Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> SG Game of the Year 2G18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 26396
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: icon_funny SG Game of the Year 2G18 Reply with quote Back to top

It's almost the end of another year. Let's look back and reminisce on the games we liked this year.
Here are some suggested categories. You don't need to have one for each of them.

RPG
Sports/racing
Family game
Fighting game
Independent game
Strategy game
Mobile game
Handheld game
Action/platform
Rhythm
Ongoing game
Multiplayer game
Remake/remaster
ESports
Game studio
Art direction
Narrative
Soundtrack

There's also one ongoing question. Does a Switch game count in the handheld category?
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my submission...

Game of the Year: Dragon Quest XI
RPG: Dragon Quest XI
Fighting: Smash Bros Ultimate (is Smash a fighting game though? if not, Soulcalibur VI )
Action/Platform: Dead Cells
Mobile: Donut County
Rhythm: Dancerush Stardom
Remake: Pokémon Let's GO Pikachu/Eevee
Indie: Dead Cells
Ongoing Game: Overwatch (I only play during the events now, mainly the special modes and minigames).
Studio: Bandai Namco (Smash, Soulcalibur and Taiko are all very fun recent releases)
Art Direction: Dragon Quest XI

I'm drawing a blank on narrative and soundtrack right now. Not sure Dragon Quest deserves to be praised on story or originality, and it certainly doesn't win anything music-wise. I guess God of War is a decent nomination for that, but I can't nominate it myself, as I haven't even played it.
I'd have suggested Detective Pikachu as handheld game, but I only played about half an hour of it (my 3DS battery has all but died), so I'm leaving that category out.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Total posts: 11446
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I’m not sure I’ve actually played a single game that was released in 2G18 Shock Except a couple mobile games I guess.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 19673
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I'm concerned, Switch games definitely count in the handheld category, not only because they can be played as handheld games, but because I almost never play them on the tv.

RPG - Dragon Quest XI - This is pretty easy a great classic JRPG and probably the best in the series.

Fighting game - Smash Bros. Ultimate. Only fighting game I've played this year and I've had lots of fun with it.

Handheld game - Also Smash Bros. I don't think I've played too many Switch or other handheld games from this year though

Action game - Probably Spider-Man, if that counts (it's almost an RPG, but at least an action RPG). Definitely great web swinging action once you get the hang of it, and a good story for a game of its type.

Ongoing game - Not sure what this is. My best guess is something like Life is Strange 2. Probably only game I've played that fits this category and it's pretty good, so I'll go with that.

Multiplayer game - Again, it's probably got to be Smash for me, since it's the only game I've played multiplayer that I recall.

Narrative - Tough. I might go with DQXI. Even though the plot is very simplistic, it's well told with lots of colorful characters giving it charm.

Overall (I'm adding this) - The GOTY for me easily goes to Dragon Quest XI, which just has a perfect classic JRPG charm.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:

Ongoing game - Not sure what this is. My best guess is something like Life is Strange 2. Probably only game I've played that fits this category and it's pretty good, so I'll go with that.

For "ongoing" I meant game that was released in a previous year but has a constant stream of new content. Mainly online games and MMOS. Life is Strange 2 can just about count though as it is currently unfinished (I think. I haven't played it). It could also count next year, I guess.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

In that case, my ongoing game is LP2PW.
Total posts: 8676
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The only game I finished in 2g18 is botw and this is 2g17 GOTY
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:
The only game I finished in 2g18 is botw and this is 2g17 GOTY

I second this.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

BotW was the first game I finished in 2G18 (or maybe second). It wasn't 2G17 GOTY though. I found both Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn to be better. Probably would have been GOTY if it were a 2G18 game.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
BotW was the first game I finished in 2G18 (or maybe second). It wasn't 2G17 GOTY though. I found both Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn to be better. Probably would have been GOTY if it were a 2G18 game.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If only Nintendo had known to wait!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'd put Smash as multiplayer game (by the virtue of me having played it multiplayer last weekend) and also handheld game. Pokémon doesn't win this as there have been better handheld Pokémon RPGs. One of the things that makes it special is the big TV option.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure about art direction. I might go with DQXI because it is a good looking game and definitely best of any Dragon Quest. It's also the same basic Toriyama style that's been around forever though. Not sure what else I would choose instead though. Maybe God of Wawar.

Not sure on soundtrack either. Not DQXI because it's few tracks, many reused, and most pretty basic. Not sure what else though because I don't really remember the soundtrack of most other games I played too well. Maybe Nino Kuni II?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

DQXI’s soundtrack is ass
They should fire their racist composer boo

My soundtrack of the year is smash. I mean there’s nothing that original in it but it’s a most excellent compilation
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose if I count all the music from all the games Smash has borrowed from then, yes, Smash easily has the best soundtrack. Good call. What was that about a racist composer?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Read up about the DQ composers politics, be disgusted.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I found homophobia and sexism. Not necessarily racism, but I wouldn't doubt it.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

An yes. My bad.
He’s still a shitty person that makes shitty music boo
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't go as far as saying the music is shitty. I very much enjoy the music of Dragon Quest. I even bought a Japanese 3DS to play Dragon Quest Theatrhythm. The issues in XI are the lack of variety in the music (some of the tracks are played in inappropriate scenes that don't match the tone) and the fact that the versions used in the game are MIDI-like. The full orchestrated soundtrack is good.

Has anybody here played the newer Persona music games?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Dragon Quest XI is my GOTY despite its composer and my lack of playing it significantly in 2G18
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like we've made a more or less unanimous decision here then Shock
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

IDK. I’m pretty sure I’ll change my tune to a Metroidvania once I spend more time with them.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I bought Tetris effect. I’m changing my vote to that. There’s even experience points, so it passes the Golbez Test!
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really convinced that experience points will improve Tetris, but I am intrigued.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It’s not what improved it. I’m not sure what they’re for quite yet.

The music however is amazing and makes the game. As well as it being the only Tetris game that has all of the small improvements that have found their way into the game in the last 30 years.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The music is the one thing they shouldn't improve. Don't mess with perfection!
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What improvements have found their way into Tetris games? Colours?
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully, tea time like in Henry Hatsworth. That's the proper way to play a puzzle game. Oh wait! That game fits the current page ofbthe favorites thread!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I thought a few weeks back that I should have added Tetris Effect to my list. Got a PSVR primarily to make the experience more emersive. The music, rumble and general rhythm really do enhance the game beyond anything we’ve seen from the series before.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
I thought a few weeks back that I should have added Tetris Effect to my list. Got a PSVR primarily to make the experience more emersive. The music, rumble and general rhythm really do enhance the game beyond anything we’ve seen from the series before.

Yes.
You see, the music is interactive in this one. Turn a block or clear lines and it adds notes to the tunes. Unfortunately it’s wuite hard to explain without trying it.

Fei as a music lover you would like it.
OfflineCid
Total posts: 674
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: icon_funny Re: SG Game of the Year 2G18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to post games I played in 2018 regardless of when they actually came out.

RPG

I picked up The Zodiac Age and from a graphical/audio perspective it's amazing. However, I fucking hate the class system they introduced and they nerfed everything into the ground. The game is so easy I stopped playing just past Raithwall's Tomb. Fortunately both issues can be solved with mods I just haven't taken the time to do that yet.

Also I beat The Witcher 2 in preparation for having a PC that can run The Witcher 3. It was alright.

Fighting Game

Street Fighter 5 continues to be supremely average but Dragonball FighterZ is a blast. Capcom should put Arc in charge of Marvel vs Capcom and a new DarkStalkers. These guys can do no wrong. I gave Tekken 7 a whirl as well and it only reaffirmed that 3D fighters are not for me.

Strategy Game

XCOM 2 is fantastic, the War of the Chosen expansion makes it even better, and mods make it hilarious. I have a save in the middle of a campaign and my squad includes Deadpool, 2B, an astronaut with the macintosh text to speech voice, and Doomguy.

Action/platform

I beat the first Dark Souls again earlier in the year and am currently playing through Dark Souls 3 which I started in December. The Souls series and Souls-like games are probably my favorite games ever. I can't think of another game that feels so much like a real adventure. Every last detail of every area is so painstakingly crafted with tiny little details and secret areas and the game tells you absolutely nothing. I think I'm 12 hours into the game and I'm only in the second area just from exploring every nook and cranny. I found a secret area and boss by rolling off an elevator halfway up a tower onto a ledge I saw zip by my first go up. I found a secret dungeon full of skeletons and an imprisoned damsel by taking all my armor off and jumping off a cliff and barely surviving. I love it.

From Software's next game, Sekiro, comes out in March so I'm trying to beat this one before then. I wish I could play Bloodborne as well but from what I understand Sony funded it so I doubt it'll ever come to PC.

Multiplayer game

I actually gave Final Fantasy XIV a go for a month. Leveling is a real slog but once you're doing the later dungeons and raids it's actually pretty fun. Certainly better than the abomination WoW has turned into. RIP.

Remake/Remaster

This wasn't 2018 but the Resident Evil 2 remake is great.

ESports

The only esports I watch is the Dota 2 finals every year. This year was insane and a huge upset. This team called OG fell apart right before the tournament when some of its players jumped ship for another team. The captain picked up some randos and not only beat the team his former teammates left him for, but won the tournament and $10 million.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did you play any 2G18 games at all?
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonball FighterZ and Zodiac Age on Steam are from 2018. Keep in mind I didn't build my new PC until mid-December and I don't own any current gen consoles.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The consensus in this thread is that you should get Dragon Quest XI!
OfflineCid
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno I've never been able to get into the previous entries. I had DQ7 at one point back in the day and really hated it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure some quality of life changes in the DS version made it a lot better, but I never played the original release so I can't say for sure. That said DQ7, even the 3DS version, pales in comparison to either DQ8 or DQ11.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What about DQ9 and 10?
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

DQ7 is possibly better than them as far as I can tell. I never got too far in DQ9 and it was sognificantly less interesting/fun than DQ8. DQ10 was an online game. I don't like those anyway, and I think the concepts really clash for a series as traditional as DQ.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

DQ10 never released outside of Japan
probably a wise move
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The Dragon Quest name isn’t as much of a pull outside of Japan. Definitely not enough to go up against Final Fantasy XIV. Didn’t make financial sense to Square. The fact there was a 3DS version always intrigued me. I have the client on my Japanese 3DS but have never had a subscription.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If you're going to post Dairy Queen, at least post some ice cream, instead of whatever that disgusting slop is.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It’s Poutine: GOTY Edition.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is it poutine with pulled pork? That's gourmet hipster food in Manchester.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like it’s got pulled pork or something of the sort on top. You should come eat (non-DQ) poutine in Montreal.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'll give it a go. I'm not so adverse to melted cheese any more.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely the pork that makes it look gross. Looks like someone just dumped hot garbage in the middle of those fries.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Fist-It Felix
Fist-It Felix

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I mean it’s DQ so yeah probably.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

DQ Poutine sounds gross

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: