Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354 ... 452, 453, 454  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade -> LAST PERSON TO POST WINS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7823
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
It seems like everybody planned their activities around Damien's wedding?

Not really, my own camping trip was last weekend. This weekend I was just picnicking and flying but it's not something that special.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Total posts: 12494
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Flying sounds pretty special. Most people can't fly.

The number of posts in this thread is getting pretty close to Damien's postcount. Within fewer than 500 posts now. Anyone want to take a guess at what page the thread will overtake Damien's postcount? Or if you want a more specific guess, what Damien's postcount will be at the time it gets overtaken?
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Total posts: 1061
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Page 378.

Also, happy page 353! Cheerleader

Last edited by Mitsurugi CP on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3983
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Tag sale?!
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
Page 378.

That long, huh? I was thinking like 365.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Tag sale?!

Yep. And water fountains in Wisconsin are called "bubblers".

Lord Golbez wrote:
Mitsurugi CP wrote:
Page 378.

That long, huh? I was thinking like 365.

Well, we've got a post count gap of about 600, and he probably accounts for about 1/4 of the total posts here...so...oh, wait, yeah, it'll probably be closer to your's unless we bring back MOTW and he decides to take a hiatus.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there's also the consideration that he posts in other threads besides this one, but I considered the effect of that to be fairly minor and probably offset by other considerations like that he probably won't be posting much for awhile.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Total posts: 5221
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Stoop Sale

Which is like a yard sale, except that it's in Brooklyn.

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There is obviously a French name for garage/yard/tag/stoop sales here, but I don't recall what it is.
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Now that I think about it, it might just be "vente de garage", literally "garage sale".
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a new Starbucks beverage option.

Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
There is obviously a French name for garage/yard/tag/stoop sales here, but I don't recall what it is.

Marché aux puces/fleas market? Vide grenier ?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Now that I think about it, it might just be "vente de garage", literally "garage sale".

Apparently so:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vide-grenier_à_domicile

It's just a Québec thing though, we don't call them like that in France.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I generally heard it as garage sale even when the people having the sale didn't have a garage. NJ seems to be split down the middle on that though.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We interchange garage sale and yard sale, mostly depending on whether a garage is actually featured. Churches have rummage sales and flea markets because they're more official.

OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Quebecisme.

Churches have bazaarsats.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Québec will sometimes use a literal French translation of an English word or phrase, where France would say something else entirely. This is perhaps one of those anglicisms. Another one is saying "bienvenue" for "you're welcome", which I can only imagine sounds dreadfully wrong to visitors from France.
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

In other news, you're not winning.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

TABARNAK
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Québec will sometimes use a literal French translation of an English word or phrase, where France would say something else entirely. This is perhaps one of those anglicisms. Another one is saying "bienvenue" for "you're welcome", which I can only imagine sounds dreadfully wrong to visitors from France.

Yup, this is definitely a literal English translation here.
In France we say vide-grenier (emptying-attic), although not everyone even has an attic these days. Also, the concept is different as usually we do it more like a flea market kind of thing, it's not something people do directly outside their home.

Silly question but when you do a yard sale in the US, do you have to file any kind of paperwork to have the right to do it? Do you have to pay taxes on the stuff sold? I assume this extra cash counts as some kind of revenues and the IRS wants its share of the profit?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Here is an amusing cross-cultural error. Though just the fact that they wrote it "tabernacle" shows how little research they did!
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm not mistaken, a garage sale is called a boot sale in England, referring to the "boot", or trunk, of one's vehicle. Again in that case, I suspect the goods are frequently not sold from the trunk.
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
smeared ink wrote:

In France we say vide-grenier (emptying-attic), although not everyone even has an attic these days. Also, the concept is different as usually we do it more like a flea market kind of thing, it's not something people do directly outside their home.

Silly question but when you do a yard sale in the US, do you have to file any kind of paperwork to have the right to do it? Do you have to pay taxes on the stuff sold? I assume this extra cash counts as some kind of revenues and the IRS wants its share of the profit?

There are lots of things in the US that people "have" to do that they probably typically don't. It's likely that some kind of tax should be applied to earnings on garage sales. However, it's even more likely that the vast majority of people who hold garage sales don't do it. As for whether you have to file paperwork for a yard sale, that probably depends on local laws, but again, it's very likely that people are often in violation without knowledge or repercussions.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
Here is an amusing cross-cultural error. Though just the fact that they wrote it "tabernacle" shows how little research they did!

It's just the only way we ever write "Tabarnak" in France, see dictionary here:
http://larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/tabernacle/76296?q=Tabernacle+#75411

No one in France knows it's a rude word, people just know it as a weird exclamation mark from Québec.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
Calbrena wrote:
smeared ink wrote:

There are lots of things in the US that people "have" to do that they probably typically don't. It's likely that some kind of tax should be applied to earnings on garage sales. However, it's even more likely that the vast majority of people who hold garage sales don't do it. As for whether you have to file paperwork for a yard sale, that probably depends on local laws, but again, it's very likely that people are often in violation without knowledge or repercussions.

I assume it's probably true in many countries, however I also know that ignorance is not a valid excuse as far as the government/court is concerned, so I'd rather know before ever organising a yard sale and being deported for being a dirty immigrant.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. The risk is definitely greater for you. In general, I'd say the risk is very small though. How often do you think people check for permits on that kind of stuff? Unless it's very conspicuous, I'd guess almost never.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The rule is (probably) that you don't need to report if it's under $5,000.

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
smeared ink wrote:

It's just the only way we ever write "Tabarnak" in France, see dictionary here:
http://larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/tabernacle/76296?q=Tabernacle+#75411

No one in France knows it's a rude word, people just know it as a weird exclamation mark from Québec.

The actual religious word is still "tabernacle" in Québec too; it's just the exclamation/swear version that is "tabarnak".

Fun fact: the milder variant (kind of like "darn" in place of "damn") is "tabarnouche".
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but what I meant is that when we write that swear word in France, it's always written "tabernacle". I've never seen in written "Tabarnak" in a French context, even when it's specifically supposed to be that exclamation from Québec.

http://aleitheia-demarseilleamontreal.over-blog.com/article-les-jurons-quebecois-97320993.html

Quote:
"tabarnak" : les français disent "tabernacle" mais non, la prononciation est bien celle que je vous donne.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
The rule is (probably) that you don't need to report if it's under $5,000.

Link?
My own experience tells me that NY state has a lot of silly bureaucracy, even more annoying with rules specific to NYC, so I find it kinda hard to believe they would skip an opportunity to charge people in one way or another.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The pronunciation is better than I give you?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No, I believe it's saying the pronunciation is that which I am giving you, referring to the "tabarnak" at the beginning.
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

She's saying basically this: French people say "tabernacle" but it's wrong, the correct pronunciation is indeed the one I'm giving you.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

French people are très stupide! Calice de tabarnak!
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

INCIDENTALLY, why is everyone acting like Macron is so great? Because he's young-ish and handsome-ish and relatively suave/savvy? He just seems like another ineffectual but charming centrist, like Obama or Trudeau.
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's exactly what he is, but probably most of those same people are enamored with Obama and Trudeau as well.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19436
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Where I live it's boot sale or jumble sale.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

smeared ink wrote:
INCIDENTALLY, why is everyone acting like Macron is so great? Because he's young-ish and handsome-ish and relatively suave/savvy? He just seems like another ineffectual but charming centrist, like Obama or Trudeau.

It's mostly because he's such an expert at trolling Trump, I reckon.
Did you click on the link I posted the other day? The Daft Punk/Bastille Day one?

Apart from that, there are some actual good reasons for Macron to be popular in France, though that would require a very long explanation about the History of French politics.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

He's pretty good at trolling Trump. However, he doesn't really do it without some of Trump's ridiculousness rubbing off on him. The handshake stuff makes both of them look ridiculous.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

True but to be fair it's a game that can't really be won.
Unlike this one!
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This game can be won, but never for very long.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll definitely be better at winning whilst I'm in CA. Easy, I can just wait until you east coast guys are all asleep. Losers!
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:
Calbrena wrote:
smeared ink wrote:

I assume it's probably true in many countries, however I also know that ignorance is not a valid excuse as far as the government/court is concerned, so I'd rather know before ever organising a yard sale and being deported for being a dirty immigrant.

Most garage or yard sales don't really make a lot of money, and it's usually cash-only, difficult to trace, unless you get audited and the IRS asks you where you got the $500 you deposited in July of 2015.

With estate sales, it's a little harder to hide earnings because an auction company is involved to help you get rid of all the stuff you don't want, so you'll probably have enough sense to claim all that as income.

But for 99% of people, they're not going to make enough to warrant getting the government involved. The IRS is already understaffed as it is, and has to focus its auditing efforts in areas that have the biggest return on investment, like Nelly owing $2.4 million in back taxes.

Calbrena wrote:
I'll definitely be better at winning whilst I'm in CA. Easy, I can just wait until you east coast guys are all asleep. Losers!

Joke's on you, I'm the overnight on-call at my hospital this week. I'm gonna be averaging 4 hours of sleep a day when you losers are at your fancy 9-5 jobs.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about to watch Game of Thrones followed by Twin Peaks. So you've got a chunk of time to win (unless I decide to win between them).
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Mitsurugi CP wrote:
The IRS is already understaffed as it is, and has to focus its auditing efforts in areas that have the biggest return on investment, like Nelly owing $2.4 million in back taxes.

Good point, I always forget how understaffed they are.
I blame DotT for making me worry about the IRS.
Quote:
Joke's on you, I'm the overnight on-call at my hospital this week. I'm gonna be averaging 4 hours of sleep a day when you losers are at your fancy 9-5 jobs.

Who said we're working typical 9-5 jobs? I think this might be the case for Damien but that's it?

Anyway, I give up on winning for tonight, I much prefer getting enough sleep.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 19436
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My 9-5 isn't 9-5 for anybody else here.
I'm on a plane btw Mr. Green
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM works 7-3 because he's awesome.

OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's more or less what I used to do in my second job in Qatar. Although it was 7-2 I think? Which was even more awesome.

This morning I'm working from 7 to 8(am). I guess I should even have said no and not worked at all since I'm starting a new job soon anyway? I'm too nice sometimes.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

:win
Pegasus
Harambe
Harambe

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Working for 1 hours is basically not working.

The RDM had to work 3 extra hours yesterday and it was not his favorite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 352, 353, 354 ... 452, 453, 454  Next
Page 353 of 454

Jump to: