Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Game of Thrones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Total posts: 4726
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:  Game of Thrones Reply with quote Back to top

Spoiler tags abounding?

Aeris dies.

Wait. That's wrong.

Ned dies.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11811
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Almost equivalent spoilers.
Last episode based spoiler, but actually future episode prediction.
Arya is definitely going to kill Littlefinger.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Same episode.
The RDM was thinking that before seeing this episode...now not so much. Seeing Littlefinger so shaken by Bran quoting his chaos speech and later by Arya being a super fighter with his special dagger made the RDM doubt it. Seems too telegraphed now. More likely, the RDM thinks, Littlefinger is going to do something the screws the Starks over big time. Might even get Arya killed. Sansa probably kills him.

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Might be right about Sansa. No question he does one last thing to screw them over. It wouldn't be Littlefinger if he didn't manage that. If he's familiar enough with the Faceless Men he might have caught Arya's meaning. That would be bad for her.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why did you make a thread? This makes no sense!
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's because we love you, Joei.

Why would it be bad? No one in the North is likely to care much, and the Faceless Men already know who she is, they can totally find her is they want to bother.

Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It would be bad because she would lose some advantage if he knows what she can do. Don't get me wrong, I'm certain she could demolish him either way in a straight fight, but the more he knows the more chance he has to cause trouble. Plus, I think Sansa is already getting a little disturbed.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sansa is just jealous because she's the only one what ain't got no magic powers.

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7823
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

In other news,
Napalm isn't cool.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's true.

I definitely want Arya to kill Mad Queen Cersei. She'll probably die eventually some way, but I'm afraid I won't get my wish. More than any other character on her list, I really want to see her get that revenge on Cersei. Preferably, using Ned Stark's face.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that will happen, but we'll see I guess.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM doesn't think it will happen. Valonquar prophecy and all that.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There are interpretations of that prophecy for which it could potentially fit, though I admit it's a stretch.

Most likely candidate is Jaime. It's worth noting though that Arya can also "be" anyone who dies. I don't know if she's limited to people who've died, but I assume that's the way it works.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM assumed last year that the "little brother" would be Tommen, and that his suicide was the thing that choked her to death. She seems to be doing okay just now, though.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty predictable end to tonight's episode

As soon as they showed us what the dragons could do in recent episodes, I was wondering what the White Walkers could do to face that, and the conclusion I came to was that they would probably need to make a Wight Dragon. It was also foreshadowed more or less with the wight bears earlier in the episode. Granted, given how easily the Night King dispensed with a dragon and the fact there are only three of them, I suppose I wouldn't so much maintain the position that they NEED a wight dragon, but still they had a dead dragon right there, so of course they were going to use it.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM had heard rumors somewhere that there was supposed to be an ice dragon frozen inside The Wall. Doesn't mean there isn't one, he supposes, but this seems less out of nowhere.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if it breathes ice then? Seems like it probably wouldn't breathe fire anymore, because that would kill it.
If the Night King is really smart, he'll use it to attack King's Landing while Daenerys is there. Cersei will just assume it means Daenerys was tricking her.

OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It probably can't go past the wall. Magic barrier and all that. Also, he has no way of knowing about that nonsense meeting.

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Unless he's like Bran and has read the whole script beforehand. He might have one weird trick up his sleeve to bypass all this.

Also,
did the writers of this series also work on the WoW Lich King expansion? Because the zombie ice dragon seems super familiar. Then again, it could just be that the Lich King guys are well informed GoT fans. It wouldn't be that surprising after all.

Anyway, let's see if I understood that well:

So, now the real enemy has access to nuclear weapons/proper WMDs, the only options are:
- a cold war in which no one ends up using dragon fire/ice ever again, if the "good guys" manage to work together to form some kind of NATO alliance. Which means Winterfell will soon end up with its own dragon so it can be a proper gatekeeper.
- a nuclear war in which pretty much everyone involved ends up dying.

It's ok though, because either way the plot needs to take at the very least a decade or so before Sam Jr/baby Jesus can become the ruler of the new world order, when we learn that he's actually Aemon's grandson/great-grandson, or something.

Not sure how they could fit that in 7 or so episodes though, unless they do a final episode à la RotK's epilogue/ending in the LotR trilogy.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I kind of thought he could read the script like Bran. At least he doesn't talk though. So we don't have him creepily talking to characters about when they were raped. Stupid Bran. I completely forgot about Aemon being a Targaryen
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of Bran: which Stark is going to die next week?

The One Weird Trick is probably the Horn of Winter (or some other such thing) that takes the whole wall down. Much more dramatic than just walking by the thing.

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, considering
last time Cersei blew up something big à la Guy Fawkes except not failing,
I wouldn't be suprised if
the whole wall collapsed or melted
in the next episode.

Also,
the North is gonna be in trouble and we'll see lots of innocent people getting killed.

Now, to answer the RDM's question:
I suppose it's been a while, although that would be a bit too predictable. What about killing Littlefinger instead? His plot line is clearly becoming less and less interesting. Since Arya gave Sansa that dagger, it clearly needs to get used.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM thinks you're right about the Wall coming down this week. Probably at the very end of the episode so we get to sit on the thought for a year.

The RDM doesn't think Littlefinger can die just yet. Dude's machinations have been pretty central to the show going all the way back to the beginning...seems like a waste to drop him before he actually achieves anything.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

His schemes are quickly moving to the point of irrelevancy. What's he going to do? Whisper in the undead's ears until he can take the throne from the Night King? All he can do now is petty stuff like get Sansa and Arya to kill each other. That won't even help him achieve anything. I say he dies next episode.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe he becomes the new Night King. Or a white walker rando that's super good at scheming.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Total posts: 3525
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

To think I've been avoiding this thread because I wasn't caught up on the show, and here you are all using spoiler tags!

This season has been fun but kind of bad!

EDIT: I should clarify: it's mainly the writing that's bad. Good thing writing is such a minor aspect of a TV series!
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yes, the writing has definitely fallen off. The RDM is doing his best to ignore the narrative failings and enjoy the ride that is now kind of a dumb ride.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, there are problems, but I'm still interested enough to watch.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. It's like season 2 of Downton Abbey, where it had become bad but was still fun to watch. Not like season 3 where it became tediously bad.

(GoT is basically Downton Abbey with dragons, right?)
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

They both have Jorah Mormont, at least.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Haha I love Iain Glen. If I had a phone I'd make my ringtone Jorah saying "Khaleesi..."
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
To think I've been avoiding this thread because I wasn't caught up on the show, and here you are all using spoiler tags!

This season has been fun but kind of bad!

EDIT: I should clarify: it's mainly the writing that's bad. Good thing writing is such a minor aspect of a TV series!

Definitely. But yeah, it's still fun enough to watch.

I've been reading book 1 recently and the Daenerys chapter makes me think I'm definitely right about one of my wild guesses when it comes to future groundbreaking revelations. However I won't explain my logic until said revelations happens in the future.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

To expand something I just said in a tweet I doubt anybody will read:

There are times when I've been at an amusement parks and got into a sweet-looking fast rollecoaster. But then despite it being fast and going around loops and stuff, it fails to feel "thrilling"... it's because you can just tell that the speed is coming from a motor constantly driving the thing.

The exciting rollercoasters are the ones where all the speed feels like it's a result of the momentum from that first drop.

Somehow GoT season 7 feels like a driven rollercoaster to me.
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's why wooden rollercoasters are just better. Going on upside down loops is overrated.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So, who do you think is gonna die tonight then?

It would be funny if it was Daenerys.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Doubtful.

Probably Littlefinger. Maybe someone else too.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you. The other one would be more fun though, à la Red Wedding.

In other news, this is an interesting article. Don't click if you're scared of spoilers though: https://www.rand.org/blog/2017/08/game-of-thrones-dragons-nuclear-weapons-and-winning.html?adbsc=social_20170827_1760761&adbid=6307602446600536064&adbpl=li&adbpr=165654
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I want to click because rand.org sounds like some libertarian shitfest.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why do you say that?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Um.... because it sounds like Ayn Rand? Or RAND corporation which is also some evil shit.

After episode edit:

Yep, as expected Littlefinger. Also, as expected the wall came down and traitory Cersei was traitory.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ah! No one talk about last night's episode yet! AAAAAHHHH!

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

LG did. Anyway, it's all business as usual.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So, when should we start speculating about plot twists in the next season?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure there will be a couple twists, but tbh, I expect that the last season is largely going to be bloated with massive battles.

Surely some twist related to Azor Ahai though.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Abdul
Abdul

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Probably a bunch of fallout dealing with Jon having a better claim to the throne than Dany. Perhaps a heel turn for Dany? They dropped the hint with Tyrion having no defense for her wanting to murder everyone all the time.

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I bet both Jon and Dany will die.
But that's ok, because Sam Junior will rule the world.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the finale was quite good on its own merits, but the leadup to it was so full of leaps in logic and confused motivations that it didn't come off nearly as effectively as it might have.

To take the thing that happens to be on my mind for example: what exactly was Arya and Sansa's plan? When was it formed? How much of their conflict was real?
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly? I think I can do without a play by play.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't need a play by play, I just want something more than utter ambiguity. I like narrative ambiguity when it's intentional and meaningful, but this just feels like poor communication of the plot.
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say it's intentional insofar as explaining before would have spoiled it and explaining after would have mired the whole scene in excessive exposition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: