Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion -> Horizon Zero Dawn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Total posts: 13003
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject:  Horizon Zero Dawn Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else played this game? It's pretty good, I'd recommend it if you haven't.

The strong dependence on fighting with a bow in this game reminds me of the recent Tomb Raider games, but there's more complexity to the battle system with weaknesses and strengths associated with various types of weapons and hitting different components on enemies. More Action RPG.

The story is pretty good too and the lead character is also. Some of the side characters could probably use better characterization, but overall it's a solid RPG that's worth playing.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Total posts: 4459
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have not heard of this game. I apologize that that is my contribution to this thread.
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well then, maybe you should start hearing about it.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have in fact heard of it now. Thank you!
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

*Looks up screenshots*

Apparently games have really good graphics now?
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Some pretty good graphics.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19833
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It unfortunately came out around the same time as Breath of the Wild. Unfortunate, because there are a lot of similarities and Breath of the Wild is leaps and bounds ahead in all departments (other than maybe graphics). It really shows it up and makes it feel devoid.
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Hard to imagine that there's not room for both considering the differences in setting/story. I definitely want to play Breath of the Wild though, if I can get my hands on a Switch or Wii U for a reasonable price.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

BotW is very long and GOTY. Horizon wasn't even GOTM.
I watch a streamer who plays a different game each night of the week to completion over however many weeks it takes. She finished with Horizon after 3 or 4 streams. She's still far from finishing with Zelda.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That doesn't really mean anything by itself. The game could be too long. Anyway, Persona 5 is GOTY. Not really sure why you keep arguing that BOTW is better than HZD though. I'm not arguing with you about it or even doubting it really.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Total posts: 1816
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did you give up on playing BOTW yourself Damien?

I'll probably play both Horizon Zero Dawn and BOTW down the line.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe if I hadn't played BotW first i'd think Horizon was relatively good. But probably not. It's a fucking bloated slog to get through and I have constantly put it down to play better things. All I could think whilst playing it is i'd rather play Witcher 3 again or BotW.

The only real positive is the game has good graphics. It has no charm.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh. Witcher 3? And you think Horizon Zero Dawn is a slog? At least the controls in Horizon Zero Dawn are intuitive and simple. The interface in Witcher 3 is absolutely horrible. Everything from using items to finding where you have to go on the map is a pain in the ass. I barely finished the griffon quest before quitting because the controls are just shit. I can't imagine what a slog it would be to make it through a whole game with those interface issues.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Ugh. Witcher 3? And you think Horizon Zero Dawn is a slog? At least the controls in Horizon Zero Dawn are intuitive and simple. The interface in Witcher 3 is absolutely horrible. Everything from using items to finding where you have to go on the map is a pain in the ass. I barely finished the griffon quest before quitting because the controls are just shit. I can't imagine what a slog it would be to make it through a whole game with those interface issues.
Horizon is a slog because the quests are all boring as hell. Most of the witcher quests are enjoyable and flow naturally and end up becoming something greater than you initially thought. The menu interface for Horizon isn't much better. Can't say either bothered me though. The walking was initially messed up in witcher but they patched it. But again, i hardly noticed.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Female Female
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Also combat in both games are shit. Horizons melee is awful and the bow is super boring.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Horizon's melee is pretty basic. I wouldn't call it awful, but it's not really something you're meant to be relying on. More like last resort stuff you do while taking evasive maneuvers to get back to using your longer range weapons. I disagree about the bow. I imagine you hate the recent Tomb Raider games if you hate the bow though. The method of operation is similar in both games, although Tomb Raider doesn't have the different arrow types.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Asaroth Larot wrote:
Did you give up on playing BOTW yourself Damien?

I'll probably play both Horizon Zero Dawn and BOTW down the line.

I just fought the last boss in BotW.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
SG Nub
SG Nub

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shock
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Did you beat it? Fought is a bit ambiguous.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I decided I'd wasted too many items, so switched it off. Will play it again at the weekend when I have time to do it properly.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Wasteman
Wasteman

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing The Frozen Wilds DLC now. Probably no one cares about that though, because no one else seemed to care about this game anyway.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Eurobeatle
Eurobeatle

Total posts: 1816
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll end up with it eventually. So 20 years from now I might care.
OfflineWaWard
Total posts: 5699
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I’ll go back to it once I’m done with botw. Which might be never.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Game Descushion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: