Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Favourites of year 2G + page
View previous topic :: View next topic
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11883
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, 2G15 is packed with albums I like! Thereís no chance of picking one favourite here.

- Kurt Vile - bílieve iím goin down...
Although Iíd heard previous KV records, it wasnít until probably 2G16 or even 17 that I really got into him, and this excellent album was his most recent. Itís all good, and it features what is easily his most popular single, ďPretty PimpinĒ. Itís a very good single.

-Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Australian musician Courtney Barnettís first full length album. Great tunes and super witty, funny and melancholy lyrics. ďPedestrian at BestĒ is a good song to check out. So is ďAvant GardenerĒ, though it predates this album.

-Destroyer - Poison Season
Eccentric indie rocker Dan Bejar of Vancouver has released many albums as Destroyer since the mid-90s. Most are good, and this is one of the best in my opinion.

-Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
I got into FJM with this album, a perfect mix of sincerity and cynicism (and just good songwriting), and then got back out of him with his next album which leaned way too heavily on the cynicism. But this one remains great.

-Joanna Newsom - Divers
All of her albums are great, and Divers is no exception. She sings eccentrically, she plays harp, she sings about weird fantastical things sometimes, it all seems like it could be a bit much, but it works. This may be the most accessible to skeptics.

A few others that deserve mentions are Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens, Currents by Tame Impala, and Have You In My Wilderness by Julia Holter. I only very recently started listening to that last one.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27045
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

2G15 was a decent year, but my top album is "Paper Gods" by Duran Duran. I expected absolutely nothing from it, but really enjoyed almost every track. It doesn't stick to the 80's sound that people would probably expect.

I apologise for instantly not being as cool as Fei Sad Tea
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Total posts: 9370
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím the least cool out there as I havenít bought any new album since the last one released by Daft Punk in 2013. Even less cool, I forgot to mention it on that page, thinking it had been released in 2012. Sad Tea
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:46 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Donít worry about being cool, just worry about listening to music you like! That said Iíll still make fun if Justin Bieber is mentioned or something.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena forgot the SOUND OF THE SUMMER Onoes

Bieber's only ever made it onto NTWIC2G once, I believe (Baby. Because I went to a really bad night club that year where people in their late 40's to late 50's were dancing to it)

My other top albums of the year are "Tree" by SEKAI NO OWARI, "The Early Years Ė Revisited" by Zebrahead and "My Love Is Cool" by Wolf Alice. The latter is cool, I guess
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20081
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

2G15 had some pretty good games. Arkham Knight, MGSV, Life is Strange. Yoshi's Wooly World was also released in 2G15, but that wasn't the version I played. I played Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World on 3DS. Whether I consider it or not though, I would probably go for MGSV for favorite of the year. Kind of lame to admit I never finished my favorite of the year, because I got stuck on a mission and never ended up coming back to it. Still it's not story that makes this game fantastic, but the gameplay, and I quite enjoyed what I got out of it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Metal Gear Solid V is also my favourite. From this year on, I know what Iím going to pick.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Calbrena forgot the SOUND OF THE SUMMER Onoes

It wasnít really the sound of the summer to me since it was released while I was in Qatar and every day was summer there. That being said, Random Access Memories is one of my favorite albums ever and Iíve been listening to it on a loop a lot, especially during my commutes in Singapore. I really like how the whole album is a weird/nostalgic time traveling experience, and just like with Discovery you have to listen to the tracks in a very specific order.

Anyway, sorry about the off-topic 2G13 ramble. I did listen to it a LOT in 2G14 and 2G15 though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Metal Gear Solid V is also my favourite. From this year on, I know what Iím going to pick.

I remember what I picked for 2G17 and 2G18 on video games. Don't remember offhand for 2G16.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Better Call Saul was my favourite new TV show of 2G15. Its like a Breaking Bad with lower stakes but over the seasons, itís slowly morphing into Breaking Bad itself.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't looked at the shows of 2G15 yet, but I'm probably going to agree with you on Better Call Saul on that too. Hmm... it does have some good competition though with both Daredevil and Jessica Jones starting in 2G15. Agent Carter also deserves a mention as a series that was much better than its progenitor, which mystifyingly outlasted it by so much. One thing that puts Better Call Saul ahead of DD and JJ is that it hasn't really had a disappointing season. Probably just a better show all around too, but I'd say JJ season 1 gives it a run for its money. Definitely, if it weren't for fucking Officer Simpson. God, I hate that guy.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

For TV shows...

- The Grinder
A truly hilarious show featuring great performances all around, including from the kids, but especially from the leads Rob Lowe and Fred Savage.

- Catastrophe
Still only seen two of the now four seasons of this, but very funny show about two surly people (American man and British woman) who have a fling, make a baby, and decide to stick it out.

- Deutschland 83
A young man in the East German military is chosen to go into West Germany as a spy because of his resemblance to a West German pianist. He does the spying but also enjoys his first experience in the West. Good drama but funny too, which is also how Iíd describe The Americans.

- Master of None
Aziz Ansari doing his thing and doing it well.

- Chewing Gum
Very funny British show about a young woman from a religious immigrant family venturing into sex and whatnot.

- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Really good first season. Drops off dramatically in the second season, sadly.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:03 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I like how we've gone from a definitive favourite to multiple shortlists.

"Inside Out" was my favourite film of 2G15. I think I only saw it in the cinema twice though.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:26 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I guess I find it harder to pick a definitive favourite for recent years.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probably Force Awakens for 2G15 for me. It had flaws, but I didn't hate it like most people seemed to and I don't recall much else I saw that year that I would fave.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Force Awakens was good. Never felt the need to rewatch it yet though. Seen Inside out at least 5 times though.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FA was definitely decent but not the best film of the year imho. I still have to think about which film might deserve that title though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

To be blunt, I don't feel much need to rewatch many movies at all anymore. Certainly not one from each year, so whether I want rewatch a movie or not isn't going to be a viable measure of whether it's my fave.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:18 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, Iím at a real loss for 2G15 games. I guess Undertale? I never got super far in it, but I did really like what I saw.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Undertale is a pretty short game, so you should get on finishing that.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think Black Panther is the only film I saw twice in the cinema last year. Been so busy with the wedding, moving up north, new jobs, buying a house, moving that I just havenít had that much free time for cinema over the last couple of years. To tie in with the other thread, a 5Gs film for me is one Iíd happily watch again from the start as soon as Iíve finished watching it the first time.

Iíve started Undertale twice and then not carried on after a game over. Fucked up by finally getting it, only to have it announced for Switch the very next day :/
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9049
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The Witcher 3 came out in 3G15.

Iím at a loss for anything else. I donít remember games much tbh.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Super Mario Maker was a great game for Talking Real.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing Iím too excited to report for 2G15 movies, but Spotlight was very good, and I also very much enjoyed Far From the Madding Crowd and Mistress America. I have a feeling Iíd really like The Lobster, but I still havenít seen it.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did you make all those up?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:16 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I havenít seen Spotlight but it looked interesting from the trailer. Brooklyn also looked ok but I never got around to watching it, I should at some point.

I vaguely remember hearing about The Lobster but thatís it.

To answer Damienís question, afaik theyíre all real movies.
The Spotlight movie got a lot of attention at the time, a bit like The Post a few years later (2017 or 2018?). I havenít seen either yet. The Post is on my watch list but there are literally hundreds of films on my watch list, while on average I get to watch maybe one per week. Itís gonna take a while before Iím done with that list.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:25 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I havenít seen Brooklyn but itís slightly noteworthy in my mind because it was filmed at least partly in Montreal, and I walked by Saoirse Ronan on my way home one day. She was in period dress and everything.
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So itís actually fake news Brooklyn? Onoes
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They make dresses for that?
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

YES.

Theyíre made by the same company that does wet dream diapers.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

2G15 photo is me and Sally at the Pikey Party
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bloody pikeys
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:48 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
2G15 photo is me and Sally at the Pikey Party

Nice one. My own cosplay a few years before was the best though.
And I still wear it on a fairly regular basis, best investment ever!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think this hoodie may have been something that somebody abandoned at my place. That and the hat went to a charity shop when I moved. I still have the old England away shirt and probably the betting shop pen thatís behind my ear
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bumping this, as it makes no sense to be pushing the confusing prequel before this is done

The exceptionally eclectic NTWIC2G15 track list:
Quote:

Disc 1:
1. Dolly Style - Hello Hi
2. SEKAI NO OWARI - Dragon Night
3. Sia - Chandelier
4. Morland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me
5. Jonathan Coulton (featuring Ellen McLain) - You Wouldn't Know
6. Zebrahead - Playmate Of The Year (Revisited)
7. Eric Saade - Sting
8. New Order - Superheated
9. Duran Duran - You Kill Me with Silence
10. Charlie Puth Feat. Meghan Trainor - Marvin Gaye
11. TiŽsto - Wasted [feat. Matthew Koma]
12. Mutsuhiko Izumi Remixed by Ryu☆ - JET WORLD (Ryu☆Remix)
13. James Ford Murphy and Kuana Torres Kahele and Napua Greig - Lava

Disc 2:
1. Duran Duran - Paper Gods (feat. Mr Hudson)
2. Samir & Viktor - Groupie
3. Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)
4. Electro Velvet - Still In Love With You
5. Owl City - Tokyo [Feat. Sekai No Owari]
6. Imagine Dragons - Polaroid
7. Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices
8. Tomohisa Sako - Getta Banban
9. SteveNSteveN - OK Toilet Bowl
10. Labrinth Feat Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful
11. Magnus Carlsson - MŲt mig i Gamla Stan
12. Electric Light Orchestra - When I Was A Boy
13. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
14. Wolf Alice - The Wonderwhy
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It doesnít really qualify as a favourite of the year, but 2G15 was the last federal election in Canada, when we finally got the Conservatives out after nearly a decade. We ended up with Trudeau, who was not my first choice, but was unquestionably a major improvement on Harper.

This year we get to see if he can survive a second election!!
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

When are you guys voting?
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9049
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
It doesnít really qualify as a favourite of the year, but 2G15 was the last federal election in Canada, when we finally got the Conservatives out after nearly a decade. We ended up with Trudeau, who was not my first choice, but was unquestionably a major improvement on Harper.

This year we get to see if he can survive a second election!!

Unfortunately if he doesnít survive he will lose to a baby face and pandering to fascists version of Harper boo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ford nation?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:21 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Splatoon deserves mentioning here, even though I didnít like it half as much as some people I know. Also the Heavenswaward expansion of Final Fantasy XIV. Decent story about dragons and shit.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Dragons and MWAMA
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:27 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really ought to get around to finishing Stormblood, but I find sub quests, seasonal events and general fucking about more fun than following the long ass story.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Splatoon does deserve mentioning for originality. Itís not my kind of games but I can definitely see the appeal to some people.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It did amazingly well in Japan. I really wasnít sure about it when it was first revealed though. The only real thing that lets it down is that you rely too much on the skills and non-arseholeness of your team mates, but as thereís no voice communication or sensible match-up option, itís all down to chance. You can be doing amazing for the entire game, but a team mate dropping out (happens often) or one playing for cheap kills rather than trying to level the ink ratio will leave you with a very poor result. Itís fun though and I like the style.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I never played Splatoon. Should play it on Switch? I generally stray from games that require multiplayer to be fun. Switch tends to have too many of those.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Splatoon 2 is basically Splatoon 1 with tweaks and added maps/weapons/modes. The main game is team based, but you don't really communicate. There is a pretty fun single player platform-like mode and the DLC expansion is all single player story content.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Getting close to the end. Let's push this through. Favorite presidential candidate of 2G15 - Bernie Sanders.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:02 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Favourite Eurovision entry of 2G15: Morland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me (Norway)
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bernie was a pretty cool candidate.

Speaking of elections, today I spotted one of my neighbors with a red hat saying ďmake Democrats cry againĒ. Sad Tea
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Neighbors are the worst.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: