Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer HomeSquare Gamer Community Forum IndexFAQ Search† †Memberlist† †Profile† †Log in† †Log in to check your private messagesRegister

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> American Gods
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7823
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm† †Post subject:  American Gods Reply with quote Back to top

Google knows me way too well, clearly, they just promoted the American Gods trailer on my YouTube feed: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3awG5wEE7LU

This makes me want to read the book again. And Neverwhere and Good Omens too, while I'm at it.

Anyone planning to watch this?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3983
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the book forever ago, so I'm certainly curious about this show. Haven't watched the trailer yet.
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

We were debating when to watch it, mostly. We don't really fancy paying for a new subscription, but at the same time, supporting Neil Gaiman's projects is the only way to make a Good Omens adaptation a reality one day. I assume producers need to be convinced he's properly bankable.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/tvandradioblog/2016/apr/15/good-omens-neil-gaiman-to-adapt-terry-pratchett-collaboration-for-tv
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Hipster
Hipster

Total posts: 12494
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I started reading this book like last year or something and didn't get around to finishing. I should get back to it some time.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:34 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Have you read Neverwhere?

I read American Gods back in like 2002 or 2003, I clearly need to read it again. Too bad I have no idea where my paper copy is.
OfflineLast One
Senior 4 Life
KENN
KENN

Total posts: 378
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:28 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I read this one a long time ago. I liked Anansi Boys better from what I remember.

Have a nice day.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't read that one yet, actually. Thanks for reminding me about it.
OfflineLast One
Senior 4 Life
KENN
KENN

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It has been years since I read them both (decade?) but from what I remember I found the interaction between the brothers in Anansi Boys better. Also didn't felt that much into the dark about who all of these gods in the book were.

Have a nice day.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:32 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone watching the series yet?
OfflineLast One
Senior 4 Life
KENN
KENN

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Don't have Starz

Have a nice day
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Dead Pigeon
Dead Pigeon

Total posts: 1755
Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:02 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Im interested in seeing this show, but unless it comes to hulu, Im screwed
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, don't have Starz either. I'd like to watch it, but not now, only once it gets available on another platform.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:27 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The person who created the thread can't be bothered to try to find a means to watch it
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:34 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I created the thread because I liked the book and I was wondering if anyone was going to watch the series. I'm planning to watch this adaptation eventually but I'm not gonna get a subscription for a channel just for one series.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Mirage
Mirage

Total posts: 1666
Female Female
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is about the tv show. You should probably be watching it if you are posting about it.
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Total posts: 1061
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the whole first season; I get most of my TV through Amazon or Sling, and basically just saw the whole season on the 7-day trial period for STARZ, but I'll get a month-to-month when season 2 comes out for sure.

The TV series deviates significantly from the book in many ways, events happen out of order, storylines are extended (particularly for Mad Sweeney, Bilquis, and Laura in the first season) and characters are tweaked from their personas in the book to reflect modern US cultural phenomena.

The tone is far darker and much more subversive early on than it was in the books. There's a scene in the first episode where the internet literally lynches a black man, in the second episode, Mr. Nancy gives a speech about the future awaiting Africans in America to a ship-full of slaves, Bilquis has a storyline of losing her power to men jealous and fearful of strong women...

It's directed by the same guy who directed the Hannibal TV series, and there's a lot of things that he did very well in Hannibal that he's brought over to American Gods, as well.

I thought I was going to like Ian McShane as Wednesday, and while just about everyone who has been in the show so far is great (Crispin Glover as Mr. World is particularly unsettling), Pablo Schreiber has really been surprising with his performance of Mad Sweeney, and that character has gotten a lot more attention in this series than he ever saw in the book.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 pm† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, that's very helpful and I'm definitely gonna watch it asap. I hadn't realised the first season was already over as I was too busy catching up on GoT.

7 days trial you say? With only 8 episodes that seems doable, hopefully I'll find the time to watch them by the end of August. (Starting a new, busy job then)
OfflineMitsurugi CP
Rxorcist
GET'S!
GET'S!

Total posts: 1061
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 am† †Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If you subscribe to the channel through Amazon Prime, they offer 7 day trials for the premium channels like HBO, STARZ, Showtime, etc. Or if you have Kodi, you could probably watch it that way, as well.

Post new topic†††Reply to topic †††Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: