Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Octopath Traveler?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Total posts: 8793
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: icon_complicity Octopath Traveler?! Reply with quote Back to top

This upcoming Square Enix Switch game is by the creators of Bravely Default, which I guess isn't surprising, since their titles are both total nonsense. But Bravely Default was also supposed to be decent??

Anyway, I hadn't heard of this until yesterday, but it's, like... SNES sprites in 3D. OK. Seems potentially charming I guess. I have been known to like SNES RPGs. Also Xenogears, which is also basically SNES sprites in 3D.

Apparently there was a demo period for this recently? Did anybody try it?
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Total posts: 2004
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ive heard theyve changed a lot already just based on demo feedback so dont expect the demo to truly reflect the actual game.

Also this game is definitely one Im interested in trying.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23865
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded the demo, then heard it was really difficult/bad, so didn't play it. Still interested in trying the final product though.
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I also heard they made a bunch of changes. It's still a little concerning if it was that bad and it's releasing in a few months.
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

One of the changes they made sounds really bad. Running now increases your encounter rate.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What, really? That does sound terrible, what the heck kind of a change is that?

The only way that's acceptable is if they mean you encounter enemies just as often per unit distance travelled but since you're running that results in more encounters per unit time.
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Supposedly its to make grinding for experience easier, but there are much better ways to go about it. They fail to miss the point that if youre running its probably because you want to get somewhere faster or even get out of the monster area faster.

Sometimes, I think game designers are the most clueless motherfuckers who never actually play games
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It does seem that way sometimes. But I feel that way about designers of pretty much everything (buildings, web applications, government services, clothes...). It's not unique to video games.
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

And yeah--that's a terrible reason for that design choice.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They need to use the system in Bravely Default where you can turn random encounters on, off or set a custom encounter rate Worked so well in that the player could make the dungeons bespoke to what they wanted, whether it be to be safe for a bit (until the next save point/on the way out), or to walk around grinding for a while. The fact that this system hasn't been picked up in all subsequent JRPGs with random battles baffles me.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's such a bizarre system. Seems like it would make the game too easy? But I can see how it's not that different from a class where homework is optional but you probably want to do it because there are going to be exams.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Total posts: 17544
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Octopath Traveler is definitely on my list of interests, but I won't necessarily be picking it up. That will be based on what I learn from reviews after it's released.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully it is the greatest RPG of all time. *fingers crossed*
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
That's such a bizarre system. Seems like it would make the game too easy? But I can see how it's not that different from a class where homework is optional but you probably want to do it because there are going to be exams.

Some of the bosses are fiendishly difficult, so you'll want to grind and build up job levels if you want to get anywhere.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Somehow a system where non-boss fighting is by definition always grinding (since it's "optional") still sounds bad to me.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think I pretty much didn't mess with the encounter rate when I was playing except in certain circumstances. I never finished it though. It's useful to be able to increase it when you're actually deliberately grinding and decrease for other scenarios like needing to get to a save spot.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It does sound useful. It just also sounds like a weird Game Genie-ish mechanic I don't think I want in a game, whether I choose to ignore it or not.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I definitely disagree with Damien's idea that it should be picked up in all JRPGs, but as far as Bravely Default itself goes, I think it's a fine feature.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a 3DS, but I did wish I could play Bravely Default just because I love Yoshida's art style, especially when he leans in the "super-deformed" direction. (I haven't used that adjective in a very long time!)
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Bravely Default and Bravely Second are both great. the ending of Second teases a third game, but I don't think there's been any actual word on that yet. If it ends up on Switch, maybe they'll port the first two over as well?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That would be cool!

Maybe it all hinges on the success of Octopus Toddler!
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt that game will be as good as Bravely.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 6813
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The demo was pretty boring. Hope the final game isn’t.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ni No Kuni II is out like next week. That ought to be good.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely play that if I had a PS4. I really liked the original.
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I tried the Octonauts Troubadour demo for a few minutes. I enjoy the style and am glad you can turn the goofy voice acting to Japanese (or mute it I think). I didn't play enough to form any real opinions on mechanics. Mostly the beginning of the demo reminded me how annoying I find it when a demo begins with like 10 minutes of unplayable scripted stuff. Just let me try the damn game!
Total posts: 605
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Got suckered into pre-ordering the $100 one, somehow.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Um...don't do that in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: