Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> ff9 rox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Total posts: 4115
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:  ff9 rox Reply with quote Back to top

I am playing FFIX on my psp right now ON MY TOILET

omg

screencaps of my adventure

BLECH

Much better. Even at the fastest battle speed, playing FFIX is like mollases going up a hill in January on crutches. Absolutely reeee-diculous. I swear it takes a full minute for characters to get a full ATB meter, and it takes like 40 seconds to do their actions after you command them too. It's funny, because I didn't think FFiX was so slow when I originally played it.

Best graphics on the psx. A part of the reason I'm so excited for FFIV ds is because the art style is sooo similar to FFIX and it makes me feel nostalgic.

Cinna's Garnet doll rocks.

lmao

Vivi really is the best FF character and whoever disagrees is obviously wrong. Sorry.

Pre rendered backgrounds with dynamic camera angles. Proving once again that copy pasta, bland environments in rpgs suck ass. Modern gaming: lowering standards one step at a time.

:lol Nooooo

Mini games! Interactivity! Something modern rpgs have entirely forgotten!

A fishman and a hippo in the same room?! Best npcs in an rpg ever.

:lol Why does the short lil black guy get turned into a slave? ;_;

More pre-rendered, dynamic camera goodness that makes modern copy pasta environment look even shittier. This alleyway was always a favorite camera angle of mine. The clown guy with the 4 arms always freaked me out. Fuck that guy.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Total posts: 12494
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Vivi is the best, but Laguna is maybe a close second. Yeah, I do think the battle speed is the one thing that really drags down FF9. It's still one of my favorites, but after awhile it makes it just not as fun to play as some of the faster moving games.
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Total posts: 5067
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't need to know you were playing this on the toilet, really.

I wanna replay FFIX. Since I'm at my parents' I can find it in one of my storage boxes and take it back to Lincoln with me. Awesome.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You know me Golby. I'm tied between Vivi and Laguna. They're both such amazing characters.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19436
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember FF9 looking that bad...
Total posts: 5670
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

the battle system is shit.

also stretching
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

After the fight where Vivi and Steiner get poisoned...

Add another reason why Vivi is the best Final Fantasy character ever. That little bugger is too damn cute for his own good!

Steiner is awesome comedy relief

this game is unbelievably beautiful. I seriously miss pre-rendered bgs. Sad

FFIX's ability system is seriously one of my favorite's. It's simple but sooooo addicting.

Active Time Events need to make a return to Final Fantasy. They were AWESOME.

Example:

Shock

Best save point ever
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think that despite my problems with FFIX (the characterization for some characters like Amarant, the villian, the slow battle speed) there's a lot to appreciate here. Me and a friend - who went through the game again recently - both agreed tonight that the game has a certain charm you can't deny. We both agreed we smile while playing FFIX. Now I've played a lot of rpgs, and I rarely smile while playing them, but I've made a mental note that I have formed such a habit while my current playthrough of the game.

It's full of so much charm.

One thing that I'm really appreciating right now are the characters. I don't what it is, but for some reason they feel far more unique compared to other jrpgs and other Final Fantasy entries. I didn't even notice this the first time I played aside from a few short moments. I was green in the genre when I first played it, and now i'm able to appreciate it a lot more now. I like how Zidane is always positive, has the best qualities of a leader right from the very beginning. He's smart, his flirtations with various women throughout the game is hilarious, and he's just so damn charming you can't help but love him. This is quite unlike the modern jrpg hero, which tends to be brooding, or overly optimistic to the point where it can be annoying (Shu from Blue Dragon is a great example). Somehow Zidane comes off more realistic?

Then there's the character interaction. I can't get enough of Steiner and Zidane's fights, or Zidane egging Vivi on to flirt with women. When Freya and Zidane meet in the pub it oozes with great writing. The character interaction is just plain excellent. I entirely forgot this. Almost every scene between the characters is full of magic and has me lol'ing because I love the characters so much.

Here's one of my favorite examples:

I lol almost every time a conversation pops up in the game.

I love small stuff like that. Just talking about every day crap like chicks makes the characters feel more fleshed out, particularly Zidane and Vivi. Dagger's dedication to trying to keep a low profile for Zidane by changing her entire speech is pretty admirable.

I'm finding in the wake of next gen gaming that Final Fantasy IX, despite its age, stands out as a pretty refreshing jrpg experience even when compared to today. I find that admirable.

Another refreshing change, one I made last year when playing Final Fantasy VII again, was the amount of detail that's enclosed in these environments. I mean, comparing FFXII to the environments in FFIX just makes FFXII look flat out boring imho.

Look at the variety, the camera angles, and the amount of detail put into each shot, the magic, the IMAGINATION. It makes recent jrpgs like FFXII look like shit to me and it's one of the reasons why I don't want S-E to remake FFVII or any of the other 3d FF's because I'm sure they wouldn't do them justice. I mean, if Crisis Core is to be used as an example, that game's world pales compared to the original's. Copy pasta environments, bland npcs, bland over the shoulder camera... they made Midgar look generic with those graphics to me. Maybe it's nostalgia, I just find it far more artistic. If the game had voice acting I wouldn't need cutscenes.

I just made it to Lindblum.

btw what's with the Aries thing I found in Dali? I entirely forgot. Playing this game again is like a new experience because it's been so long and I've forgotten so much. I mean, I totally forgot FFIX had synthesis and my jaw dropped when they had that tutorial pop up.

One thing I've noticed is that the more I play and get re-settled into the game again, I don't even notice the slow battle system.

Oh, and the music is still as good as ever. Listening to that song just makes me feel warm.

Jeez I'm feeling nostalgic for Final Fantasy. I can't wait for FFIV ds. I miss Final Fantasy.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed Mystic Quest more.
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Aries? It's a Zodiac coin. You take it to a woman in Treno and she gives you rewards.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's a little hard not to notice the slowness later on when the enemies seem to always go between each character's actions and evrything takes forever.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is HKK talking to himself again?
Anonymous
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Amarant carries the game.

The RDM abandoned his second playthrough early is disk 3. He'll pick it up again someday.

Maybe even before he breaks the plastic seal on Kingdom Hearts 2, which he's had for about two years.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

replay ff9 instead of kh2
Anonymous
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They're both pretty low on the list.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

The Robo D Monkey wrote:
They're both pretty low on the list.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've replayed FFIX like 3 times, once within this last year, so I don't really feel like it, but otherwise you would be totally wrong. Still I'm not sure I'll play FFIX again. Diminishing returns on the things that make it great just make the slow battle system stand out more each time I play. Meanwhile, FFIV is always awesome to play, because the simple battle system still stands up well and always will (I hope the same can be said for the DS version).
Anonymous
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

How many times can you possibly play through a game? SoM probably has the most for the RDM at around 5, with FFVI and VII close behind...unless you count speed runs of the original Mario Bros...but the RDM has no plans to touch any of those games for years now. Maybe he'll show them to his kid.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FFIV and CT probably rank the highest for me in # of times played if not hours sunk (CT, especially on New Game +, goes by so quickly that it's definitely not, while FFIV could be on account of levelling up Rydia to learn Meteo as a child). I've played each of them upwards of 10 times.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No more FF9 updates!? Onoes
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

hkk only wants to update at Final Battle. ( :sadtea

By the way, we need a :sadtea even if that seems way too oxymoronic. I know I thought about how messed up a combination that is, but that's why we need it!
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

OKAY OKAY

i'll copy pasta

Gizamaluke's Grotto:

The concept of this dungeon is pretty cool but it could have been evolved more. It's like 2 rooms total and it's all about using bells to open doors.

Thankfully the place is beautiful.

And hilarious.

This moogles husband is stuck underneath this bell. Those damn clowns put the cute little thing under there. How could they?! The couple just got married and this little mooglette is in a hyper frenzy.

I wonder what's the cause?

She starts sniffing Vivi.

Uhh better give her that Kupo Nut you got from the novelty store in Lindblum buddy...or she might do something dangerous.

The mooglette goes up to the bell and tells her husband she has a Kupo Nut. He single handedly LIFTS THE BELL OFF TOP OF HIM WITH FEROCIOUS MIGHT.

HOLY SHIT

He freaks and runs into the other room.

Let's follow him.

I love Kupo Nuts!

Dammit, these moogles are too cute!

So I try to leave after saving and HE DROPS THE CLASSIC LINE:

AHAHAHA

I went up the vine that goes outside to find dragons that can kick your my ass easily. In the forest nearby I encountered a really weird bird that says some weird phrase, and during the battle weird music plays. I forgot what this is completely.

We wonder into Gizamaluke's Chamber, one of the best looking places in the game in my opinion.

The game continues as you're in control of Stiener, trying to reach Alexandria borders. Where's Dagger?

OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The bird with the strange battle music asks for an item. Use it on him and you get a shedload of AP.

Also! - Aren't FF's really difficult to put into eBoot form? Does it work properly, FMV and all? Cos I might transfer it onto my PSP if it works okay (After all the hell I had getting RE2 to work, I don't need more hassle)
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

uh no it's ez
OfflineJeff 2G6
The Pretender
Lord Burghley
Lord Burghley

Total posts: 1248
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

FF7 has some problems in eboot form. FF9 also the music skips like when u enter battle. Otehrwise theyre fine. Haven't tried 8 yet.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So is HKK gonna screenshot every part of the game and analyse to anally retentive levels?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think he's been analyzing to anywhere near anally retentive levels so far. Usually he makes a brief comment is all? Perhaps you're confusing hkk with HK?
OfflineCerv
que?
Popper
Popper

Total posts: 97
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

did someone say kkk?
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

LET'S ANALYZE FF9

I remember when FF9 came out (Japanese release, of course! Because that's how HK rolls!!) and Himura Kenshin made a post about how it was deep or something because how Dagger chose the name Dagger
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

himurokoken wrote:
LET'S ANALYZE FF9

I remember when FF9 came out (Japanese release, of course! Because that's how HK rolls!!) and Himura Kenshin made a post about how it was deep or something because how Dagger chose the name Dagger

ROFL. God , HK had some crazy ideas. I can even imagine some of the arguments he might have made and I'd be willing to bet the word "existence" appeared in there a few times.
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I missed this ruroken
I was only present for the PAL FFX Thread. Which was legendarily awesome.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember. I wonder if I never saw it.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It was all the way back in summer 2000 when FF9 came out in japan and of course, since HK is the resident Japanese expert who happens to be Austrailian he imported it.

He currently resides in Tokyo or something.
OfflineYuka
Official Party Cat
Bumbaclart
Bumbaclart

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh.
Isn't Garbo in Australia and learning Japanese? I think I confused the two once.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

well garbo's not obsessed with japan
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

himurokoken wrote:
well garbo's not obsessed with japan

By SG's standards, maybe not. By normal world standards, are you kidding me?

himurokoken wrote:
LET'S ANALYZE FF9

My personal favourite, before FFX was released:
'Tidus has yellow shoes. Square must be up to something.'
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah. I remember that one now. That became a running joke for awhile.
OfflineCerv
que?
Popper
Popper

Total posts: 97
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

tidus wore timberland boots. those things come in all sorts of crazy colors.

some folks gotta have a pair of timbs that match every single article of clothing they have.

these kinda look like tidus' a little.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

WaWard wrote:

OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Turns out we DID have an FFIX thread!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

Me wrote:

Sometimes I'm in the shower, and this memory comes back to me, and it's still funny.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HKK wrote:
LET'S ANALYZE FF9

https://www.reddit.com/r/im14andthisisdeep/
OfflineEtch
Oh No.
KENN
KENN

Total posts: 376
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I remember loving Final Fantasy games and now I don't like them. Time changes things and stuff or something.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I still like old FF games. I don't much care for newer FF games (FFXI and beyond).
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if Asaroth finished FFIX
I've drawn a line now and I'm going to stop buying games I've already played/finished until I knock a few of my to-play list.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3985
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Reasonable.
Rawr!
Dead Pigeon
Dead Pigeon

Total posts: 1755
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I finished. I couldve sworn I said as much in the TBB thread.

Ive actually cleared a few games since then as well.

The SNES Classic is amazing.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3985
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Because the SNES (and its library) was amazing?
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad to see we're getting somewhere in our descushion of ff9 and classic snes games.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Asaroth Larot wrote:
Yeah. I finished. I couldve sworn I said as much in the TBB thread.

Ive actually cleared a few games since then as well.

The SNES Classic is amazing.

I'll admit I don't actually read every post in that thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: