Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Favourites of year 2G - page
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 26818
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:10 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Only watch it for The Walking Dead, and I only watch that because my wife is still clinging to the hope that it'll become not shit again at some point.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 19941
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It would probably be fine if they didn't drag it out so much.

Anyway, 1G997. My favorite game was definitely FF7. Honorable mentions: FF Tactics (or maybe that should be for last page since it technically came here at the beginning of 98), BoF III.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Final Fantasy VII all the way. Never been so excited to play a game as I was with that (VIII came close though, but mainly off the back of enjoying VII so much).
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is probably my second favourite. There were a lot of good PS1 games that year though!
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I was so hyped for that game and it didn't disappoint. Siglehandedly turned me from a Nintendo fan to Sony when I never really thought about Playstation beforehand.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:54 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Never made me a Sony fan. I enjoyed plenty of PS games, but my main love was still the N64 at the time, though my favourite genre by far was RPGs, and the N64 just didn't have them.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 8918
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ok computer came out that year and I saw Radiohead with a crowd of at most 2G people. It was neat.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

OK Computer was great, but I wasn't really in to it or Radiohead at the time. I preferred shit like Savage Garden
Got to be true to my 1997 self and have "Savage Garden" by Savage Garden as my album of the year. Could be worse. I listen to Shania Twain's 1997 album a lot as well

EDIT: I do actually prefer OK Computer and probably about another 50 albums though
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Never made me a Sony fan. I enjoyed plenty of PS games, but my main love was still the N64 at the time, though my favourite genre by far was RPGs, and the N64 just didn't have them.

I didn't have an N64. Definitely couldn't afford to get more than one console per gen back then. Would have been leaning toward N64 with Playstation hardly on my radar at all until the ads for FF7 started coming out.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:37 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I knew I wanted FF7 before the N64 was out!
We're in danger of this becoming a generic FFVII nostalgia thread, so I'll move on to my next category, films. Maybe "The Fifth Element"?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Total posts: 9144
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Computer was definitely my favorite album of the year, by far.

Regarding GotY, thatís a tough one. I loved FFVII like the rest of you, however FFT had a much better replay value. I remember I was still playing it 5 or 6 years later.

If FFT can count as 98, then maybe FFVII is my 97 game and FFT my 98 game.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:51 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say if you didn't play it until the US release, either the Japanese or US release year can count. Sadly, there wasn't a European version (until about a decade later, on the PSP) :/
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:58 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember well there was a demo disc which we played in Japanese and which came with FFVII or some other Square game we got that year. Iím not 100% certain about this though. I do remember we played FFVII in Japanese first and got stuck right before the end of disc one because we couldnít figure out some instructions.

Film of the year for me was Perfect Blue. Gattaca would probably rank second.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:54 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

1G997 was a pretty good year for movies. Men in Black was great. L.A. confidential was pretty good if I recall correctly. Good Will Hunting was pretty good. Even Batman and Robin was super campy fun. I think for favorite though I would go with Austin Powers. Before they killed it with the sequels, that was just a really funny movie.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

South Park was my favourite TV show of 1997. I was pretty much obsessed with it for a year or two. Amusingly, I find the first few seasons terrible now
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I liked South Park but I think I mostly remember watching Evangelion and Escaflowne that year. Then again I canít remember if they started being broadcasted on French tv in 96 or 97. It totally could have been 96 only.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna class Evangelion as 1995. Didn't see it until 2000 though.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently Eva was released in France in 96. If I remember well Esca replaces it on the same time slot on TV once Eva was over, so itís likely it overlapped between 96 and 97.

I canít think of anything that was 97 only, so maybe South Park indeed. Then again, Ally Mc Beal was 97 too and it was a pretty funny series.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Teletubbies is also noteworthy in that I was in the last years of secondary school, but most of the people in my year still voluntarily watched it. It was huge. Teletubbies and Spice Girls totally defined this country between 96 and 98.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Dude. I saw like one episode of Teletubbies. It was mockable, but also stultifying. I couldn't possibly watch it on the reg. Better to go with Blue's Clues.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Blue's Clues wasn't a big thing here, but I did my best to make it a big thing in my own social circles. Especially once I found out that America had a different version of it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We did?!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, yours is the original, but it was re-green screened and redubbed with different actors for the UK version. I loved seeing the differences between the two versions, regional accents, words used etc.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna have to check out what the UK version was like.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:03 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We had a Liverpudlian guy called Kevin. he later went on to do an ill-fated home shopping channel and now presents field segments on light entertainment magazine shows.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think I can probably also echo the sentiments of South Park being my favirite new show of 97. Buffy was also pretty good. I didn't watch it until much later though after the series was already complete and I was skeptical that it was even watchable at that point. It was surprisingly good though. At least the first few seasons. The last 4 all all have some significant warts.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot Buffy was 97. I didnít see many episodes though as I didnít have the channel it was broadcasted on.

I had never heard of Blues Clues until going to Damienís birthday party. I knew what teletubbies were but it was never a major thing where Iím from.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You got anime, we got psychedelic preschool shows.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
SG Survivor
SG Survivor

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The weird thing is that we can thank Silvio Berlusconi for that. Really.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: