Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Starflight 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineBlake00
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Total posts: 14
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 pm† †Post subject:  Starflight 3 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not 2030 yet but I'm back again to post another something non final fantasy related lol!

Showing my age here but are there any 80s/90s Starflight fans here? I loved these games as a kid. Looks like the 30yr old dead franchise coming back to life! Not sure if it'll get funded though as so many years have passed! Plus a lot of people have never heard of Fig.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJy-fZ-BJvY[/url]

Blakes Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Civ, MoM, C&C, Dune, FinalF, HoMM, B5, Star Trek, Doom, TES & more!
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11904
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iíve never heard of Starflight but it looks a lot like Star Control, which Iíve played a teeny bit. Mostly I had a couple friends who were into it (including Man of the Sea who shows up here very occasionally).
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27063
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Donít worry about posting stuff non Final fantasy related. We pretty much never chat about Final Fantasy here
Not sure Iíve ever heard of Starflight though, sadly.
OfflineBlake00
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Iíve never heard of Starflight but it looks a lot like Star Control, which Iíve played a teeny bit. Mostly I had a couple friends who were into it (including Man of the Sea who shows up here very occasionally).

Yup they're very very similar as Star Control was made by one of the guys who worked on Starflight 1 & 2. There's actually 2 new different Star Control games on the way too although they're currently locked a rather vicious legal battle over each others rights to make their games sadly.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Do you play any mainstream games Blake, or are you just into obscure forgotten ones?
Not a dig, it's just impressive for somebody to make threads about two games I haven't heard of.
OfflineBlake00
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Do you play any mainstream games Blake, or are you just into obscure forgotten ones?
Not a dig, it's just impressive for somebody to make threads about two games I haven't heard of.

Haha yeah mostly old stuff reliving my youth. C&C, Dune, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica etc.. but as for franchises that are still alive today I play Civilization, Age of Wonders, Elder Scrolls, and of course Final Fantasy haha although even with them I'm still playing the older games and haven't got to newer stuff properly yet lol.

Takes me ages to get through games as I get bogged down on all the awesome stuff in the modding scene eg fan made addons and HD remakes hehe.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11904
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:19 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I didnít realize SC had such a direct connection to SF! Iíd poked around a tiny bit after replying to this and found out that SC2 (not so much SC1) is considered a bit of a clone of SF. Also thereís apparently a Genesis version of SF1 with greatly overhauled graphics. Have you tried that version?
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Oh I didnít realize SC had such a direct connection to SF! Iíd poked around a tiny bit after replying to this and found out that SC2 (not so much SC1) is considered a bit of a clone of SF. Also thereís apparently a Genesis version of SF1 with greatly overhauled graphics. Have you tried that version?

That's actually how I discovered Starflight! I hired Starflight for Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) from a video shop back in the 90s and became so addicted I bought my own copy which I still have to this day. Wasn't until years later that I discovered it was actually a remake of an old PC/Amiga/C64 game and that there was a sequel out there too haha. And even later I found out about Star Control series which I still need to get my hands on and play.
OfflineBlake00
Sloppy Poon
Sloppy Poon

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well it looks like it was all for nothing sadly. Just over a day to go and the Starflight 3 crowdfund is barely over halfway. 30 years waiting for a sequel and its fails due to not enough media attention. So many thousands of SF fans out there (SF1 was apparently the first ever game to go platinum with 1mil sales back in the 80s) that never got to hear about this. Such a shame!

But there's still hope as Greg & Anthony said in a recent podcast that they'll look at improving the demo and may try a crowdfund again in the future or secure a publisher. If any Starflight fans come across this thread long after it's too late, come join the starflight facebook group and they'll let you know the next time anything happens with SF3 (if there's a next time *sigh* ) plus the group is following a rather impressive Starflight 1 remake from a ex-bethesda employee so all is not lost for us old SF fans!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

boo
If the creators are passionate enough, a failed crowdfunding isn't usually the end of the road. Hope you eventually get your game (or get rich quickly and top it up to the amount required )!

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: