Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Fun musical recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineSir Nikon
Total posts: 35
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:  Fun musical recommendations? Reply with quote Back to top

I had quite the penchant for the soundtracks of Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda pre-PS2. Not sure if it's the games that shaped my current musical stylings or if my musical stylings lead me to enjoying JRPG music.

Anyway ... I'm an electronic music junkie and have been since the 90s.

I'm curious to know what all you are in to. Particularly, I want to find some new stuff to listen to. Lately, these tracks could sum up what I've been bumpin':

NOISIA - Could This Be
OVERWERK - Odyssey*
Zomboy - Vancouver Beatdown

And this one is fun:
Frog's Theme - on piano ... done by ear

* On my most recent meditation retreat I was experiencing an auditory hallucination ... and it was this song playing loudly and keeping me company for its duration.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23096
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have the Now That's What I Call 2G16 compilation ready for download in about a month
what types of music are you looking for? Electronic as in like OMD or?
Total posts: 35
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What's is OMD?

I'm looking for stuff that's either dark or happy (but not in-between). I have a penchant for stuff that's either ~130 BPM or ~160 BPM.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. An 80's English electronic band that are still going (and IMO) better today. Have a listen to a few tracks, and if that's what you're looking for, I can work from there.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
I'll have the Now That's What I Call 2G16 compilation ready for download in about a month
what types of music are you looking for? Electronic as in like OMD or?

This thread didn't go far. Here's that album though (once you've finished reading through the LP2PW thread): http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn4lq91a8181xjl/NTWIC2G16.rar
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Cheesehead
Cheesehead

Total posts: 2860
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This song is all you need:
Genghis Khan

The video is great, too.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Total posts: 8029
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Everything by Scott Walker is a good choice.

For seriously top notch crooning, the albums Scott through Scott 4 from the late 60s (also some of the Walker Brothers stuff prior to that).

Check out: Jackie, 30 Century Man, Boychild, Such a Small Love, Rhymes of Goodbye

Maybe pass on the 70s until you're a superfan (it was a rough period for him). Though his tracks (first four) on Nite Flights by the Walker Brothers in the late 70s is a mindblowingly awesome comeback for him, and the start of a major transformation. Check out the track The Electrician.

Solid return with Climate of Hunter in 1984. Then come his seriously dark, weird stuff.
1995 - Tilt
2006 - The Drift
2012 - Bish Bosch

Check out: Farmer in the City, Tilt, Clara, SDSS1416+13B

With Sunn O))) in 2014 - Soused

And a few soundtracks, very notably the recent Childhood of a Leader soundtrack.

That should get you started.
Please hold.
Snake Eater
Snake Eater

Total posts: 620
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've been listening to this album a lot lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4dm6RbjBmc
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Got a pretty mixed summer playlist~
https://open.spotify.com/user/21xfwk3c5zvrzdwuimehrgxuq/playlist/4GssbihFN6yAMl1wIYpAYQ
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
A G No Doubt!
A G No Doubt!

Total posts: 8029
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The song Americans from Janelle Monáe’s new album is amazing, poppy protest music.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: