that LG visits?
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9061
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: icon_fight  Reply with quote Back to top

I want a Switch but how to buy
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11904
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll get a Switch and this game eventually. I mean I do have a Wii U, but if I intend to get a Switch...
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nintendo with their artificial scarcity problems (or are they realy just this bad at anticipating demand that they sell out immediately even before launch every bloody time). Put that together with the fact that they don't lower their prices enough and it's no surprise I haven't bought a Nintendo console in ages (I bought a refurbished Gamecube once and regretted it when the controller gave out after playing like 2 games - actually think I was in the middle of the second).
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Has Switch sold out anywhere? The stock has been really good over here. Everybody I know who wanted one has managed to get one.

Fei. Play it on the Wii U. It's near enough identical on both consoles.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't gone into stores, but if you look at the online outlets, there's nothing in any of the places I know.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Either way, I think this is the one time in recent history that Nintendo have attempted to meet demand with supply from the off. None of that Amiibo/NES Mini bullshit.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I will get the game for Wii U, since it sounds like it's the only game worth getting for Switch right now, and I'm in no big rush to get a Switch. Plus the poor Wii U could use some more love.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd consider Wii U if they lowered the price instead of pulling it from stores. Smooth move to get rid of the Wii U ahead of the release of Breath of the Wild.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll sell you mine for only 10 hundred dollars.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I can get a Wii U for less than that! Frust
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not one previously owned by me, Fei Ayanami, of Square Gamer fame.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe if you throw in some Jidoor World memorabilia, that would have some weight.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd totally recommend playing the game, whichever console its on.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, but I don't have a Wii U. I don't have a Switch either. What should I do? Onoes
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Play A Link to the Past.
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have the right console for that either.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd try to play it eventually. Don't buy a Wii U for this, but if you get a Switch somewhere down the line, grab this game for sure.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Right now a Wii U would be more valuable to me than a Switch. There's no guarantee of how much good there will be besides Zelda on the Switch, while the Wii U has the same Zelda and also can play Wii and Wii U games.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What are the best wii U games? Also, what older games could I replay thanks to a Wii U, if any?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed Super Mario 3D World quite a bit. NintendoLand is surprisingly amusing. Mario Kart is good but they ruined battle mode. They seem to have unruined it for the Switch rerelease. Affordable Space Adventures is a really good co-op indie game that actually uses the controller/TV combo really well. The new Paper Mario looks kinda fun but it doesn't sound as good as Thousand Year Door so I didn't get it.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Colo(U)r Splash is actually pretty bad and badly designed. I don't recommend it.
Best Wii U exclusives are Smash, Splatoon, Mario 3D World, and maybe Bayonetta 2. Other games that are in my top 5 but have now been ported are Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Kart 8.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wish they'd just make another Paper Mario in the style of the first two. :/

That said, I've only played like an hour of the N64 one, so maybe I should just play that.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Colo(U)r Splash is actually pretty bad and badly designed. I don't recommend it.
Best Wii U exclusives are Smash, Splatoon, Mario 3D World, and maybe Bayonetta 2. Other games that are in my top 5 but have now been ported are Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Kart 8.

Yeah, obviously there aren't that many, which is why it's lame for the console price to have stayed as high as it is. Since I never had a Wii though, it's a bit more reasonable, but I can't get one anymore for not a ridiculously inflated price and I wasn't willing to pay more than $200 anyway.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
I wish they'd just make another Paper Mario in the style of the first two. :/

That said, I've only played like an hour of the N64 one, so maybe I should just play that.

Yes, you should play it. It was an awesome game.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If Switch makes available everything I've missed including original Paper Mario (also it was during thousand year door that my Gamecube controller died) from N64 to Wii U and doesn't try charging new game prices for everything, I'll buy it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There's no Virtual Console on the Switch so far.
There's also pretty much nothing worth playing on the original Wii, IMO (beside the Mario Galaxy games, but there are plenty of Mario games you can play). Wii U has a much tighter and higher quality games catalogue.
Breath of the Wild is hands-down my favourite Wii U game and pretty much makes a mockery of Skyward Sword.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wii has two Zelda games. Are you saying neither of them is worthwhile? I mean I wouldn't be that surprised... Ocarina of Time is practically worshipped among 3D Zelda and I absolutely hated it, so not sure 3D Zelda is for me at all. I tend to think it's looked at with rose-tinted glasses overlooking the shortcomings of early 3D games though. Non-RPGs from that era really don't hold up very well. I played some of Galaxy at a friend's house once though. Seems worth playing, probably both Galaxy and Galaxy 2. Also, there's Xenoblade Chronicles. I think it's supposed to be good.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Skyward Sword wasn't bad, but I didn't care for its non-open hub world setup. Looking forward to the very open BotW.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's sounding like Skyward Sword is the reason people think "open world Zelda" is a novel thing, when in reality that's the way Zelda was from the beginning. Can't get much more open world than the original Legend of Zelda. Maybe that doesn't seem like so much, because there's not much side quests or a terribly huge world in the original (though I would argue it seems bigger than the bland 3 or 4 section world of Ocarina of Time).
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The original is open world, yes. Open 3D kind of feels more open, though--seeing off into the distance, etc. Wind Waker previously felt the most open to me.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The open word of Breath of the Wild doesn't compare to any previous Zelda game. It's hugely vast.
By the way, Skyward Sword is the only proper Wii Zelda. Twilight Princess is a Gamecube port with needless waggle.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to make that argument, then Breath of the Wlid is not a proper Switch release either. The difference is that Gamecube had its own Zelda game even if you lump Twilight Princess with Wii, whereas Wii U doesn't have one at all if you lump BotW with Switch.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This is a BORING and TEDIOUS conversation. I blame Lord Golbez. Be more FUN and EXCITING, Golbez!
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:  Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Reply with quote Back to top

Grey Fox wrote:
I got a WiiU for free

No need to be embarrassed, it's not an Ouya.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I should probably make a choose your own adventure post about choosing between Switch and Wii U and which Zelda games or other games to get for each. Frust
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
If you want to make that argument, then Breath of the Wlid is not a proper Switch release either. The difference is that Gamecube had its own Zelda game even if you lump Twilight Princess with Wii, whereas Wii U doesn't have one at all if you lump BotW with Switch.

Correct. BotW is a Wii U port.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

@LG do it.
@Fei why would anyone be embarrassed about owning an Ouya?

I don't own one, but the whole kickstarter thing makes Ouyas slightly special.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My understanding is that Ouya turned out to be pretty crap. Perhaps they ironed out the problems, I don't know, because I stopped paying attention after that.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot all about it, so it can't have done that well.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calling Game of the Year now btw. If this game had been out last year, it would have been my GotY Shock
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What if it had been out... the year before that???
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If it wasn't coming out the same year as Persona 5, I might find that to be credible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: