Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Sooo, how about dat FF7 remake!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11882
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I’m pretty sure people have been demanding an FFVII remake since PS2 tech demos were shown.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 27045
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That’s correct. At this point, the most vocal people will probably be disappointed if the remake ends up being a current gen game.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20081
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why? Graphical improvements between generations are almost negligible at this point. The best you could expect from a new generation is being able to render more high quality models in motion at once without slowdown, probably.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah the most vocal people are idiots.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 9049
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Yeah the most vocal people are idiots.

They’re probably getting what they want though
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Unauthorised Emoji
Unauthorised Emoji

Total posts: 11381
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If they ever get the remake at all.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We will. Maybe 2 years after Kingdom Hearts III, and once they're done with dragging out FFXV.
OfflineCid
Total posts: 689
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to next gen consoles with maybe a version for current gen as well. I honestly wouldn't care. I've been waiting 20 years, what's another 5-10?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I honestly wouldn’t care if it got cancelled entirely.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bumping the "official" FFVII remake thread. Posted just shy of FOUR FUCKING YEARS ago!
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Total posts: 4137
Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

> Fans ask for an FFVII remake for 10+ years
> SE finally announces a remake
> Said remake is an action rpg and split into three parts
> A proper retranslation of FFVII in English has yet to happen despite I-VI having multiple translations and the fact that VII's original translation is literally incomprehensible. For example, the use of the word "clone" had people arguing on Square Gamer for years when the proper word is "doll" or "puppet". This is a basic core part of the games story and even that is presented incorrectly in the original script.
>SE has decided to leave fans of the original FFVII adrift, with no new translation in English, catering to bring in new fans with a remake by giving it an action-based battle system despite old fans of the game requesting it all this time.

For these reasons and many others, I will not be purchasing this remake despite FFVII's place as a landmark game in my life and not only my first Final Fantasy, but also my first RPG.

Toast, SE.

Oh, and btw, fuck you.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What makes me laugh is how buggy all the FFVII ports are re-releases are. The Switch port apparently has the music bug that was patched out of another version years ago. Square just take the last base version and bolt on whatever shit they need to squeeze it out onto the next system, leaving a Frankenstein mess. A bit like this forum

Imagine if next month they announce that FFVII Remake will be bundled with a proper updated version of the original game. Final Fantasy IX port style pseudo HD and with a modern script translation. Not saying it will happen, just imagine it
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I would have respected and supported this remake far more if they had retranslated the ps4/xbo/switch FFVII ports. That's what they should have done. That's what SE in the past would have done. You know, put some fucking effort into some shit. But no. Give us the same shoddy script. It's completely baffling how little effort they put into stuff now. I cannot count how many times they have retranslated I-VI.
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What makes FFVIIr all the more irritating is that they had a remake guideline to go by already. Resident Evil's remake was fantastic. It took the original game, used the same camera angles, gave it a new sheen, upgraded the gameplay significantly, added new features, rearranged the games story and puzzles, while upping the difficulty.

That's all they fucking had to do. I doubt if they had REmake-ized FFVII it woulld have taken 4 goddamn years to make.

But nope. Fucking Nomura.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It blows my mind a little that the Resident Evil remake is now 17 years old
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This guy are sick
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps Final Fantasy XVI is going to be announced at E3, and Square have shown some of VII Remake now, so it doesn't steal all the limelight at the show

It's actually been 10 years since the last main series Final Fantasy game was announced/revealed (XIV, 13 if you're counting it as XV/Versus XIII)
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Where’s my FFVI remake!

(And I don’t mean weird smooth-graphics iOS ports)
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Perhaps Final Fantasy XVI is going to be announced at E3, and Square have shown some of VII Remake now, so it doesn't steal all the limelight at the show

It's actually been 10 years since the last main series Final Fantasy game was announced/revealed (XIV, 13 if you're counting it as XV/Versus XIII)

lol ruroken
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FFXVI announcement is what I’m waiting for. I’m hoping for something more traditional and better playing than the schlock that was XV and that has better gameplay/narrative than XIII.

My ideal hope would be if Itou directed it but at this point I’m not holding on to any hope.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I liek FFXII ruroken
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I love XII as well.
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D5KrS4b3mM

Thank you Jim.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

XII is probably great. Golberg hates it
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It’s at least as good as the start of BotW then.
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

As a testament to how great the texture work in the original was, XII in HD for The Zodiac Age looks amazing. Unfortunately Square decided to nerf the difficulty into the ground for some reason so I stopped my playthrough just past Raithwall's Tomb because I wasn't having any fun. I found a difficulty mod online but haven't given it a shot yet.

On topic, the FFVII remake looks great. I don't mind the battle system change at all because up until XII I would run from most battles in FF games anyway. I'm also excited that they have seemingly ditched all the Advent Children voice actors. Here's hoping Vincent sounds less like Batman and Cid loses his stupid hillybilly voice.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You ran from most battles?? Shock
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Total posts: 9370
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I do mind the change in battle system. I like my RPGs being turned based and won’t play something getting away from that system.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The main reason I see myself not playing this is because I own neither a PS4 nor a gaming PC.
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
You ran from most battles?? Shock

Yeah I think it was more the random battle element than the actual battle system because Chrono Trigger never annoyed me as much as FF games. I like to explore every nook and cranny of new environments in RPGs and that becomes extremely tedious when every two steps is WHOOSH TIME TO BATTLE.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
The main reason I see myself not playing this is because I own neither a PS4 nor a gaming PC.

Get this anti gamer out of here!

Only true gamers are allowed here
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The old Final Fantasy VII battle system seems a bit boring now tbh.
I never did get used to the Final Fantasy XV battle system though. Hopefully what we get here is a little more straightforward. Either go for all action or all menus, not both!
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
The old Final Fantasy VII battle system seems a bit boring now tbh.
Why?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Slow, clunky, repetitive.
Recent ports have included the options to speed it up and give unlimited limit breaks to make it easier going for new gen players and people who have already grown sick of replaying at 1x speed.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

All ps1 ff battle systems have aged extremely poorly for me because of their alowness

Ffix being the worst of them all give that it was even problematic in 2G-1
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The recent ports of that have a lot of "quality of life" improvements as well though.
Wonder what they'd do with FFVIII if it ever got ported and updated? I feel we've long since passed the point where drawing magic and junctioning could be asked of the player?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Slow, clunky, repetitive.

Couldn’t the same thing be said about FFI to FFVI though? I don’t understand why FFVII is supposed to be different.

I don’t have a problem with the turn based system, if anything I agree with Cid, it’s the random battle element that makes it tedious.

Personally I liked my RPGs turn based and got bored of them when they started to become action games. That being said, the difficulty level has to be right, because if they’re too easy then it indeed becomes boring as hell.

This is why games like FFT and Advance Wars have always been best, at least the difficulty level was set properly.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I guess so but the SNED battles were considerably faster than FFVII-IX
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Final Fantasy I-VI are indeed also slow and clunky, but these are not the games being re-imagined for a modern audience.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They are indeed faster. Not as much cameras whooshing around and fancy animations, and for that matter just CD load times.
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Then they should just make an FFVII remake that doesn’t have crappy loading time and useless animations, problem solved.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So long as it retains the press x to win mechanics I think it’ll be just fine
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Then they should just make an FFVII remake that doesn’t have crappy loading time and useless animations, problem solved.

Yes, agreed. Maybe they could throw in a good translation while they’re at it.
Objection!
Goujon John
Goujon John

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Now that’s asking for too much.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well at least the remake is re-translated.
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Random battles haven't been a thing in rpgs for over ten years and there's no reason an FFVII with turn based battles would need to have random battles.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
The Holy Sponge
The Holy Sponge

Total posts: 20081
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Randomly generated monsters on a map still count as random battles as far as I'm concerned.
OfflineHKK
Troc Fever
Troc Fever

Female Female
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Randomly generated monsters on a map still count as random battles as far as I'm concerned.

You're the only who considers that a random battle then.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

At least the battles are unlikely to hit you by surprise, so far less random.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Who cares about the battle system

What we need to know is how the honey bee inn will be in there his game

I for one hope for all honey bee all the time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: