Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> SG Nostalgia
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Total posts: 189
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:01 pm† †Post subject:  SG Nostalgia Reply with quote Back to top

Hello old regulars.

After my hopefully not so brief return to SG, I already had some very nostalgic moments browsing some of the discussions around here.

Since there was a website reboot around 2004 (?) I was wondering whether all the older content was still around somewhere? I don't remember what the reason for the reboot was and I'm too lazy to search, so it could be some technical problem that came with data loss, but does anyone have all or parts of the old content saved somewhere? Looking at you Shaun.

I could try to scrape the old stuff off archive.org but I bet it's fairly incomplete.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23953
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There were A LOT of complete SG rebooits. Older SG databases were never backed up or saved/carried forward. The only reason 2004's content still exists is because we took it off Shaun's hands
The only surviving bits of old SG are the sparse offerings on Archive.org boo
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm thinking of scraping those. No idea how much material can be gotten that way.

I was kind of hoping that someone of the admins made some backups of the material, like Cyan Garamonde, who seemed to be quite a responsible admin if I'm not mistaken.

Well, doesn't sound like it though. :/
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Total posts: 17594
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cyan went crazy and kicked us off linkohio. Well, he said his boss did that, but keep in mind I talked to him on icq and he was always going on about how he was distressed about the heathens at SG and saying he might shut it down someday. He also never responded to my direct questions about it like the fact that he had previously said he had a deal with his boss to host the site and then he was acting like his boss just found out about it.

Main reason SG rebooted in 2004 was because of Sektor Seven, I think? Or did SG already come back in 2003. I forget?
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 6873
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

lol
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Huh, I remember some negativity towards him and I was wondering where that came from, thanks for clarifying. Seemed like a diligent admin to me, but I don't know much about what happened behind the scenes.

Sektor Seven vaguely rings a bell, but I don't recall exactly what happened.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cyan didn't like me because I dressed up as a devil worshipper once.

Somebody needs to just write down the timeline of SG as the complicated 2002-2005 chronology is questioned quite frequently.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder when my demodding will be reminisced.

One thing for sure: itís going in the dark annals of SG!
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Total posts: 2464
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:

Cyan went crazy and kicked us off linkohio. Well, he said his boss did that, but keep in mind I talked to him on icq and he was always going on about how he was distressed about the heathens at SG and saying he might shut it down someday. He also never responded to my direct questions about it like the fact that he had previously said he had a deal with his boss to host the site and then he was acting like his boss just found out about it.

Main reason SG rebooted in 2004 was because of Sektor Seven, I think? Or did SG already come back in 2003. I forget?

Ya, I think S7 was around 2004, because I remembered it happening sometime in the middle of undergrad. I remember getting sorted into whatever the "art/creative" group was supposed to be called. I also vaguely remember someone drawing a comic where Ward's dad was the King of All Cosmos and was dry-humping the moon.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

Ya, I think S7 was around 2004, because I remembered it happening sometime in the middle of undergrad. I remember getting sorted into whatever the "art/creative" group was supposed to be called. I also vaguely remember someone drawing a comic where Ward's dad was the King of All Cosmos and was dry-humping the moon.

lol wat
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It was a comic by committee about users on S7 at the time. Doom, eightman, and Shaun also made appearances, but I think people lost interest in contributing about 15 pages in. But that page is the only one of which I have any clear memory.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure I have memories of S7 way earlier than 2G4.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

But did it end in 2G4? Hmm...but then I seem to remember SG being around in 2G3, so either S7 was earlier or it lasted maybe less than a year?

Although, I found this from 2G5. https://gamehacking.org/vb/forum/misc/the-lounge/292-lol

I don't think these guys actually know what they're talking about, but unless they're clueless enough to look at an archive and think it's the current thing, it sounds like SG was S7 at that point. If that's the case, why do we still have SG data from 2G4?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sektor Seven was reopened in 2004, after SG2G4 was launched. SG went down, Shaun said he didn't have money to pay for the server, Calbrena sent Shaun some money, Shaun put S7 back up instead (at least that's how i'm remembering it). Soon after, I'm in a pub with Man of TXT, talking about the SG glory days. Man of TXT asks me why SG is no longer online... that's where the idea of SG2G5 is born.
So there was a period of time when both S7 and SG existed.
I vaguely remember Shaun wanting to redirect S7 here and Man of TXT not wanting it. Likewise, in 2G11, Man of TXT suggested SG just direct to Hype Up and Shaun didn't want it.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why do people just want things to direct to other things. I never got into Hype Up, so I'm glad we didn't redirect there. Sorry, but I need my classic blue and orange, or failing that, SG Xmas colors. teatime
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I did like Hype Up, but the core idea behind it (a social network where multiple users create their own videogame related news and reviews) never took off. Shaun didn't want it being forum based, but I could never really separate it from being a spiritual SG.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Goujon John
Goujon John

Total posts: 9229
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Forums are the best thing, though.

The RDM put in a bit of effort on Hype Up briefly. Like most things along those lines, he could not sustain his efforts.

He was pretty much not on SG at all from late 2G2 to early 2G6, other than a super brief appearance on S7.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We've been active. The last SG Nostalgia thread is on page 3 now. Well maybe not the last one, but it was the reigning nostalgia thread for a long time.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Total posts: 8840
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Are you referring to Ďwhat have you been up toí or Ďgood old daysí? (The latter begins with a link to cattoast )
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I was referring to "the good old days" thread.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:37 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is Sektorseven on archive.org? I can't find it...
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt

Here's something: https://web.archive.org/web/20031218063152/http://city.sektorseven.com:80/core.php
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Robots destroyed Sektor Seven!
OfflineEtch
Belligerent Taco
Na'B
Na'B

Total posts: 442
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I try to remember things from the early SG2k years...and I'm drawing a blank. My memory is fucked.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe watching SGTV will jog your memory https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJlH0feDIpD2hM06c7zE7Zw
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Do you remember Brad and his "hacking"?
Do you remember Biocrimson's Fear and Hate?
Do you remember how we used to link with/share forum space with Evapilot's site? Do you remember what it was called? Because I'm not sure, FF Source maybe.
Do you remember the forum mafia?
Do you remember QFRAT and the Squarepedia schism?
Do you remember Skull and Sexy Dwarve and the GIA referencing it in their impressions or review of FFIX?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Was the site SquareSource? I think so.
Loved them having a forum on SG as it was spam-tastic. The other forum mods had a fit whenever they popped into see what was going on
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

As I best recall, they had their own roster of regulars including Gilgamesh, Peppermintstix, her sister whose username I can't quite remember...
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I don't remember any of the people.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Goujon John
Goujon John

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Peppermintstix used to be here.

Skull threatened to murder the RDM on the regular. A lot of people threatened to murder the RDM on this site. Ah, the days of the anonymous Internet.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I met Skull (went to his house even). He was a bit of a tosser, but not so much as online.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He seems like he would be.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He was pretty cocky and had a bit too much money for a stoner.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He worked for Microsoft I think.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Goujon John
Goujon John

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probably Apple.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It was Microsoft. He had Microsoft vodka in his apartment.
OfflineEtch
Belligerent Taco
Na'B
Na'B

Total posts: 442
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Do you remember Brad and his "hacking"?
Do you remember Biocrimson's Fear and Hate?
Do you remember how we used to link with/share forum space with Evapilot's site? Do you remember what it was called? Because I'm not sure, FF Source maybe.
Do you remember the forum mafia?
Do you remember QFRAT and the Squarepedia schism?
Do you remember Skull and Sexy Dwarve and the GIA referencing it in their impressions or review of FFIX?

No

Vaguely

Yes. I was a moderator and later an admin for that site. It was square source. It was also less active when it left SG for its own webspace.

I remember there being some sort of mafia, but names are a blank for me.

I remember there being a schism, but I can't remember what caused it for the life of me.

I remember Skull. That's about it. Everything else in that question, I don't remember.

So yeah. My memory is definitely shit.

Edit: Also, I didn't know that Cyan turned out to be a loon. I do remember him being a religious man, but I didn't know he was a crazy cunt.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You may have not been involved in some of the threads that contained the stuff Golbez mentioned. I have a great memory and Iíve never heard of some of the specific events in that list.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien probably has very different memories of events than I do, because I was never involved in any of the SG World/ Meeting up stuff. I also didn't even watch most of the videos because my shit computer at the time was no good for it. Tnat also affects what kind of threads resonated with me more and which I would be likely to participate in. My participation in SG World/SGTV threads would have been superficial if at all.

First person I met from SG was Asaroth and that was probably in 2006 or so, which was well past the "good old days" of SG. Next was Damien and Joei in 2011. And that's it. That's all the SG people I've met. Unless you count my sister, who used to post here briefly. But I knew her before SG.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Get her back for SG Day!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I could try, but she probably won't be receptive.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iíve never met anyone from SG Sad

There was a guy that used to live in Aylmer. I canít remember his nickname for the life of me, but he was a bit douchey so didnít want to meet him.

But I am going to Montreal during festival season so maybe I should fix that fei?
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Total posts: 2004
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

linkohio used to be on my AIM and ICQ. Mostly I remember fighting to keep his views not extreme.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Total posts: 8840
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iíd have a beer with a WaWard.
Booze Hound
Marble Arch
Marble Arch

Total posts: 916
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen all of you in person. Some of you may not have been aware of it at the time...
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:08 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:

There was a guy that used to live in Aylmer. I canít remember his nickname for the life of me, but he was a bit douchey so didnít want to meet him.

But I am going to Montreal during festival season so maybe I should fix that fei?

Me neither. The closest I've gotten to interacting with anyone was sending dehydrated trail food to Damien when he was still living in London and trying to find stateside stuff he couldn't get in England.
OfflineB0N3M4N
peeking in
Kleine Krokodil
Kleine Krokodil

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cybernetic Empire wrote:
I've seen all of you in person. Some of you may not have been aware of it at the time...

You have? Count me among the unawares. Please enlighten me, who are you?
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Unsure if Boneman required the smilie there, or if I'm requiring it now

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
WaWard wrote:

Me neither. The closest I've gotten to interacting with anyone was sending dehydrated trail food to Damien when he was still living in London and trying to find stateside stuff he couldn't get in England.

That was good
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Total posts: 8422
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:49 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Iíd have a beer with a WaWard.

Me too. So when is SG Ottawa or SG Montrťal happening then?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Total posts: 8422
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
WaWard wrote:

I remember this, it was fun reviewing all these weird things.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: