Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Settlers of Catan
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Class Pub
Class Pub

Total posts: 1832
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 am† †Post subject: icon_complicity Settlers of Catan Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure whether this should go here or in the "Games" forum, as it explicitly states "videogames". Feel free to move it.

So I joined a meetup group to go play Settlers of Catan, which somehow I have never played before. (I know, I know...) I've looked up the basic how-to's but I'm wondering what kind of crafty strategies or fun ways of playing fellow SGers have!

I'm sure you guys have some great ideas! Teach me your ways. Whip me into sheep-shape!

The game is on Thursday. Chocobo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Total posts: 12520
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This belongs in Tea and Biscuits Brigade! Frust

Nah... I think it's fine here, but we can still descush it.

I don't know how to play Settlers of Catan though.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19458
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Where have I heard of Settlers of Catan before? Suffice to say, I have no strategies to divulge
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3988
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have played it a lot, but not for a long time.

Let's see...

If you can place settlements between clay (brick) and forest (wood) tiles that have likely rolls on them, you'll probably be able to build a lot of road. That will allow you to expand faster than others, block others, and perhaps also get points for the longest road.

GOOD LUCK.
Beautiful Disaster
Class Pub
Class Pub

Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yay tips!
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 5673
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm† †Post subject: icon_funny  Reply with quote Back to top

They key to winning is to settle harder than others.
OfflineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Class Pub
Class Pub

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:23 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I settled hard, but not hard enough!

First game I wasn't close to winning, but I did end up with essentially the Great Wall of China running across the board. Check!

Second game I came sooooo close. Had longest wall, biggest army, university (free +1 victory point) and ended the game with 9 points. (First person to 10 points wins.)

I had this awesome setup with my first settlement on the edge of a map on a brick 8 *and* a port with 2:1 brick. This should have reaped many, many brick trickery. Instead, 8's only got rolled maybe 3-4 times throughout the entire game.

Was much fun. Nice group. I plan to go back next month.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Offlineeightman
Coast
Coast

Total posts: 343
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm† †Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

the key is to find the weak members playing and carefully manipulate them into going after your biggest threats, trading you what you want, and quietly surpassing everyone with hidden victory points and sudden longest road or largest army captures.

my wife is much better at this game! i tend to be too forthcoming
Offlinegintanto
attained nerdvana
Alfie Moon
Alfie Moon

Total posts: 64
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm† †Post subject: icon_idea  Reply with quote Back to top

eightman wrote:
the key is to find the weak members playing and carefully manipulate them into going after your biggest threats, trading you what you want, and quietly surpassing everyone with hidden victory points and sudden longest road or largest army captures.

my wife is much better at this game! i tend to be too forthcoming

This is pretty much it. It's a social game, because the dice don't get rolled enough to actually depend on them statistically. The power of players cooperating or fighting has way more effect on who wins.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7823
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:13 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That reminds me we have the game somewhere at home, although it's still packed in a box. Moving for fun.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: