Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! -> 2G17 - 1 New year resolutions
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7869
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 am† †Post subject: icon_note 2G17 - 1 New year resolutions Reply with quote Back to top

2G17 is just starting but it already seems like it's going to be a good year.

Have you made any plans for 2G17? If so, what are they?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Total posts: 13029
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I plan on not using any more vacation time on my job even if it means not making my production goals, cause I'm getting tired of this job eating up my vacation time.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:14 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Only in America could that be acceptable in any way.
Anyway, I hope you stick to it! Check!
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Total posts: 5594
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM is going to knock down a house, build a chimney, and publish a book. Exciting!

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Only in America could that be acceptable in any way.
Anyway, I hope you stick to it! Check!

It's not that they force me to use vacation time. It's that if/when I fall behind on production, the best way to catch up is to use vacation time, so that I'm just working to catch up and not to produce more on top of that. However, I do think the production goals are a bit unreasonable.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19849
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Over here you outright wouldn't be allowed. Most companies force employees to take December off, if they haven't taken enough vacation during the year.
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
Over here you outright wouldn't be allowed. Most companies force employees to take December off, if they haven't taken enough vacation during the year.

Not sure how they would stop me, considering I work from home. They wouldn't let me log in?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:

Check! this.
Tbh, there are plenty of studies that show that not taking time off leads to decreasing productivity, so it makes total sense from a business perspective to force employees to take time off anyway. The only place in the western world which doesn't seem to see that is America.

Setting productivity goals to have some kind of KPIs is a good thing, but it shouldn't lead to stakhanovism. If the goals are unrealistic in the first place, they need to be reassessed, that is all. Otherwise, you're pretty much contributing to adding flawed data into the mix, leading your hierarchy to think they were right all along and there's no problem with the current targets.

In my opinion, you're probably underestimating the opportunity cost there: not taking days off (when already you don't have enough days off in the first place, tbh) means impacting your health and quality of life not only in the short term, but also in the long term. And considering health care costs post retirement in America, if I were you I'd reconsider this and see those days off as an important investment into your long term well being.

So, no time off taken to get free work done for a greedy employer. Instead, use those days off wisely. Like, knocking down a house, building a chimney, publishing a book, or something.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Total posts: 5594
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:29 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

IP BAN!

Also, those expectations do sound kind of nutso.

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:35 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Damien wrote:

Not sure how they would stop me, considering I work from home. They wouldn't let me log in?

Funny you're mentioning this, this just reminded me of this:
https://www.good.is/articles/france-lets-you-disconnect

Oh, and it's not just us lazy French, plenty of non-French companies have already enforced this compulsory disconnection. As I said, by now there are plenty of studies showing letting employees work too much is actually harmful for companies and makes no business sense. Look for it on HBR or something, there's plenty of data on that topic.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:55 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Damien wrote:

You'd be allowed to log in, but it'd be an HR issue from there/ You'd actually get in trouble for working during your annual leave. There's also a stigma to it in the workplace here. Those who regularly work outside of their paid/agreed hours are seen as bad at their job or having a bad manager.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it sounds like it would actually be worse for me in Europe rather than better then.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why would it be worse to be in a place that cares about your long term well-being, rather than in a place happy to exploit you until you drop dead from overworking? I don't get it.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Stop badmouthing The American Dreamô Frust
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:08 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Why would it be worse to be in a place that cares about your long term well-being, rather than in a place happy to exploit you until you drop dead from overworking? I don't get it.

Yeah or they just fire me sooner because they don't even let me catch up on vacation time, but it really depends on how they do things all around.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You wouldn't get fired for something like that in Europe.
If anything, your manager would get fired for setting unrealistic goals.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to work in your workplace, it seems like they don't really treat people well.
OfflineCid
Please hold.
Pipo
Pipo

Total posts: 584
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to try to really focus on doing creative things. I feel like a large source of my depression is not doing what I'm wired to do and right now I just distract myself from that feeling by playing dota all the time. Quitting has proven difficult, though. I've spent so long medicating with that game now I feel weird not playing it. Haven't been able to make it more than a few days.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:07 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a good resolution
Which creating things are you planning on doing first?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds cool. Have you considered a career change as well, or you just want to do creative stuff in your spare time?

It's not uncommon for people to move to a different professional field in their 30s, it might be something doable for you?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Total posts: 4489
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:14 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I went to a gym the other day for the first time since August (leaving university). Now three days later I am in continuing pain. Signing up for gym at the beginning of January is at least optically New Year's resolution-y, right? Mr. Green

Also want to be more organized, more active (in decision making), more direct, that kind of thing. I tend to be passive and indirect--things I dislike in others!

Final resolution: don't die in or due to a nuclear war.
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Check! I think a lot of people tend to be passive and indirect. I guess it's partly explained by this:
http://www.summarizedreading.com/2013/09/inertia-and-decision-making-need-to.html?m=1#!

Good luck with becoming more self driven.
OfflineCid
Please hold.
Pipo
Pipo

Total posts: 584
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:

Probably music and art. I used to draw fairly often but it was so difficult to overcome my anxiety in regard to what I made I just gave it up.

Quote:
Sounds cool. Have you considered a career change as well, or you just want to do creative stuff in your spare time?

It's not uncommon for people to move to a different professional field in their 30s, it might be something doable for you?

It would be nice to do something creative as a career but I have no plans to do so currently. My current job is tech support but I work from home which is ideal for me. I can set my own hours and don't have to interact with anyone in person.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, working from home is awesome. Check!

If you make something, don't forget the fan submission forum ruroken
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Cid wrote:
Damien wrote:

Probably music and art. I used to draw fairly often but it was so difficult to overcome my anxiety in regard to what I made I just gave it up.

Sounds similar to me. I used to draw and record silly songs a lot, but as I know people that I'll never be anywhere near as good as, I pretty much stopped. I looked back at some shit I drew in the mid 90's a few weeks back and wish I'd stuck at it from then, as it was actually good (from the point of view of not seeing it for so long).

My main creative things at the moment are keeping my Flickr going (for over 10 years) and the Talking Real show, which has raised about £5,000 for charity over the last 4 years.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

£5000 in 4 years is pretty good, I didn't realise it totalled to that.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah
Started in March 2013 and have done at least 2 a year since then.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well done Check!
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Military Kangeroo
Military Kangeroo

Total posts: 2012
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of gritty things going on this year that I don't want to get into.

But I'm learning Esperanto! So there's that.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, what? Why?
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Military Kangeroo
Military Kangeroo

Total posts: 2012
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:17 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Because I've always wanted to. I like the idea of a language with solid rules and no exceptions. <3

Also I'll add wanting to read more books. I don't read enough things.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:21 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I read a single book last year :/
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You could have picked Klingon instead, or some elvish language.

I'm tempted to ask about your reading list/recommendations, but let's keep that for the next Hot Topic. You should post one next week.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:54 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

More than 6 months later. How's everyone doing?

I am still struggling to be less passive, but I've made a little progress. I'm also seeing a therapist the past couple months. How bourgeois of me. It's actually been very helpful, I think.

This wasn't in any way a resolution, but I started learning guitar on my own in February. At this point, though I'm hardly amazing, I feel I can "play guitar". Feels good! I never considered myself musical before. I can play/sing at least the following songs from memory:
- "Our Moon" by Kevin Morby
- "Beautiful Strangers" by Kevin Morby
- "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" by Bob Dylan
- "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd
- "30 Century Man" by Scott Walker
- "FŁr Elise" by Beethoven

How's not working during vacation, Golby? How are the creative pursuits, Cid?
Coast
Coast

Total posts: 346
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:18 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nice. I got a guitar a year and a half ago, but I got as far as playing 3 chords badly before I got sucked into getting our office off the ground and running.

I've been signing more in the car. Much to my wife's joy.

Didn't make much resolutions other than going all in on the business this year and keeping heads above water. So I think I'm doing alright there. Creative projects wise just the usual doodles. Planning to tear down and rebuild a house so that takes a lot of planning and is semi-creative. We'll see how that goes.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:55 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's not working out at all. New Year's Resolution broken. Sad
Offlineeightman
Coast
Coast

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 am† †Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

you can still achieve your goal by procrastinating on the job for an amount of time equal to the vacation you've used up.

it can be done! there's still time!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's not actually helpful though.
Offlineeightman
Coast
Coast

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

well it's helpful with one goal. not so much for your work goals but that wasn't in the scope of my advice.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I mean it's also not helpful because procrastinating at work is procrastinating at work. It's not a vacation.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I had set proper goals, but I made plenty of new friends, which is good. I'm also moving out of NYC, which was kind of a goal, and good too as we're moving somewhere quieter.

As for work, I'm not sure. I wanted to be less of a workaholic, but signed up for a job in which I'm gonna have to work more. Then again, the opportunity is great and totally matches my CV, so I guess that's ok?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I somehow totally missed that this got further replies after I dug it.

I'm working on claiming some therapy bills now. I work for an insurance company, so u bet I gots some benefits. Speaking of which, it's been years since I saw a dentist... oh well, almost time for 2018 resolutions! Mr. Green (ew, sorry for showing my teeth there.)

Eric, I do highly recommend picking up the guitar again, even for like 10 minutes a day. If you're interested, anyway, which I assume you are since you bought a guitar.

Cal, we miss you. Sad

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Hot Topics! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: