Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Dragon Quest XI
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27662
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yakuza 0 is pretty easy. You donít need to grind at all.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Total posts: 20356
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:39 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I jut feel like it, but fair point. Only times I've really had difficulty with a main story battle were always fixed by switching my combat style and I've leveled up significantly since the last story battle already.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I need to work out if Iím going to start another RPG now or try to get back into Persona 5.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:58 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did you never finish? Get back into it!
OfflineCid
Total posts: 711
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
I need to work out if Iím going to start another RPG now or try to get back into Persona 5.

I'm hoping a Persona 5 Steam release is on the horizon now that Atlus has started porting games on PC.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Did you never finish? Get back into it!

Nah. Other shit like getting married got in the way and I couldn't bring myself to get back into it. I find the Palaces super annoying. Have you finished Dragon Quest?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished Yakuza 0. Give me a bit. Besides, the reason I stopped before was because I was near the end and needed to grind for money to get some newly available equipment so it's gonna take a bit.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Where are you in Dragon Quest?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

As I best recall, I just forged a sword in the volcano.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damn you're probably way way over levelled if you've played longer than I have but are behind me!
The 4 bosses in the last dungeon were all super easy for me!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe. It's also probably because I spend more time talking to people in towns and such, but I might be over leveled too. I actually forget how much time is on my clock, but I think it was more.

I haven't actually done much grinding in the game though. For the most part I just fight most of the monsters I come across in dungeons. That's why I got easily distracted when I felt like I needed to grind to purchase some gear.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing the post-credits act now. Not exactly loving where the initial path the story has taken, but hoping for a satisfying resolution... whenever the game actually finishes
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is it really a full post-credits third act with story? I figured it was just lengthy post-credits dungeons and grinding with maybe slight trappings of story motivation. Basically something similar to the Dragovian stuff in DQVIII, but longer is what I expected.

Also if there's that much to it, why even put it after the credits roll?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Without spoiling it, Act II finishes pretty abruptly and there isnít much to the end scene. No idea why theyíve done it like this (other than maybe to fool the audience), but Act III is an actual continuation of the story that picks up right after the end credits and begins to tie up some loose ends.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

In other words, I'm really nowhere near the end of the game.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Youíre pretty much at the end of the second act. Once you have the sword, you can go directly for the ďfinal dungeonĒ, which isnít all that long or difficult.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:19 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I just want to farm some gold though because I think there was some new equipment in Gallopolis or the sauna town that I couldn't afford.

Also, I put it down long enough that I may need to reacquaint myself woth my standard battle strategies.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I fooled up my main 4 with that shit. After the next dungeon, youíll be able to forge metal slime weapons that I believe are better.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:32 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Damn you're probably way way over levelled if you've played longer than I have but are behind me!
The 4 bosses in the last dungeon were all super easy for me!

Okay. I'll partially take that back. I'm now at the point when I can fight (what I assume is) the REAL final boss, and it's so insanely powerful, I think I'm going to have to grind at least 20 levels and do a lot of optional endgame side quests in order to stand a chance
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FINALLY finished the entire game. Can put it aside and move on. Best Dragon Quest for sure!
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9362
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I need to continue playing this.
I was in some sort of library.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:01 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing it today. Iím sure the power of Page 1G will help you finish.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

By the power of 1G, I have the power!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Where are others in this game btw? Point in story, time played and character levels.

After attempting the final boss once, I played about another 15 hours of side story stuff in order to upgrade gear and abilities and grind for the battle. I think it was my 5th or 6th try that i finally beat the fucker on. My party was level 68-72 (Luminary was 71) and I had about 75 hours on the clock (not accounting for plays that ended in game overs).
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:12 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Some library in an icy place. Probably 30 hours of playtime.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It seemed pretty far in at the time, but there was a lot to come!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Library is near the end of the first act.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:46 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's somewhat hard to place locations in the story, when pretty much every location is visited at least twice (though for the library, I just went back to check a book).
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the towns/regions are visited twice, but the dungeons are largely not (well at least not in the second act). Library counts as a dungeon.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There are alternate versions of some of the dungeons in the third act.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:06 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Finally on to the third act now. Who knows how long before I finish that.

I finished the "final boss" with Jade and she started saying her usual "well that was easy" line. She wasn't wrong. Although there was a bit of a close call period in the middle of that battle.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I donít even remember the boss. It was pretty easy. What level are you? Lots of act 3 is skipable. I recommend you be at around level 70 like I was though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm low 50's with most characters. Maybe 55 with the hero. I forget. I can't find the spot south of Octagonia that I'm supposed to go to..
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is that the thing right at the start of the act?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:21 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I found it. I was looking in the wrong area.

Okay, so I thought grinding to 70+ could wind up getting annoying depending on how quickly I have to get there and how much opportunity the third act gives for me to get there naturally, but what's really annoying...

That the levels for the rest of my party are reset back to Yggdrasil levels. Whether that's preset or the game save actually remembers what my party had at the time, I don't know, but either way it sure adds a lot to the grind. The rest of my party is insanely weak compared to the hero right now. Here's hoping something happens to boost them back up without me having to grind the whole way.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well...
The party eventually get their levels back after a couple of hours and you can redistribute all the points on the skill board again. What I didnít like with the ďgo back in time and fix shitĒ twist was that it I did all the character development from the second act.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:05 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I finished this library business. Check!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:15 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well I just got my first game over. Bosses in the third act, at least (possibly) optional bosses, are no joke. Frustrating because the monsters in the dungeon were not diffixult enough to create that expectation.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Which boss?
My first game over was probably the boss on the boat in the first act.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The revived spider boss under the orphanage in Octagonia. I actually got him in the red with my backup party. I think the first party barely had a chance to hit him at all because it started needing healing from the previous fight and was kept on the defensive. So I definitely would have beaten him if not for that two fights in a row crap.

I'm pretty sure it was my first game over because the only other time I remember needing the backup party was against Dora in Gray in the first act and I won that.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:47 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That boss fucked me over too. I did a bit of a grind in the dungeon and wasnít as prepared as I should have been for the boss group at the end. I totally didnít expect it to go straight from there isnít another boss fight, so that battle went very slowly. Then I died. Killed it easily on the second attempt though, as I was expecting it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I actually prepared myself a bit for a second boss fight. I had two dead characters near the end of the first and revived them, but
Vince went and finished off the last guy before I had a chance to heal, so I started the second battle with a party with about half HP and low MP. And then the second boss attacked first, I think, to make things worse.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What did you think about the going back in time to fix stuff twist? I was initially annoyed that it undid all the hours of (albeit minimal) character development and sub plots that the second act provided. Should have known they wouldn't be bold enough to permanently kill off a main character
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm somewhat withholding judgment until the end, but yeah I had a similar reaction. Well at least I had that concern from the moment they mentioned it and yeah.... I feel kind of sad that
some great stuff from the second act like the soldiers of smile gets erased. At least Sylvando still can meet his father but the development isn't as interesting and feels like a weaker rehash. Same with Hendrik. He gets his development but its not tempered by tragedy so its a little weaker. On the other hand it is interesting to see this sort of alternate plot flow and I do like that it feels like a natural continuation of the game's plot rather than tacked on post-game challenges. Well, lilenthey say, to lose time is to lose much. It's almost like the game is warningnyou to not play the post game content if you want to keep that character development.

I also got annoyed with the hero after going into the past for really taking silent protagonist to the limit. Like I know he doesn't have dialogue, but I always thought it was implicit that he communicates with the party. So why is it that he doesn't warn anyone, especially Jade, about the king and just goes along to the banquet like everything's hunky-dory. Even if he was worried about consequences to revealing time travel, he could jist say he sense it as the luminary.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Thereís probably quite a lot of sub story I missed in the third act. I was mainly just trying to beat the thing.
OfflineHKK
i liek trains
Large Flat Mushroom
Large Flat Mushroom

Total posts: 4178
Female Female
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have beaten DQ1-IX multiple times.

I have liked every DQ game.

DQ is not like FF. Each new DQ builds upon the previous. DQ fans tend to like every game in the series which is contrary to FF which tries to reinvent the wheel every new game, which naturally creates FF fan wars of "what's the best FF?".

DQ fans don't care. DQ just owns.

I say all of this with a preface because this is the first disappointing DQ game I've ever played. I bought it at release and I haven't even beaten part 1 yet. I normally beat a new DQ pretty damn fast. Rather than iterate and improve on things, I feel for the first time in series history they have regressed and made a worse game, especially in comparison to the last console DQ, DQVIII.

It sucks but it is what it is. I have almost no resolve to beat it. I should probably force myself one of these days.

It's nice to see it's more successful than past entries outside of Japan, but it's also the entry where they decided to say,"fuck it" and FF-ize it with endless cutscenes, non stop talking, hand holding. DQ was the show me, don't tell me series. Now they've gone the FF route to appease to people who don't even like Dragon Quest.

Probably the most disappointing game I've played this decade. Game is straight up hairy testicle balls and fuck FF fans who wanted DQ to be an FF game.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think you maybe just don't like games anymore HKK.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:58 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HKK wrote:
I have beaten DQ1-IX multiple times.

I have liked every DQ game.

DQ is not like FF. Each new DQ builds upon the previous. DQ fans tend to like every game in the series which is contrary to FF which tries to reinvent the wheel every new game, which naturally creates FF fan wars of "what's the best FF?".

DQ fans don't care. DQ just owns.

I say all of this with a preface because this is the first disappointing DQ game I've ever played. I bought it at release and I haven't even beaten part 1 yet. I normally beat a new DQ pretty damn fast. Rather than iterate and improve on things, I feel for the first time in series history they have regressed and made a worse game, especially in comparison to the last console DQ, DQVIII.

It sucks but it is what it is. I have almost no resolve to beat it. I should probably force myself one of these days.

It's nice to see it's more successful than past entries outside of Japan, but it's also the entry where they decided to say,"fuck it" and FF-ize it with endless cutscenes, non stop talking, hand holding. DQ was the show me, don't tell me series. Now they've gone the FF route to appease to people who don't even like Dragon Quest.

Probably the most disappointing game I've played this decade. Game is straight up hairy testicle balls and fuck FF fans who wanted DQ to be an FF game.

Do you like it better than persona 5?
OfflineHKK
i liek trains
Large Flat Mushroom
Large Flat Mushroom

Total posts: 4178
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:13 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Persona 5 was also disappointing.

I don't hate games. I still love em just fine. Currently playing through Bloodborne and love it. Played Sekiro, loved that too.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
New Page Bug
New Page Bug

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well a lot of people like DQXI who haven't like FF for a looooong time, so I don't think your characterization is very accurate.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: