Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Shenmue
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27063
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am† †Post subject:  Shenmue Reply with quote Back to top

Shenmue I & II (and III) chat. Whoís playing?
Shenmue I is pretty tedious and the PS4 Port is buggy, but weíre speeding through. Just did the horrible stealth section to break into a warehouse.
Total posts: 9061
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím preloading right now
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Preload quicker! Some people on PSN already have platinum trophies on both games
The bugginess I experienced it inconsistent as sometimes when you board a bus, you just see an extreme closeup of a lagged edge of the scenery, but one time Iíve managed to see the actual bus boarding/travel cutscene
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20087
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:31 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why does UK get games before US?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lol there was just a cutscene and when it ended, the camera was stuck in first person. Moved to a different area and still stuck in first person.

The game comes out here on Tuesday, but most places send out games several days early to compensate for delivery times. This means that Friday releases (when games usually come out here) arrive Tuesday to Thursday and Tuesday releases (when we get releases that match the US release date) arrive Friday or Saturday most of the time.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's neat. Usually when I preorder a game, I'm lucky if I even get it day of release.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:26 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Most places here do a guarantee where you can get money back if it doesnít arrive for release day.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:34 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

On the plus side, Amazon gives a pretty sizeable discount for preordering games (doesn't seem to apply to Shenmue, because I can't see that I got any discount for that, maybe it's only full price $60 games), but they haven't always been so good about getting games to me on release day in the past.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shenmue cost me £21.49.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know the exchange rate, but I imagine that's about the same as the $29.99 here.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The gameís still stuck in first person about 80% of the time. At least cut scenes have picture now
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This is really bad. Sounds much worse than the Secret of Mana bugs that everyone was freaking out about.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I canít preload faster. Itís still locked till Tuesday in North America! boo
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Should have bought the disc!
The latest bug had the camera stuck on first person, but tilted diagonally. Ryo is also standing in the room in front of the bed whenever he wakes up in the morning as well (so there's two of them there). I've also read reports of music lopping incorrectly.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The digital copy was $10 cheaper. So I went digital.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You must have won his clone from Norstein Bekkler.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The digital copy is more expensive here. This is usually the case :/
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
The digital copy is more expensive here. This is usually the case :/

Pay more for less! Check!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It kind of varies. Digital copies are often pricier early on because they typically don't get discounts off full price until later while you can sometimes get day one releases of physical copies at discounted prices in various ways. On the other hand, the digitals have pretty reliable price drops and some nice sales. The price drops on physical copies might be better, but physical copies only ever have shit for sale. If you can get a sale on a digital copy after price drop, you'll probably be paying less than you ever would for a physical.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not the case here. Current example is Tekken 7. The game came out in June last year and the retail version dropped in price long before digital. Right now, it's the cheapest it's ever been on PSN at £19.99, while the disc version has been easily obtainable for £10 for a long time. There was even an offer with the DLC pass and a stupid statue for £20-30 a couple of months back, while the core game download sat at £55
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Just beaten Shenmue I
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shenmue 3 coming out almost exactly in a year. Shock
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

lol this game did not age well

That pre DVD era audio quality boo

But those face models are super impressive for a pre 2G game
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the faces are barely animated. The couple in the Chinese restaurant are super creepy!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They really should have done a remaster instead of a shitty port.

I've got my copy now, but I won't be able to play until later. Maybe not until the weekend.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It would have taken too much money and resource to be financially viable. This just exists as a recap for those who want one prior to III and donít want to have to dust off their Dreamcast.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure they must also be looking to get people into it who missed the initial release because they didn't have a Dreamcast. I guess this means don't hold your breath on any bugs getting fixed.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Playing through the game again top get the final trophy (one that was bugged and didn't pop on our first play through). Haven't encountered the first person bug yet this time.
OfflineCid
Total posts: 689
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HEY MISTER WANNA WRESTLE
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:50 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhhh this final fucking trophy is still glitched in the new game. Played about 4 hours into a fresh game and met the objective but no trophy :/
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Update: 3rd time lucky. Done with Shenmue I now.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:19 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Started playing this. The awkward control is extremely dated and makes the game feel much older than the pretty decent graphics do. How much of a deal is time in this game? I could see that becoming a real pain in the ass.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Time is a huge pain in shenmue 1. Shenmue two has means to let the time go by at least.
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Are there deadlines for stuff, or is it just a lot of waiting for the right time?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the non-necessary events and tasks involve deadlines and I believe there's a bad ending if you let too many days pass, but most of the time you'll be waiting for time to pass for shops/bars to open/it to get to bedtime, so you can reach the next part of the story.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I looked and it seems like you have more than a year, so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid, I guess. Oops. I think I misunderstood. It's a lot less than that. Now I'm worried considering I spent almost a whole game day just going around trying to talk to people and didn't even finish that.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:25 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I hit one of the game bugs. I was playing Space Harrier and when I died, I couldn't get out of the game.

I'm not sure whether I can motivate myself to get through this game. It's pretty boring so far. I haven't really done anything but go around talking to people though....still the clunky controls and bugs contribute to it taking so long to actually have anything happen. Also, it really doesn't help that every conversation has to be an ordeal with zooming in on the characters face and usually having to initiate talking at least twice for them to say anything other than "excuse me." I can do without Japanese politeness as a gameplay feature.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The game is pretty short if you know what youíre doing. Japanese politeness is pretty rude irl tbh.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:12 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shenmue is pretty boring indeed. Thatís what made it great.

Seriously tho shenmue 2 fixes most of the firstís problems at execution.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:49 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I really enjoyed 2 back in the day (after enduring and ridiculing 1). Most people didnít give it the time of day though. Gonna start playing through that today.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:34 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Yeah I really enjoyed 2 back in the day (after enduring and ridiculing 1). Most people didnít give it the time of day though. Gonna start playing through that today.

I'm coming back to emphasise the "BACK IN THE DAY" part of this post. Shenmue II is SO long and tedious
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I still Have not finished 1 remaster.
I donít doubt what you say.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:06 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calling it a remaster is kind.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I see
About that day...
When the rain turned into snow...
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I still haven't done barely anything in the game. I just didn;t feel like redoing stuff after it froze on the arcade game....even if the stuff was only talking to people who I probably don't really need to talk to....
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Finished and got a Platinum trophy on Shenmue II. Canít believe theyíve left it on that fucking cliffhanger for 18 years
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Finished and got a Platinum trophy on Shenmue II. Canít believe theyíve left it on that fucking cliffhanger for 18 years

lol

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: