Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> why do i feel like playing ffix
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 5701
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:04 pm† †Post subject: sad why do i feel like playing ffix Reply with quote Back to top

I know the game sucks. But why do I want to play it for some reason?
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Total posts: 5067
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Odd isn't it?

I have an urge to play FFVIII, despite not actually owning the game at all.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Total posts: 4115
Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:09 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FFIX came out 5 years ago.
OfflineDoom
Total posts: 3543
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:18 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Wow hkk's all over this one.
OfflinePendragon
Curious by Nature
Hot Man
Hot Man

Total posts: 675
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Now now, play nice you two.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed IX, but that's just me. Either way if you have an urge to play it and you have the means to do so then feel free to do so.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

And I have only replayed it once since then. That's the point. And in that replay I didn't eve get past disc 1. I thought it was great when it came out..but now... it's aged horribly. That battle system ruins the game for me.

Thank God for Chocobo Hot and Cold tho. Best sidequest in an FF. Period.
OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

i'd play ix over before x
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:19 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:39 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

YEA DAT'S RITE
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've played FFX like 3 times.
OnlineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Total posts: 1819
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

so is it really the (equip moves) battle system or is it just the slowness everyone complains about you dont like?
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I love the abilities system, it's the battle speed I hate. When you tell a character to do something, it takes them like...30 seconds to actually do it. It's ridiculous. Also a lot things make it even more annoying. For instance: why the fuck do trances happen right when your bar is full? That devoids the whole point.

But still, I plan on replaying FFIX someday. I love a lot of things about FFIX (abilities system, Vivi, Dagger, Chocobo Hot and Cold mother fuckers, moogle savepoints, Mognet, Vivi, and the comedy that was used effectively in the game), but there are some things that are (currrently) keeping me from going back to it (the card game shyt. The battle system. The lack of character development sans Vivi, Dagger, and Steiner.)
OnlineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:37 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I jacked battle speed to max right off the bat and it didnt seem too bad for me.

I loved ff9. It had restored the gameplay balance that was missing from 8.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:38 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What lack of gameplay balance in VIII? Explain.
OnlineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's not that I couldnt master junctions. The gameplay just felt off. It was either ridiculously easy or too hard depedning on how you played. magic felt useless. Everyone besides Squall felt pretty useless.

But maybe I should just say this

FF8 was "stiff and awkward"

FF9 is fun and flexible
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's what makes FFVIII so great. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. I think that's a pro, personally but I can understand why some find it as a con.

Ohhh, I get you now. Yeah FFVIII and IX have totally different feels.
OnlineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:03 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ever notice how games have completely different feels on first and second plays?

I used to think of ff8 as my favorite final fantasy. Then this year I replayed it and somehow it just all fell apart by the third act and the gameplay seemed even more annoying.

I really wish Esthar didnt exist and all the silly time travel plot holes. The whole Adel is Ultimecia plot hole thing will really piss you off if you think about it too long.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:04 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I used to not like FFVIII that much compared to the rest, but when I replayed it, it became my favorite FF. I think tastes in gaming changes over time.
OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

you can harp on the plot holes but don't be hating on esthar
OfflinePendragon
Curious by Nature
Hot Man
Hot Man

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:18 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FFVIII is my least favorite in the series, though compared to other RPGs still really decent.

There were just a few problems that I had, the biggest one was how random the game is, especially everyone's limit breaks. Hated fighting Ultima and only being able to use lionheart like 1 out of 10 tries. Not to mention Rinoa had the most useless limit break ever.

Leveling was also a problem, if anyone in your party fell behind in level's, it wasn't worth the effort to try to catch 'em up since the enemies level'd with your characters. I ended up having to stick with Squall, Zell and Quistis for almost the entire game.

Then there's the story... It began alright, but towards the middle it started to head south. It just couldn't keep up with VII's pacing.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

himurokoken wrote:
That battle system ruins the game for me.

Only now? I thought it was horrible when it first came out.

Oh, and reason came upon me today. Now I feel like playing Suikoden (1-3) instead. Check!
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Ward"]
himurokoken wrote:

Oh, and reason came upon me today. Now I feel like playing Suikoden (1-3) instead. Check!

You're just trying to please me aren't you?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

no, it's cuz FFIX sucks badly.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:31 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well said! I have to replay it again someday though. Sad
OfflinePlaztik
</3
Amarillo
Amarillo

Total posts: 1162
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

everytime i play ffix i'm liek...wow...i haven't played this game before...

amnesia Sad
OfflineEntr0pi3
Randomly Generated
Hone Hone Cock
Hone Hone Cock

Total posts: 1215
Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:37 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Reminds me I own FF8-9-10, played a bit of all of them but never finished any of them...
I don't particularly feel like playing any of them right now, but I feel compelled to finish them someday
OfflineGarbo
Wandering Nazi
Winnie The Poon
Winnie The Poon

Total posts: 1583
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Pendragon wrote:
FFVIII is my least favorite in the series, though compared to other RPGs still really decent.

There were just a few problems that I had, the biggest one was how random the game is, especially everyone's limit breaks. Hated fighting Ultima and only being able to use lionheart like 1 out of 10 tries. Not to mention Rinoa had the most useless limit break ever.

Leveling was also a problem, if anyone in your party fell behind in level's, it wasn't worth the effort to try to catch 'em up since the enemies level'd with your characters. I ended up having to stick with Squall, Zell and Quistis for almost the entire game.

Then there's the story... It began alright, but towards the middle it started to head south. It just couldn't keep up with VII's pacing.

Way wrong in every respect, and I only care to delve into the Rinoa limit break point:

Wishing Star and Invincible Moon were great, and with the correct setup, Angel Limit was the most consistently devastating Limit Break. Rinoa with jacked up speed (Triple) and auto-haste, plus Meteor junctioned to her Mag stat for 255, and Meltdown on the enemy, = 9,000x whatever, EVERY TURN.
OfflineSlashley
ZAKERNAA >:|
Namco Voucher
Namco Voucher

Total posts: 660
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Plaztik wrote:
everytime i play ffix i'm liek...wow...i haven't played this game before...

amnesia Sad

Because you fell asleep whenever you played it?

I personally liked FFIX. The "slowness" of the battlesystem isn't as bad people claim, it's just that the game is anal about order. Most of the time when it takes a character forever to do something it's because you've queued commands to your other chars and the enemies got in the queue before you too
OfflineJeff 2G6
The Pretender
Lord Burghley
Lord Burghley

Total posts: 1248
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:20 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Pendragon wrote:

Only person who's limit break was even remotely useless is......well I can't think of anyone's. There goes that theory.

Wtf? Leveling isn't even an intricate part of the game. A level 1 Squall with good junction can pwn a monster 10 or even 20 times his level. There goes that theory.

Um the story started off slow and it rose toward the middle around the end of disk 1 and toward the beginning of disk 3. Do you even understand even half the story?

Yea you're assessments are invalid. Move along. Go back to playing your nub game, FF7.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Total posts: 13029
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem with the battle system in 9 is the slow ATB.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Total posts: 1067
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You all should be playing Chrono Cross right now.

Oh wait.
OfflineDoom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:24 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

haha, i was going to rip up that post on ff8 but i guess no need
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Total posts: 13029
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Invincible moon is the best limit break, dumbass!
OfflinePendragon
Curious by Nature
Hot Man
Hot Man

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Jeff 2K5 wrote:
Yea you're assessments are invalid. Move along. Go back to playing your nub game, FF7.

I donít know why youíre up in arms; I never even said VIII was a bad game. All I said was that it was my least favorite of the seriesÖ

I was wrong about Rinoaís Limit Break, especially since I barely used her, Irvine or Selphie past disc one. That still doesnít change how random the limit breaks, 80% of the time it was Angelo Search. Not to mention how pointless getting Fated Circle is when youíre fighting a solo boss, which is what Iíd see about 50% of the time Iíd use Squallís LB. Most of the battle situations were random, right down to when Odin would show up, which move Gilgamesh would use and even who gets chosen to fight in the final battle.

As far as levelís go, when your 2nd party is 50+ levelís behind the 1st party battles tend to get long and tedious. The other games of the series had ways to cope with this, like members not in use get 50% the xp, or being able to switch party members on the fly. The heavy reliance on the junction system didnít allow for it, so it wasnít worth it to me to try and have the others catch up.

As for the story, I liked it for the most party. It was nice having a soldier as the hero instead of the usual boy from a peaceful town whoís never picked up a weapon saving the world. I liked that they gave him a rival even though each defeat seemed to make Seifer more and more pathetic. However the time aspect of the story seemed really out of place for the context of the story. It was as if the writers hit a dead end and through in a plot device at the last minute. Considering this was about the time that FF: Tactics and Xenogears came out the story just didnít hold up as well as it could have.

Personally there were a few things they tried with VIII that I liked. It was a nice touch that monsters didnít carry gil, that you didnít need to worry about armor and that the only equipment was each characterís weapon. The junction system was also a nice change of pace. I even enjoyed triple triad, but still overall I just had more fun and enjoyment with the other titles. If having a different opinion gets you all worked up, then thatís your problem to deal with.
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Total posts: 5067
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:50 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Xenogears

Check!

Anyone who has FFVIII and doesn't like it can send it to me!
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm† †Post subject: sad Re: why do i feel like playing ffix Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:

I have this feeling again 😩
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19849
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe due to all the bad FFIX threads here Mr. Green
OnlineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 am† †Post subject: sad Re: why do i feel like playing ffix Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:
WaWard wrote:

I have this feeling again 😩

Now's the perfect time!
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am† †Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

I fixed it.

I played it for about an hour.
It still sucks.

I will have no such desire for quite some time. Check!
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19849
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Which version did you play?
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Which version did you play?

The one I had gotten for the vita when I last had that foolish desire.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Total posts: 4489
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Which was obviously later than 2005. How often does this happen?
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Total posts: 4489
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HKK wrote:
FFIX came out 5 years ago.

This post came out 12 years ago. And a couple weeks.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Which was obviously later than 2005. How often does this happen?

Fortunately, not often.
OfflineEtch
Belligerent Taco
Na'B
Na'B

Total posts: 430
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 pm† †Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:
I fixed it.

I played it for about an hour.
It still sucks.

I will have no such desire for quite some time. Check!

Doesn't matter. You're still infected.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: