Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! -> 2G18 - 23: Everything turned out better than expected!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Turkish De-Lite
Turkish De-Lite

Total posts: 2262
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: icon_loot 2G18 - 23: Everything turned out better than expected! Reply with quote Back to top

I was gonna do one about regret, but that's too depressing.

Instead: What's something memorable that happened to you (either that you chose to start, or that was forced upon you by circumstance) that you thought was going to turn out to be uneventful, or even end in disaster, but defied your expectations and had a pretty great outcome?

Was it something that resulted quickly, or was it something that took a really long time to pay off or turn in your favor?

Did it show you something about yourself, or that changed a part of you as a result? Did you learn anything useful by going through it?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Total posts: 8358
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Joining SG. I did not expect a disaster, but I did expect just another place I could talk about anime and video games online. Instead, I got that and a bunch of IRL friends omg! Honestly, it had a massive impact on my life and I have no idea what my formative later teen years would have been like without SG, but definitely very different.

Perhaps I was in fact robbed of a much better life!!
Total posts: 6574
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Me in 5 years: wow this $1 beer is really great!

Sad
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He gazed down at the tiny beer. Five years it had taken him to learn what kind of flavour was hidden beneath the dark label. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two beer-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Buck-a-Beer.
Master of MeTEAo
King Dadbod
King Dadbod

Total posts: 17180
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Joining SG. I did not expect a disaster, but I did expect just another place I could talk about anime and video games online. Instead, I got that and a bunch of IRL friends omg! Honestly, it had a massive impact on my life and I have no idea what my formative later teen years would have been like without SG, but definitely very different.

SG making lives worse since 1999. teatime

This is an interesting question, but I don't really know. It's easy to say after something is over that it went better than expected. That's just relief it's over. You don't have to worry about it anymore so it feels better than expected. Looking to something concrete where I expected a specific outcome and got something better? I don't know or can't think of it offhand.
OfflineCybernetic Empire
Booze Hound
2G4
2G4

Total posts: 895
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:

Probably way less scat pr0n.

As for me, probably getting a divorce (not my idea). Met someone way better, less narcissistic, etc. Regained my old self, sense of joy, etc. The only shitty thing is only having my daughter 50% of the time and paying child support even though I am a fully engaged father.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Paying child support when you’re sharing the parenting equally is ludicrous.
Booze Hound
2G4
2G4

Total posts: 895
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Paying child support when you’re sharing the parenting equally is ludicrous.

Yes. So is my ex telling people (including my fiance) that's it's so hard being a single parent when she is, in fact, a half time parent and it's actually quite easy (other than the emotional impact of not seeing your child everyday). We all have our crosses to bear, real or imagined I suppose. Rolling Eyes
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
King Dadbod
King Dadbod

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know. If I had to be a parent half of the time, I'd probably think it was hard too.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It does sound harder than parenting none of the time.
Rxorcist
Turkish De-Lite
Turkish De-Lite

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Though, it sounds like only one party's trying to milk it for pity points.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23407
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not ignoring btw. Trying to think up a good response to this topic
OnlineWaWard
Total posts: 6574
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wow this first morning in Ford nation is better than predicted.
The beer I’m drinking for breakfast to drown my sorrows costs a dollar and tastes like the water I usually drink at this time of the day.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sure you didn’t just pay a dollar for dirty Ford water?
Rxorcist
Turkish De-Lite
Turkish De-Lite

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Could be worse. Could be paying for dirty Flint water.

I did think of a thing that worked out better than I thought.

After everyone realized that the recession was going to be really bad in 2007-2008, I lost the grant I'd been awarded for my PhD research a little under two years into the program, and had no idea what I was going to do. I ended up getting my Master's and defending a thesis with the research I had done, and a review chapter with some extra literature research that didn't require extra funding.

I eventually got a research position at a lab in Nashville, which I wasn't thrilled about because it was even deeper south than I already wanted to live, but it was also at Vanderbilt in a well-known dev-bio lab, so it might have been a jumping point to a lab in a less conservative part of the country.

I actually enjoyed living in Nashville a lot. If circumstances put me back there, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The job itself was bad, but I met my wife there (that's the biggest thing), it's where I decided to pursue pharmacy, and the job I had wasn't so horrible that I didn't enjoy the work I was doing or what I did outside of it.

I'm still glad I moved, but I'm also glad I moved to Nashville when I did.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Total posts: 8876
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM went out to trivia with a few friends of his once and wound up getting engaged to a woman he wasn't actually dating. It's worked out pretty well so far.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
King Dadbod
King Dadbod

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I do remember you mentioning this before. What happened? Did you joke propose and it became a real proposal?
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We were friends, and the RDM had been kicking around the idea in his head as a long-term prospect. Then he had a very fun night and a lot of alcohol, and he floated the idea. She didn't say no (didn't say yes either). The official proposal with a ring and all was five months later. The RDM surprised the hell out of himself with the whole thing. We're coming up on eleven years married this summer.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Turkish De-Lite
Turkish De-Lite

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

5 months seems like a pretty short turnover. But then, I waited 2 years, so maybe I took too long.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
King Dadbod
King Dadbod

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I assume, then, that you actually did date between floating the idea and official proposal.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Approximate dating.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Total posts: 8302
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure what to answer. Probably that time when I applied for a job in Austria and in the end more or less decided not to go because of some red flags. Then the day before the time I was supposed to make some real arrangements to go unless something better turned up, I was offered a much better job.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I went for a first date a few years back. I was a bit nervous and had a couple of other lousy first dates recently. When I arrived at the meeting venue and received a text message saying she'd be 30 minutes late, I very nearly decided to call it off and go home. That date ended up being my wife
Fei Ayanami
Pimp Lucious
Pimp Lucious

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Must’ve been weird when your wife showed up!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

13 minutes to go before we break our combo of there being a new Hot Topic each week this year Shock
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did we make it?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
King Dadbod
King Dadbod

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we've got one now, but two things.

1. How does Saturday not count as still the same week? Sure, Sunday is traditionally the start of a week on a calendar, but Saturday is firmly at the end of the week so I think it should still count.

2. I don't believe we have an unbroken combo. As I recall, there were two Hot Topics one week. Since we're still keeping pace with the number of weeks in the year, the logical conclusion is that there was already a week with no Hot Topic.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We've fudged a bit, mostly sticking to the four-a-month rule.
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 525
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wife and I worked a shit job to gain experience and get her into a program so we could open our own office doing the same thing. Always the fear that there would be no business when opened. Hustled every connection, worked like nuts to get everything opened asap and leveraged everything we had to get in business. Business was better than expected at opening but had a ways to work up to clear the debt.

Within the first month of opening the government introduced a new tax for foreign buyers that would be in place within days. Suddenly all these foreign Chinese buyers were desperate for representation that could speak Chinese and were paying pretty much anything to get their deals closed before the tax was effective.

More or less didn't sleep for several days, but the debt was gone and then some. Made more connections with realtors and bankers whose clients asses we helped save. Turned out good.

Now on the other end of it. Working too much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: