Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> DAVID LYNCH WINS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 11498
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:  DAVID LYNCH WINS Reply with quote Back to top

Thread title says it all. This is the Twin Peaks thread, but it's also always won by David Lynch, because he always has the last word and that last word is always made to leave his audience yearning for a resolution that will never come.
The first Twin Peaks was unresolved at the end of the second season. The new season was ostensibly supposed to resolve it, but in doing so we were left with a season that was actually less resolved than the first. Arguably, the second season wasn't even truly unresolved but just left with a bad ending. This one left us with... uh..... probably also a bad ending, I guess, but definitely an unresolved one.

Also, everyone's going on about "what this means" in the context of good vs. evil. That's great, but I care less about what Lynch's point is and more about just plain what's happening plotwise. I'll admit that reading some of the explanations make me feel a bit better about it, but honestly I doubt it would make me enjoy it any more if I watched it again, so meh....

So, congratulations on winning the thread, David Lynch.

Last edited by Lord Golbez on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Total posts: 3189
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I will try to find time for a thoughtful reply to this later today. Check!
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1657
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Apart from a few moments, this season felt like a part-time job to watch and it's made me hate the entire series as a whole and I wouldn't recommend the show to anyone now. Not a fan of David Lynch at all. The way a scene goes on for 5 minutes longer than it should and for no reason infuriates me; but the fans will call it artistic.
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. All the awkward pauses and people just staring at each other silently this season was just too much.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 18559
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I saw Inland Empire at the cinema about 10 years ago and I don't remember much of it, but it put me of Lynch's work in general.
Total posts: 5588
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: icon_cool  Reply with quote Back to top

How could he win if he's had the last post 0 times?

Doesn't matter if he does in his shows.

Last edited by WaWard on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Also Dune the movie sucks
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Different thread, different rules. In this thread David Lynch wins by screwing with fans with crazy Twin Peaks episodes.
OfflineWaWard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Different thread, different rules. In this thread David Lynch wins by screwing with fans with crazy Twin Peaks episodes.
and casting sting in a freaking d'une movie! Frust 😨 :explode
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh right. At one point he gets up and sings "Flash! Ahhh! Savior of the Universe!" Right?
OnlineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Mint Bus
Mint Bus

Total posts: 1372
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd always been a bit lukewarm toward David Lynch stuff in the past because he seemed to have a very fanboy-ish cult following.

So I only just finally watched Twin Peaks this year from start to finish (through s3).

I feel like Twin Peaks is a good "Lynch lite" way to get into his stuff, presumably because he had to pare himself back for network TV in the 90s. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind when trying to get into the series is remembering "this is a parody of contemporary soap operas."

It turned out to be such a charming little show and I adore the shit out of Special Agent Dale Cooper. But I'm glad I watched it *now*. I feel like I enjoyed it more than I would have when I was younger.

S3 is definitely more Lynch-y and very WTF-y. Reading fan theories from people who remember every little detail and have read all the non-show cannon (books, etc) makes it more enjoyable and easier to follow the threads.

If there's one thing Lynch is good at, it's portraying uncomfortableness. I actually find myself appreciating the way he does uncomfortable scenes, even if I don't enjoy the content of the scenes. Some of them become pretty melodramatic but a lot of them just feel more realistic. Life is uncomfortable, etc.

I also love how much of the original cast they managed to get back! And that they didn't try to re-cast certain characters.

So many loose ends though. Sad

The finale of S3 was *alllllmost* the most satisfying thing ever. And then...
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Junior Spesh
Junior Spesh

Total posts: 4565
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM couldn't get through S2. Too dumb. The acting is too horrific to tolerate for another 8 hours or so.

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Season 2 gets quite bad indeed. Good final episode, though! I'd still recommend pushing through. Or just watch the finale and move on.
Pegasus
Junior Spesh
Junior Spesh

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe. Even David Duchovny in drag wasn't enough to make it watchable.

Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well that I disagree with.
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
The RDM couldn't get through S2. Too dumb. The acting is too horrific to tolerate for another 8 hours or so.

Season 2 is mostly bad because of James. I'm sure there's other reasons I don't remember, but I probably don't remember them because of just how badly James ruins this season. He's the worst.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, Windom Earle is actually the worst. James and the other rando characters in his plot are a close second.
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Windom Earle is not that bad. His plot goes on too long and the shit with Leo is kind of fucked up, but whatever. He's actually better than the other guys - those Renaults. The parts with them are so boring.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Junior Spesh
Junior Spesh

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

James is pretty terrible.

Which one is Windom Earle? Only sounds vaguely familiar.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh no Windom Earle is the worst and I stand by that.

Jacques Renault is great. Don't really care about the other Renaults, though I am always amused that the Canadian characters are French-Canadian despite it being the Washington-BC border.

Windom Earle is Coop's stupid evil ex-partner/master of dumb disguises.
Pegasus
Junior Spesh
Junior Spesh

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The guy he's playing chess with? The RDM's probably not far enough to be annoyed by that character.

Just James. And the whole lumber mill storyline with everyone faking their deaths.

OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He's just a plot device anyway, so I don't see what's to get upset about with him. Honestly he's one of the few hints of getting back to the weird stuff from season 1/ early season 2 through most of the latter part of the season. Renault stuff in season 2 is just more soap opera shit.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Windom Earle is "weird stuff" in the worst possible way, though. Weird just to be weird. Just because "this is Twin Peaks, better be weeeeird!" I'll take soap opera shit over that, though I would prefer it to be well-written, which much of season 2 simply isn't.
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He's much less weird than the season 3 stuff. He's even less weird than the last episode of season 2.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Happy Wedding
Happy Wedding

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, but I didn't say he was bad because he was weird, but because he was the shite kind of weird.
Beautiful Disaster
Mint Bus
Mint Bus

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The James-rides-away-on-his-motorcycle plotline would've been bearable if it actually ended up going anywhere. Instead it got dropped..... like Heather Graham.

Honestly the whole "oooh look at me I'm a gorgeous nun who's now going to sleep with you teehee" makes me roll my eyes. It's too easy and predictable. I think if she got together with one of the other soapy characters it would've been okay in a soap opera parody context (yay overused tropes!). But Cooper is Mary Sue. It tainted him!

I was sad there was no follow up on her character, though, given how pivotal it was to the S2 finale. I thought she might've ended up in one of the lodges or something.

And yeah the whole history with Earle was a big mysterious part of Coop's past that felt very enticing and imo had lots of potential. But then when he was actually a character he felt very shoe-horned in and maybe a bit inconsistent. (I think I blocked out most of those scenes.)
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Considering that Heather Graham's character was apparently added because Lara Flynn Boyle was dating Kyle MacLachlan at the time and throwing a tantrum about the chemistry between Cooper and Audrey, I can kind of understand why Lynch didn't involve her.

It maybe also makes sense that she didn't show up considering that Cooper saved her by staying in the Lodge, right? Probably that meant she was untouchable to the doppelganger. So she would most likely be off somewhere living her life unaffected by the events going on.
OnlineVibing_V
Beautiful Disaster
Mint Bus
Mint Bus

Female Female
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Considering that Heather Graham's character was apparently added because Lara Flynn Boyle was dating Kyle MacLachlan at the time and throwing a tantrum about the chemistry between Cooper and Audrey, I can kind of understand why Lynch didn't involve her.

I had no idea. That's hilarious!

Does anyone know why Donna didn't return for S3?
OnlineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure specifically. Her character maybe wasn't important enough, but they had James, so should have been fairly easy to fit her in. Lara Flynn Boyle didn't even play Donna in Fire Walk With Me though, so it may not have been worthwhile to include the character when the actor may not have wanted to come back or been wanted.

Besides, multiple characters who were included had bit roles that seemed to lead nowhere.

What was the purpose of the plotline with Shelley and her daughter? Bobby had a role in the main thing, but that arc seemed to pretty much go nowhere. And don't get me started on the obscure Audrey plot. Also James got included into the main arc, but he seemed like he was just there to be there. He didn't really do anything. He was a catalyst for fistguy to get to the police station, but that's it. Probably still more significant tie-in than most though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: