Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! -> 2G18 - 10: Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Charity Bracelet
Charity Bracelet

Total posts: 3406
Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:  2G18 - 10: Fitness Reply with quote Back to top

This week's topic is fitness.

Aside from this:

What do you do to stay fit? Is fitness part of your life? Is it something you go out of your way to do (like going to the gym) or incorporate into your daily lifestyle (walking to work, playing PoGo), or somewhere inbetween (team sports)?

How much importance do you place on fitness now versus when you were a teenager? Why/how has it changed (or not changed)?
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 554
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Used to go to the gym 1 to 2 times a week for an hour or so a time.

These days I'm just working the desk.

Probably about another year of this until we have some people trained up to help out a bit more and then I should have more time to do some self-care. I'm looking forward to having that again.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Total posts: 2988
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Since I moved, I haven't done anything. I've had to weather a lot of bad news and a very traumatic personal loss since living here. I've gained a lot of weight, and I feel like garbage, which also makes it hard to pick up where I left off. And then there's fact that, despite living in a more rural area, you can't cycle anywhere here unless you want to get scraped off the asphalt with a putty knife because of one of the many willfully inattentive drivers of western Massachusetts.

When I lived in Madison, I rode my bike for 15 miles a day to and from work year-round, and maybe 25-30 mile rides on weekends when it was warm and not raining. I also played ultimate frisbee once or twice a week with people. I won't call them friends, because I only ever played frisbee with them. It was pretty great, because cycling to work took about as long as driving, so it didn't really cut anything out of my day, and made it an easy habit to make. And in Madison, there are dedicated cycling paths, so you might only spend about 3-4 minutes of a 20 minute ride on a street you shared with automobiles.

Madison is a pretty good place to live if you need to find an excuse to exercise regularly. It gives you plenty.

Also, this needs to be stickied.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Total posts: 10035
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I had a pretty solid run of going to the gym a few times a week for a couple years (with only a couple shirt lulls) but I didn't renew my membership in January and haven't yet been in 2018. Guess I oughta change that soon.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 25019
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Just noticed/stickied this

I tend to go through a cycle where I lose wait during Lent, mostly maintain until early summer, lose a bit more weight before summer holiday, put on a bit during holiday, put on a significant amount of weight during birthday/Christmas/New Year, fall into terribly bad habits in Jan and Feb and then reset it all with Lent again.

I'm not really a gym person (through I'll jog or play dance games), so My fitness Pal and Lent challenges are my main ways of keeping a check on my general health. I also enjoy walking a lot.
I need to find a suitable running route in my new area
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Total posts: 18580
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm bad at fitness. I guess I place more importance in it than I did as a teenager (which was zero), but I actually have less because of my sedentary work which takes up a lot of my time and also exhausts me regardless of being basically sitting at a computer, so yeah...

I've never gone to a gym and never really would do so. Beyond the fact that paying exorbitant fees to get fit when you can really exercise on your own at home and outdoors seems crazy to me, I really dislike the social aspect of going to a place designated for a group of people to get fit. Not my thing.

Last edited by Lord Golbez on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My Apple Watch is the latest thing that gets me walking (previous/accumulative things have been Pokémon GO, the 3DS/StreetPass, and a global walking challenge at work). Fitbits and the like are super popular right now.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probably most of my exercise that isn't gym (and as I said, that part is zero lately) is wandering around Montreal. Chelsea and I both like wandering. That's basically what we force visitors to do when they're here. Wander, eat, wander, drink, wander some more.

As for gyms, for years I was just kind of scared of them. If I did go, it was all cardio, because I didn't know how to use weights properly and was afraid to injure myself and even more afraid to be judged by the beefcakes.

Anyway, a few years ago I started going regularly with a friend who had been to gyms plenty in the past, so that kind of broke that barrier. Turns out the beefcakes aren't actually scary.
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There's only two things that really bug me at gyms: People not re-racking the weights (or leaving giant loads on the bars) and people who grunt loudly like they're trying to go Super Saiyan.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Vegan Marshmallow
Vegan Marshmallow

Total posts: 18580
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I never got the issue with grunting. Like, that's a reflex reaction to exertion, not putting on a show, right? Of course you're gonna make some sounds if you're straining with the weight, and if you're not straining, it's probably not going to be that beneficial?

Regardless, as I've said above, I hate the idea of communal/social exercise, so it would never be an issue for me.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There's grunting and then there's the ridiculous, obviously-for-show outbursts some people roar out at the gym.
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, my irritation lies with that latter. There was a guy that used to come into one of the gyms at my university, who would make dying moose noises with every rep, and it was audible even in the racquetball courts. And he ALWAYS left the dumbells he used on the ground when he was done with his sets.

I started go to the gym very early in the morning to avoid having to be there the same time as that guy.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Jingle Bellend
Jingle Bellend

Total posts: 10405
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM is getting pretty un-fit lately. His knees went to hell in the last year or two, which makes intense physical activity kind of suck. Plus it's the winter, and winter is for getting depressed and not leaving the couch. When things warm up he's going to be chopping wood and digging holes and stuff, and he'll probably lose fifteen pounds. And it's going to hurt so much it's not even funny.
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Charity Bracelet
Charity Bracelet

Total posts: 3406
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is chasing feral cats not some form of exercise?
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Jingle Bellend
Jingle Bellend

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cats are pretty lazy.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I fear I'm at my peak fitness/weight loss point of the year and it's all downhill from this weekend
Saying that, I did lose weight last time I was in Japan.
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

Update:
Went to gym yesterday for the first time in a long time.

Today I am sore.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats!

Two days later is always peak bad for me.
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I will provide an update tomorrow as well!
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Update:
More stiff but less sore.

Conclusion:
Erik has an aversion to stiffness.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck stiffness! boo
Rxorcist
Human Condom
Human Condom

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Heh.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Good Birb
Good Birb

Total posts: 8439
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

eightman wrote:
Used to go to the gym 1 to 2 times a week for an hour or so a time.

These days I'm just working the desk.

Probably about another year of this until we have some people trained up to help out a bit more and then I should have more time to do some self-care. I'm looking forward to having that again.

That sums up my problem too, not enough hours in a day.

Things are getting a bit better at work so hopefully I can start going to the gym again, instead of working crazy long days. Looking forward to hiking season starting again too, looks like we're finally getting there.

I walk to work every day though, lifestyle choice here. We're currently trying to find new offices, which will be slightly further away from where I live but still within walking/cycling distance, so I'm actually kind of looking forward to increasing the length of my commute in order to get fitter.

Not as active as when I was a teenager as back then I did taekwondo 1-2 times/week as well as played tennis, + seasonal sports, + compulsory 2-4 hours at school. I clearly need to improve on that point.
OfflineRDM
TacocaTacocaT
Jingle Bellend
Jingle Bellend

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

eightman wrote:
Update:

Today I am sore.

The RDM went to the gym today! Tomorrow he will be sore. It's like he can see the future.
Onlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Robots & Spaceships
Robots & Spaceships

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If you survive the night!!
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
eightman wrote:
Update:

Today I am sore.

The RDM went to the gym today! Tomorrow he will be sore. It's like he can see the future.

Obviously you worked out the muscle for precognitive function. It was precognitive function day. Next day is leg day. Don't skip it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: