Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! -> 2G18 - 26: TV show reboots/returns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Total posts: 8029
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: icon_note 2G18 - 26: TV show reboots/returns Reply with quote Back to top

Ahoy there! A lot of old TV shows are coming back these days. This often seems like a cynical cash grab not unlike HD rereleases of video games, but I think it’s occasionally justified, not unlike HD rereleases of video games.

Some examples that come to mind right off the top of my head are Roseanne, Twin Peaks, Full House, and Gilmore Girls. These are all shows that were cancelled or ended many years ago and then we got the joy of “checking in” much later. Huzzah! I know there are plenty more too.

What do you think about this trend? Have you watched any of them? Good or bad? Are there any shows you’d like to see brought back? Why?
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Total posts: 16843
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Roseanne is a shit example. Was a bad show to begin with and decided to completely throw away its ending for a shitty reboot. Full House was always terrible. No one could have reasonably expected the reboot to be anything but terrible. It performed as expected. Twin Peaks was warranted, but the final product was kind of disappointing. Gilmore Girls - I have no thoughts on this.

I'm hesitant to say there are any shows I'd like brought back at this point, because they all seem to lose the magic of the original when rebooted. X-Files is a good example. Great show at the time. Reboot just feels like going through the motions. Out of the many reboots I've seen I'm struggling to think of an example that was good enough to be worth it.

I guess I should be using "return" or "revival" instead of "reboot." Some reboots can actually be good.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23096
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Doctor Who was my favourite revival/soft reboot. I liked that for the first series or so, it was still up in the air as to if it was a reboot or a continuation. The people making it probably didn't even know themselves. They decided to continue it in the end, though a bunch of stuff has been reconnected over time. Try having a consistent time travel story line going since the early 60's without fucking it up a few times though!
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I'm still pretty much considering Dr. Who a reboot, even though it's canonically connected, but that's definitely a good example.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Do different iterations of Star Trek count? I feel like not so much now, but I guess when Next Generation came out it definitely qualified as a return/reboot. And what a return/reboot!
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Does Muppet Babies count as a reboot of The Muppet Show? Either way, I just discovered that they rebooted Muppet Babies this year.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Whoa really? I loved Muppet Babies!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Muppet Babies was a spin-off.
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That makes more sense, but I was thinking if TNG counts as a reboot maybe Muppet Babies does too. I mean isn't TNG kind of like Star Trek Babies?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No! That would have to be Kirk et al as babies. Sounds amazing btw
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh! Right! That's the J.J. Abrams reboot!
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So I think Twin Peaks had an excellent return that was vastly better than its largely-crap second season. I liked the old Roseanne, but the new stuff sounds ridiculous. Chelsea thought the Gilmore Girls return was pretty good and justified. Fuller House rofl no thanks. I haven’t really watched any Dr. Who. I liked X-Files as a kid, but I did hear the new ones sucked.

Given where I currently am in Felicity and the fact that I know lots of spoilers through Chelsea, I would kind of like them to bring that back and fix some of the stupid choices they made. I enjoy the main actors in it.

Oh yeah Will & Grace was brought back too wasn’t it? Never really watched that show. Oh and Dallas too.
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Dallas was the originator. Back when they just called them reunion shows or something, right? Anyway, Arrested Development, kind of twice since seasons 4 and 5 were so far apart. That's an example of an ok revivial, but not really up to the quality of the original.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I didn’t watch AD season 5, but I did think 4 was largely decent.

I guess Girl Meets World was one of these too.
Rxorcist
Trashbat
Trashbat

Total posts: 2147
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't really had much of an interest in reboots (or at least what I recognized as a reboot), even the ones that were well received. I remember watching half an episode of the new Thundercats, and that was all the time it took to figure out it wasn't really my jam. I'm not sure if you'd consider Samurai Jack, Better Call Saul, or Frasier in the same category as a reboot, but I did watch and enjoy all three of those (although Frasier ages about as poorly as most sitcoms do) Other than that, I can't think of anything, though I'm sure I've watched some that I'm just not thinking about.

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a few shows come back, even just as restored versions of the originals. There was an old 80's show called Sledge Hammer! and it was a campy, over-the-top gag comedy that already felt like self-parody of the troublemaking cop genre. Then there was Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. Really, I have no reason for thinking that show should come back except for the sake of nostalgia, because it was also very campy in a completely oblivious 1980's way.
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Better Call Saul is definitely firmly in the spinoff category. Otherwise, it would totally break the curve on these reboots. What is Samurai Jack a spinoff of though?

Haha! Yes, Sledge Hammer! I watched that when I was a kid. I liked it. Although pretty much the only thing I can remember is when he took out a bazooka and destroyed a building or something.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Trashbat
Trashbat

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That happened in the first 2 minutes of the first episode. I remembered thinking it was funny that he talked to his gun.

Samurai Jack was its own show, but the last episode aired in 2004, and 13 years later, it was brought back to finish the story line with a final season. [/url]
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's probably why the memory stands out. "That no good yogurt eating creep."

Oh. In that case, Samurai Jack definitely counts! I thought you were going to say it was a spinoff of Dexter's Laboratory or something.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Samurai Jack is fantastic, but unfortunately I never quite finished watching the original run. At some point I’d like to go back and watch it all over again and see the new stuff too.

Incidentally, I think Genndy Tartakovsky’s Samurai Jack style Clone Wars shorts were great too, and were some of the best material to come out of the Star Wars prequels.
Rxorcist
Trashbat
Trashbat

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I would also want to see a good reboot of The Real Ghostbusters. Actually, a good reboot of the movie franchise would be pretty great as long as Paul Feig isn't allowed within 5 miles of it.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Might be time for a return to The Wire. It could be titled “The Wire: Shit Still Sucks”.
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

How about an SGTV reboot?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_QteyvNZKtK5qPWlPbrl-Q
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It’s mostly new characters so I wasn’t that interested.
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They just need to recast some characters.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Total posts: 8606
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They should revive Pete and Pete.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

SGTV but we're all 40 and living thousands of miles apart.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Total posts: 8606
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That hasn't even happened yet!
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

THE FUTURE
Master of MeTEAo
Gone to Bed!
Gone to Bed!

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
SGTV but we're all 40 and living thousands of miles apart.

I'm almost there. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: