Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Favourites of year 2G + page
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Total posts: 9406
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Are we allowed to talk about 2G14 yet?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27075
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We are required to talk about 2G14 now!

My favourite films of the year are probably Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and The Lego Movie. Probably in that order.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20097
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If Captain America The Winter Soldier was 2G14, and I'll trust Damien that it was, that's definitely my pick for favorite movie of the year. That was one of the best Marvel movies easily.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did a Google. 26 March 2014.
I love how the Captain America films are all so different. Different genres even.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why was it that good?
Sorry, I was living under a rock then and missed it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It just was. Can't explain. Just watch.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11918
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lazy! boo
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what my favorite show of 2G14 is. The Flash? It's ok, but I wouldn't generally think of it as a favorite. Then there's Bojack Horseman. Highly acclaimed, but way too depressing for me to consider it a favorite.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Which season of GoT aired in 2G14? Whichever it was probably counts as my favorite series released that year.

As for movies, Lego movie maybe? Certainly not the Hobbit anyway, I think I didn’t even bother watching that third one as the first and second ones were so bad.

Guardians of the galaxy was alright for a superhero movie but I’m not really a fan of that genre.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm only doing shows that started in a year and sometimes shows that ended in a year. Too much to try to figure out which show running during a year was my fave. GoT was probably fourth season. Heck if I remember what happened that season.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The Fargo TV series was my favourite new show of 2G14. Still haven't finished the second season or watched any of the 3rd yet though.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have yet to watch the Fargo TV series, it’s on my todo list though.

Regarding GoT season 4, isn’t it the one in which one of our favorite characters dies?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure I have a definitive favourite album of 2G14, but I can't for the life of me remember it. Erasure's "Violet Flame" was good, but still not a scratch on their pre 2G10 stuff. My most listened to album was probably the London cast recording of the 2G14 Miss Saigon revival. That wouldn't count as an album really though. I might come back with a better one later
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Favorite character death of 2G14, not to be confused with death of favorite character. We're coming to the end of the line, if we can keep getting through these pages. Only 4 more pages after this one and then we'll probably have to stop until the end of 2G19.

Last edited by Lord Golbez on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I’m starting with albums, but I’m not finding much for 2G14. Maybe something obvious will occur to me later. In the meantime, here are two 2G14 albums by artists I’ve more recently come to like.

- “Sunbathing Animal” by Parquet Courts

- “Burn Your Fire For No Witness” by Angel Olsen

I have listened to both of these albums and they’re very good, but in both cases I’ve listened to other albums by these artists a lot more than these particular ones. So this isn’t a huge stretch, but it is a stretch. Maybe if I listen to these ones more they’ll become my favourites.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'll see if i can dig any inspiration from the NTWIC2G14 track list.

Quote:

Disc 1:
1. DJ Damien & DJ Wetherspoon feat. MC Barber - Looking For Willies
2. Alcazar - Blame It On The Disco
3. Ace Wilder - Do It (New Version)
4. Dave Audé - Aftermath (Here We Go) [feat. Andy Bell]
5. Manic Street Preachers - Walk Me To The Bridge
6. James Blunt - Bonfire Heart
7. The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm
8. Lily Allen - Air Balloon
9. Basim - Cliché Love Song
10. Nicole Scherzinger - Boomerang (Cahill Remix)
11. Derek Mount And Riley Friesen - Really Happy Postman
12. New Found Glory - Selfless
13. YOHIO - To The End
14. Eva Noblezada & Alistair Brammer - Last Night Of The World

Disc 2:
1. Miss Saigon London 2014 Cast - Bui Doi
2. Cir.Cuz - Diva
3. Taylor Swift - Blank Space
4. WEAPON OF CHOICE - Mr. Goodbye
5. TEO - Cheesecake
6. Oscar Zia - Yes We Can
7. Suburban Legends - Kiss The Girl
8. Aarzemnieki - Cake to Bake
9. Erasure - Under The Wave
10. Tegan and Sara - Everything Is Awesome!!! (Feat. The Lonely Island)
11. McBusted - Gone
12. Zebrahead - Sex, Lies & Audiotape
13. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason
14. Blue - Without You

From that, the McBusted and NFG albums were fun, but not worthy of album of the year. The Manic Street Preachers album ("Futurology") was probably the best of the bunch.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently Gone Girl was also released in 2G14.
While not the best Fincher film ever, I actually enjoyed it more than the LEGO movie or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also IMDB lists Interstellar among the best ranked films of 2014. I have yet to watch it though.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Interstellar was the overrated space film of the year.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You mean even more overrated than Guardians of the Galaxy?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

As in people that don't normally see films were going to see it because they'd been told it was jaw-droppingly amazing. Also see The Martian (2G15) and whatever the ones after that that I can't be arsed to recall are. They're all 3Gs at best.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've never seen Interstellar, but I have to agree GotG is overrated. It's good, but even among Marvel movies, it's not top tier.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

From what I heard about it, Gravity was the overrated space film of whatever year that was.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Livejournal tells me my favourite game of 2G14 was probably "South Park: The Stick of Truth". This reminds me that I really ought to get around to playing the sequel (which I've heard isn't as good)
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Looking for games, I can tell this is getting to the point where I’m barely playing any.

That said, my games of 2G14 are Mario Kart 8 and Shovel Knight, both of which are very good.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mario Kart 8 improved with the DLC tracks, and then again with being portable on the Switch.
2G14 was the year of Sporting Real. Shaun joined us to commentate "Canadian Hour"
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I might have missed something but I didn't see too much of interest when looking through the games of 2G14. Maybe Yoshi's New Island is my favorite. Yeah, it's probably too easy and not as good as the original, but it's still good Yoshi's Island fun and I didn't see much else.

I just got Mario Kart 8 on the Mario day sale. Remains to be seen how much I will like it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I preferred Woolly World to New Island.
Pokémon Omega Ruby was my second favourite game. Added quite a lot of new features and content for a remake.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Woolly World was better, but it was not released in 2G14.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shovel Knight was pretty nice.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh. Yeah. I never got too far in it. Partly because there were things costing money that was way disproportionate to what I would get in a run through a level.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven’t looked that closely yet, but even a quick search has proven 2G14 to be a very good movie year for me. Grand Budapest Hotel is one of my favourite Wes Anderson movies, Inherent Vice is one of my favourite Paul Thomas Anderson movies (no relation), and Boyhood is one of my favourite Richard Linklater movies. And that is significant, because all of those people consistently make great movies.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

How did I not notice that? I could have to rethink Captain America. I mean Winter Soldier was top tier Marvel movie but Grand Budapest was also very good!
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven’t seen Grand Budapest Hotel yet but I agree that Wes Anderson’s films are consistently good.

I really need to catch up on all the great films I’ve missed over the past few years.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Grand Budapest Hotel is also an absolutely amazing Ralph Fiennes performance. That man plays one hell of a dandy.

EDIT:
2G14 also started some shows I really like.

- “Jane the Virgin”, which is criminally underappreciated. One of the most consistently good TV shows I’ve ever seen.

- “BoJack Horseman” which is the perfect mix of horrible emotional truth and cheap animal puns.

- “Lovesick” (or “Scrotal Recall” rofl) which tells an engaging story of a group of friends in a creatively nonlinear way.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I still haven’t watched Scrotal Recall (even though it was named after a Tweet I made). Utopia was another good Channel 4 TV series from 2G14. I thought it went on for a couple too many episodes though.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Still highly recommend it.

A couple other notable mentions from 2G14 movies now that I’ve looked more closely.

- “Frank”, which features Michael Fassbender hidden beneath a papier maché head almost the entire time.

- “Paddington”, which I thought looked pretty awful (I generally can’t stand the CG-animals-in-live-action-films shit), but finally broke down and watched recently because it receives such universal praise. It was thoroughly enjoyable. The art direction also takes some cues from Wes Anderson to good effect.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Frank was really strange for lots of reasons. One of these reasons is that it tells an almost entirely fictitious story about Frank Sidebottom. I think there are two unrelated films that are more of an actual biography.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I don’t know a ton about Frank Sidebottom, but I agree it’s an odd pseudo-connection.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't Paddington already come up in this thread?
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9074
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Paddington is a family movie masterpiece
It is wholesome AF
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Didn't Paddington already come up in this thread?

It came up, but in another thread I believe. Probably LP2PW.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it was the sequel thread because Ibseem to remember Paddington 2 coming up also.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, you’re probably right.

Incredibly we are already on the final stretch of 2G14. Get your 2G14 faves down while you can!
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I’ve just realized Silicon Valley was released in 2014. Probably my favorite series of the year then.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

2G14 is when:

run the jewels 2 came out. It’s a good hard hitting hip hop album. I still regret missing out on their show here.

King gizzard and the lizard wizards I’m in your mind fuzz came out. They’re a super eccentric modern psychedelic rock band and I like them. There’s a chtululu on the cover too.

It’s also the year Mario kart 8 came out. I felt it was a good Mario Kart game. O
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The main problem with Mario Kart 8 (the Wii U version) is its garbage excuse for a battle mode. I believe this was rectified in the Switch version.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It was. I never played it. ruroken
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I played the battle mode once (switch version obvs). It was awkward and I sucked at it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I believe they improved the battle mode for the Switch version. Haven’t played it though. This mode was one people used to be super annoyed at when it sucked in past games (all the ones after 64), but these people (me included) have mostly given up caring about it.
The best new feature Mario Kart 8 brought to the table was non-Mario series characters and tracks. The next entry in the series should be all the more varied for it.
Objection!
Confirmed Nonse
Confirmed Nonse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It’s a shame, battle mode used to be fun in Super Mario Kart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: