Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Nintendo Switch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 23865
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: icon_warning Nintendo Switch Reply with quote Back to top

In 2017, Nintendo released their hugely popular hybrid console, the Switch. It turns out most of SG now have this Switch thing. This is a thread for talking about it (including upcoming games and sharing those stupid friend code things).
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Total posts: 8793
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

SW-0382-0617-2132
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There is a company in San Francisco that makes super nice leather carrying cases for Switch. All made in-house, which is cool. Obviously not budget bags, but stylish! Not vegan though, I suppose. Mr. Green
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My stupid friend code thing is SW-8510-0235-3049
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 6813
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really need to send my launch left joy con back in. It’s acting up.

Code later when kids are done playing with it.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

SW-3801-6499-3889

Edit lol correct thread
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Total posts: 17544
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

From the other thread: SW-0744-4241-3431

So upcoming games? I'm looking forward to Yoshi, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (since I didn't have a Wii U) and SMT V.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't a fan of DKC Returns, so I skipped Tropical Freeze and doubt I'll pick up the sequel's re-release. The Yoshi game needs to do something impressive,as the franchise really has been over-saturated in the last decade. We've had a pretty similar (albeit, usually good) Yoshi game almost every year!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I somewhat agree. Except, the "usually good" is generally enough for me. None have been as good as the original, but pretty much all of them have still been good. Since the original is my favorite 2D platformer, emulating that is often enough for me. However, it could be a problem if it begins to look like I've seen this same level before in another game. I think the stylistic additions to this game will make it unlikely that it will completely look like that. I would like to see some impressive innovative features, but I'd prefer tried and true over change for the sake of change.

I liked DKC Returns, except that at some point it just got too hard for me.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Military Kangaroo
Military Kangaroo

Total posts: 2004
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I still havent used it.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
I somewhat agree. Except, the "usually good" is generally enough for me. None have been as good as the original, but pretty much all of them have still been good. Since the original is my favorite 2D platformer, emulating that is often enough for me. However, it could be a problem if it begins to look like I've seen this same level before in another game. I think the stylistic additions to this game will make it unlikely that it will completely look like that. I would like to see some impressive innovative features, but I'd prefer tried and true over change for the sake of change.

I liked DKC Returns, except that at some point it just got too hard for me.

That's probably the thing! Even when i try not to, I end up compulsively collecting stuff in my first play through platform levels, and too often, it was just too difficult and I'd get thrown too far back. It just wasn't fun. Add to that the samey feel of it all. Recent Yoshi and Mario (and even Kirby, to an extent) platform games have brought fresh ideas to each new level. I don't feel DKCR did this. Perhaps they fixed this for the sequel, but people were raving about the first one and I just wasn't impressed.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What do you guys think about the subscription service that begins in September? (At least having to pay for it begins then.)

I've never paid for PS+ or anything like that, so I think it's a bit of a bummer, but $20 a year (or whatever it actually ends up being in Canada) isn't that bad. It's just that I often go for long stretches not playing games much at all, so paying a subscription is a bit annoying.

What I'm more curious about is what you think of this "members can play old games, but they will only be available for limited times" thing. It sounds kind of stupid to me.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If PS+ were only $20 a year, I would still have it, because it would probably be worth it at that price.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
What do you guys think about the subscription service that begins in September? (At least having to pay for it begins then.)

I've never paid for PS+ or anything like that, so I think it's a bit of a bummer, but $20 a year (or whatever it actually ends up being in Canada) isn't that bad. It's just that I often go for long stretches not playing games much at all, so paying a subscription is a bit annoying.

What I'm more curious about is what you think of this "members can play old games, but they will only be available for limited times" thing. It sounds kind of stupid to me.

It's a system that Microsoft and Sony have been successfully running for years! People will pay for good, reliable online play and where there's a clear market, Nintendo will obviously want in on it. Perhaps the limited time game will be like the PS+ games (keep until your sub expires). Anything that's only playable during a small window would be a bit of a silly idea?

Maybe we'll hear some more about it during the Nintendo Direct later today?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like a much shittier version of PS+ so not sure even worth $20. No word of discounts. Free games must bebplayed in month offered and onlyntalks about old school games, not newer games. That combo sounds likena ripoff to me. Maybe I'd pay the monthly fee case by case but not for a year. I doubt I'd want to do that more than 5 times in a year so there would be no loss.
Offlineeightman
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 535
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, every console now charges to play online.

I've started leaning more towards gaming on the PC.

For on the go fun I put a preorder down on the GPD WIN 2:
https://igg.me/p/2313424/twtr/17985431

Should scratch the portable itch. High spec enough for the lower spec games I usually play. So between that and a humblebundle subscription I've got enough of a library to keep me going and then some.

But it doesn't scratch the nintento itch. Thankfully the nintendo multiplayer itch is usually a more local affair.

Last edited by eightman on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I agree... I'm not a big online gamer in general. Unless some of the other benefits turn out to be cooler than they sound, I may not bother.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
It sounds like a much shittier version of PS+ so not sure even worth $20.

Well PS+ is £50 a year currently, so it makes sense for this (~£14.45 a year) service to be worse.

PS+ has been worth it over the last year for Overwatch alone.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not remotely interested in Overwatch and definitely don't want that 70 GB shit draining my already extremely limited space, so not for me. I agree, I'd expect it to be worse, but the real draws for me are still free games and discounts. The Switch version basically has neither. They didn't mention discounts at all and the "free" games are free to play for the month and apparently only classic SNES type games anyway.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I may be misremembering, but I think they did mention there would be discounts, actually.
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody play Splatoon 2? I don't play it as much as I'd like. I prefer Overwatch (it's a lot more varied. Overwatch has many distinct play styles, whereas Splatoon really only has changes of weapon), but Splatoon has a place beside it.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just read a couple of 1996 reviews of Mario 64. It's fun to see how over-the-top blown away people were. My 12-year-old brain certainly almost exploded when I first played it.
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really understand why, even at the time, there weren't more people put off by Mario being turned into a collectathon, when it was never that before.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, the stars just gave you the incentive for a variety of platforming. What would you have preferred?
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What I would still prefer and what Odyssey at some level offers except that it still comes down to collecting the moons at the end: just divide the game up into set levels to get through, like the 2D platformers. Odyssey does this to some extent by putting moons at the end of areas that are something like mini-levels of their own. I'm still not a huge fan of it ultimately being about how many moons you've collected to get to the next kingdom though.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I liked Mario 64, Odyssey and Mario 3D Land/World. It's good that Mario games can diversify somewhat.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really liked the Mario Galaxy games too.

So Golbez, the main thing you'd change with Odyssey is that you can move on to the next level based on something better-defined than number of moons? Like, after you beat that level's multi-moon boss or something? I think that would be ok. It's actually a bit weird that you can move onto the next area without beating the "major" challenge. At least I think you can. I always get a lot more moons than necessary before moving on.

Just got to Luncheon Kingdom btw!
Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Basically, yes. I don't think it's a huge detractor, but I think I would prefer that. It seems like you need to get the multi-moon in some cases and not in others. Sometimes it seems like the vast majority of moons are not available until after you get the multi-moon, so you need it to make the quota. Other times I've gotten the more than enough before I got to the multi-moon.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I finished Mario Odyssey recently and am now engaged in collecting a million more power moons (I think I have 380 at the moment). I also downloaded and briefly played Golf Story last night. Golf!
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Remains to be seen whether Golf Story beats my previous favourite golfing RPG.

Master of MeTEAo
Innit
Innit

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Golf story is overrated. I got bored with it pretty quickly. Kind of wish I hadn't bought into a hype. I knew a golf RPG sounded boring and decided to give it a try anyway. I was right.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I got bored with it too.
I’m back to playing botw lawl
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
*2G5 Injoke*
*2G5 Injoke*

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason despite no significant interest in the real sport, I very much enjoy golf video games. They’re certainly among my favourite type of sports game.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
For some reason despite no significant interest in the real sport, I very much enjoy golf video games. They’re certainly among my favourite type of sports game.

The best sports game genre is, in my opinion, the one with jet fuelled cars and giant sports balls and explosions and back flips.

It’s also on the switch.
OfflineDamien
Most High One
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I found Golf Story too difficult too early on. Lots of bits that require perfect accuracy (or at least allowing very little leeway). Still prefer the story mode of the Camelot GBC/A games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: