Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade -> Kombucha - yes a thread thatís on topic
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 6873
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:26 pm† †Post subject: icon_note Kombucha - yes a thread thatís on topic Reply with quote Back to top

Hello friends.

Any kombucha fans here? Kombucha is an ancient Chinese drink thatís resurfaced lately. I started drinking it to avoid pop, due to its fizz and less than half the calories, but Iím staying for the probiotics.

Kombucha is a raw drink made from fermented tea. The fermentation comes from a bacterial mushroom, the SCOBY which processes some of the sugar and tea and turns it into a lightly sour, fizzy tea.

Iím currently brewing my own kombucha. I will post updates. The tea has been brewed and sweetened, and has now started fermenting in my pantry. It will remain here for 8-14 days, at which point Iíll have to take it out for the second fermentation.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Also Doom: thereís plenty more tea topics to talk about! Check!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Total posts: 17594
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probiotics - actually bad. That's my controversial spin. At any rate, any time I've taken probiotics they had opposite of intended effect.

It's good to prove Doom wrong though. We'll show him this on SG Day.
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 535
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I like the stuff. It's yummy and suits my ageing taste-buds by not being cloyingly sweet.

Funny with it being an ancient Chinese drink, I've never seen Chinese people drinking it before I first saw it popping up at whole foods.
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Paedophile Cyborg
Paedophile Cyborg

Total posts: 3072
Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have somehow managed to not yet try kombucha despite living in yogi yupster central here (or at least near it). Probably due to the price tag, and hearing very controversial opinions on actually liking the taste of it.

I'm not too sure on probiotics either (to be fair, I have a pharmacist friend who tells me there are only certain ones that are worth using, so that could be it) but haven't had any ill effects from consuming the ones that come in food or drink form (like kefir).

Fermented foods are supposed to be good as well, for reasons I can't quite remember.

Any recommendations on the tastiest store-bought kombucha to try? And did you name your scoby?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:01 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probiotics have been beneficial to my bowel health.
Probably not a single one helped, but I kept some data and noticed subjective improvements between consuming them and not consuming them.

Their ridiculous prices is why I started brewing today. Well that and I like microbiologing my food.
I named my Scoby ďScoby DooĒ.

Last edited by WaWard on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

eightman wrote:
I like the stuff. It's yummy and suits my ageing taste-buds by not being cloyingly sweet.

Funny with it being an ancient Chinese drink, I've never seen Chinese people drinking it before I first saw it popping up at whole foods.

Lol. Indeed. Who knows what hipster dug this out of the nether.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I often find that probiotics can exacerbate IBS symptoms.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Total posts: 2464
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:37 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I tried kombucha one time, it tasted like vinegar. So, slightly more kombucha for everyone else.

Vibing_V wrote:
I'm not too sure on probiotics either (to be fair, I have a pharmacist friend who tells me there are only certain ones that are worth using, so that could be it) but haven't had any ill effects from consuming the ones that come in food or drink form (like kefir).

Only some might be worth using, and only for certain indications. I don't want to go into really great detail, but the data for a lot of it is either not very strong, or anecdotal. A lot of the claims you see out there are marketing by whoever is making a particular food item or supplement, and they're vague both by design and because, in the US, they legally have to be (it's why Cheerios can't say "may lower cholesterol". It can get away with something like "may improve heart health", though).

99% of the time, they're harmless, so whenever patients ask me about them, my standard answer is, "You can if you want."
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Total posts: 8840
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I donít care much about whatever health benefits someone claims it has, but I do enjoy kombucha in general.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cheerios can't say may lower cholesterol? I thought it was pretty well-known that oats can lower cholesterol.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

At that point, you're making a specific clinical claim about your product, which runs afoul of the FDCA. You can make generic health claims, but DSHEA makes you put that "This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease" statement somewhere on the product.

The whole point of this is to make sure that what is advertised has been evaluated by the FDA as both safe and efficacious. Maybe oats can reduce cholesterol, but is it true the amounts in Cheerios do? What is the mechanism for this? What is the specific chemical compound or compounds that have this effect? Is there sufficient data to demonstrate that? How much will your cholesterol be lowered, and over what period of time, and is it both statistically and clinically significant? These are things that need to be more explicitly defined and evaluated for the safety of the patient or consumer, and that all medications have to show before they can be sold either as prescriptions or over-the-counter medications.

It sounds silly, but there's a lot of snake oil salespeople out there who have, and if these laws weren't in place, would jump at the first opportunity to lie about their product. Supplement manufacturers do that already, because DSHEA allows them to put whatever vague claims they want as long as that FDA rider is on the bottle.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:12 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
I often find that probiotics can exacerbate IBS symptoms.

I have UC and I found it helped after I stuck with them. Short term it was awful though.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how well it bears out in reality that isolating a particular compound responsible for the beneficial effect of a food is the best procedure. It seems to me that there are often complex interactions among various nutrients in foods that are often hard to track and that when you try to isolate just one or a few compounds it's not always as effective. In the case of oats and cholesterol, it's probably the soluble fiber though.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You can do the research to show that certain foods have benefits, and a lot of people have. The FDA won't come after anyone for talking about the benefits of certain diets or eating particular foods, but when you make a specific clinical claim about a product you're selling, you need to do the research to show the benefit, or you have to slap that FDA rider on it. The law is there to minimize the likelihood of hucksters deceptively selling something that's either unsafe, like ephedra, or ineffective, like homeopathy.

And it isn't like drug makers don't play the law, either. A lot of antidiabetic meds show statistically significant weight loss, but you dig into the details and it's something like a 3 kg difference over 4 months of use. But that doesn't stop Eli Lilly from sticking it in their commercials, because they did the work and put it in the new drug application, so legally, they can make that (clinically meaningless) claim.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Canwe go back to the topic of fermenting tea plz Frust

I started my ferment in a commercial grade Rubbermaid. I was told this wasnít a good idea because plastic. So I ordered one gallon glass jars to replace it. I will do an AB test for my next batch.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

When I first started homebrewing, I had a big plastic bucket for fermenting. Then I got a big glass carboy. I didn't notice much of a difference in taste, but the beer fermented in the glass container definitely came out more highly carbonated.

What tea did you brew initially?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What kind of weird exotic diseases have you contracted from fermenting stuff?
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:45 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:

Usually when drinking fermented beverages I contract a severe case of drunk.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Weirrrrrd,
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:58 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:

Iíve had chronic shitpostosia, due to that.

And a fat belly because bread and beer.

Last edited by WaWard on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
When I first started homebrewing, I had a big plastic bucket for fermenting. Then I got a big glass carboy. I didn't notice much of a difference in taste, but the beer fermented in the glass container definitely came out more highly carbonated.

What tea did you brew initially?

Organic black tea.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You should brew synthetic black tea!
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Or syncretic black tea. Just throw a bunch of different ones on there.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím going to use cyogenic black tsr and see what it gives.

Update progress. It smells.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It smells... delicious???
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:48 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
It smells... delicious???

Itís like something you forget in your lunchbox for a couple of days. So no.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Fermentation is weird.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Fermentation is weird.

Tíes. Even weirder: the people that ferment stuff.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:54 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

But we all ferment stuff, technically.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The smell has subdued today.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Today is the day I start tasting it.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:04 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mild shock: it tastes kinda like kombucha
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm† †Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

I took the mother out and stored her in the fridge.
I flavoured the last 1.5L with coriander and orange zeste. Will bottle tomorrow or Monday.

Still smells good.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Itís now bottled to develop fizz
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Pickle Prick
Pickle Prick

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím drinking beer! It is in a bottle and also has fizz. It has no mother tho.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:50 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="smeared ink"]Iím drinking beer! It is in a bottle and also has fizz. It has no mother tho. [/quote
Iím not because i feel like shit RN
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:57 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have consumed it after my workout today.

It was envigorating.

Time to start batch #2
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Fantasticon
Fantasticon

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

How will batch #2 be different?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:21 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
How will batch #2 be different?

Will likely make a bit more. Aromatise with something less acidic than blood orange.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Brew looks like this after proper second ferment.

https://instagram.com/p/Bh1q78AHoXn/

Itís good and I am starting my second batch.
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Paedophile Cyborg
Paedophile Cyborg

Total posts: 3072
Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My local grocery store has one of those "fill your own growlers with kombucha" things and it's weird.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:32 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Vibing_V wrote:
My local grocery store has one of those "fill your own growlers with kombucha" things and it's weird.

Iíve heard of those. Is it any cheaper?

My second brew is now a week old. I had torn my scoby and now it floats again making me think that the tear is fixed.
OfflineSir Nikon
Total posts: 42
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

A fill your own! I saw these everywhere when I was in New England. I always found the ones that came in a bottle to be far superior. Not sure why but the on-top versions just didn't seem to have the usual kombucha sting/kick to them ... I suspect they were less fermented.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Holy Moly! Nikon must have finished reading the thread!
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23953
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Holy Moly! Nikon must have finished reading the thread!

Don't turn the on-topic thread off-topic! OFF TOPIC!
OfflineUndine
Total posts: 979
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've never had kombucha but I feel compelled to post about it anyway
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Iím about to flavour my second batch this afternoon. Iím thinking lemongrass and ginger.
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

good call. i like an abundance of ginger. the point to which it is almost painful to drink
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Total posts: 8422
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:
Iím about to flavour my second batch this afternoon. Iím thinking lemongrass and ginger.

That sounds good. Ship some down south so I can try it?

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: