Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade -> Amiibo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Total posts: 1697
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:  Amiibo Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone actively collecting these?

As far as figures go I cant recommend them enough. Their high quality makes me barely give a shit about their actual functionality. Though it would be nice if the functionality lived up to any of the hype.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Total posts: 3525
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have generally stopped collecting video game related figurines and such, so I've never really considered buying Amiibos.
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Do you mean just figures in general or stuff like skylanders?

Amiibo are the first figures Ive ever really went after. I had no interest in Skylanders, but high quality Nintendo figures for a cheap price was just way too appealing to me.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 7823
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't collect this kind of things because moving home every few years has taught me accumulating stuff is not a great idea. I like my stuff online or on a hard drive.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I've (no surprise) got sort of a hoarder's mindset. I wish I could just amass endless amounts of cool crap. Lack of space is a pain in the ass. I live in a small house. Amiibos arent getting me in trouble though. It's books that are getting out of control. My one wall has been converted into a floor to ceiling shelves.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Total posts: 11811
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's the reason I got a Kindle. I prefer physical books, but there's always a space issue. Plus when moving, boxes full of books are heavy. Then again, I don't read as much as I'd like anymore because I'm too tired out from reading patents most of the time.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I am somewhere in the middle here. I definitely like having lots of books, records, etc around. And certainly some amount of little displayable thingies (ideally without becoming the cluttered mess my bedroom was as a teen). Apartments/homes that don't have these sorts of personal things kind of weird me out. Like my sister's place just looks like a catalogue home. She's boring.

It's true, though, books and records suck to move.

(I don't know what a 'skylanders' is.)
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 18931
Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Please don't talk to me about Amiibo. I have probably about 100 (the latest two being the Fire Emblem Echoes ones that came out yesterday). I generally look for offers on the ones that I don't 100% want now and sometimes miss them, but that's okay.

They are good for unlocking stuff/extra items in Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild, at least
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The other thing discouraging my hoarding reflex is the little bed bugs adventure we had last year. Whenever I see something I like, I wonder how much of a pain it would be to clean/wrap/seal away if my neighbors fucked up again by picking up someone else's trash from the street.

That, and dusting. Our building is dusty as hell, and dusting is not fun when you have asthma and allergies. I like having stuff on display, but only if they are easy to dust.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, dusting little fiddly things is pretty terrible.
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Confusingly, 2 rooms in my flat get mega dusty and the rest don't. The Amiibos have mostly stayed in the same place for a year+ and have fairly little dust on them. Moving is going to be a pain, but I don't do it that often to worry about it when buying small things.

What's the story about the bed bugs though? Sounds annoying?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Half the forum has a bedbugs story.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien do you have these awesome things?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/fbcAAOSwB-1YvAo-/$_58.JPG
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I have one of them. Just to unlock the Monster Hunter stuff in Animal Crossing
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Asaroth and I explained our bedbug stories in the thread.

I believe I also mentioned it in February 2016, when it actually happened.

Basically, it's complete hell. Way worse than cockroaches or anything like that.

Remember the Cambie Hostel? Now, imagine all your fabricky belongings must be tumbledried/dry cleaned/sealed away. Imagine how all your other belongings must be sealed away in air tight bags or contrainers. For up to a year. Also imagine you have to get special pillows and mattress covers, and vacuum everything several times a day for weeks, on top of heavy chemical treatments in an enclosed space. Now, imagine the cost related to all this, especially if on top of that you need to take time off work to deal with the matter.

So yeah, no unnecessary physical stuff in my home, unless I can easily seal them, freeze them, tumble dry them or something along those lines. At least we've got tons or air tight boxes and resealable bags now. But having a mound of bin bags in our dining room for weeks was a real pain/depressing, and it took us months to even dare to reopen the non-urgent ones, one at a time and after careful inspection of their content.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I keep my amiibos in the same type of sealed tubs we used during the bedbug infestation just so I can avoid having to dust.

I fucking hate dust. I think I have a dust allergy I get really sick while dusting. It once kayoed me for like 3 days.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That bedbug story has made me sad at bedtime Sad
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lol I was dropping by the thread to say that it made me feel itchy for hours last night.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Shame on you for sharing your experience!
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

At least I'm not sharing my bed bugs.

Anyway, time to do some de-cluttering, it's amazing how quickly human beings tend to hoard stuff.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

This thread isn't really about Amiibos any more, is it?
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Amiibos were a nice jumping-off point for a discussion about collecting stuff.
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That's okay. Isn't Talking Real about amiibos now anyway?
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Frieza Controller
Frieza Controller

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds extremely likely.
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
This thread isn't really about Amiibos any more, is it?

Quick! Life support!

There's something for all you FF7 fanboys. High quality Cloud figures relatively cheap.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Naughty Horse
Naughty Horse

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

One of those looks like a shitty KH version of Cloud or something. Maybe Crisis Core or Advent Children. Either way, left is the way to go.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's Advent Children. You can choose to wear that outfit in Smash.

This final set of Smash Amiibos has 2 for each character. Even though there were clearly some characters earlier on that could have seriously benefitted by having 2 versions.

OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I want classic Cloud, Female Corrin and unsure which Bayonetta. They're really milking it with two of each right off the bat though.
I'm surprised a Switch version of Smash 4 isn't coming out with these.
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nintendo is as clever as ever I see.
Gotta catch them all?
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'll gladly keep buying these as long as the quality and price ratio keeps up. Looks like theyre even cheaper in Japan. 1200 yen I think is even less than 12 bucks.

I actually enjoyed World of Final Fantasy quite a bit and wanted a little memento since the game itself was pretty much going to sit on the shelf for all eternity.

This little bastard is going for 60 bucks and I just cant justify that
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The exchange rates are a bit less favorable now, but when I was in Japan in 2015, Amiibos were generally £5-6. In the UK, they're £13. Not only that, mnost were sold out/reportedly out of production over here (aka, the realm of scalpers, £50 on Amazon marketplace and eBay). Got a good Amiibo stash out there.
Afterwards, I did the dumb thing of panic buying some that I didn't actually want, just in case they became rare. I now only collect ones that I absolutely want and wait for others to drop before £10 (preferably under £7) before grabbing them. Has worked well. Saying that, I got the two Fire Emblem Echoes ones on launch day, but they were part of the Collectors Edition...
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Ive definitely panic bought Amiibos...

The only amiibos Ive been avoiding are those Skylander ones. They kind of look like shit to me. I also either dont own cards at all or completely forgot about them.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I saw the Skylanders ones in a shop for like £4 but still didn't bother. No interest in Skylanders and am glad the crossover (must have) flopped.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Fuck Skylanders. Though, in the interest of amiibo completion I may have bought them for 4 bucks but would still probably glare at them for their shittiness.

Now way back at the beginning they were showing production model instead of the real deal amiibos but have now basically stopped that shit.

However you try and look for the skylanders amiibos and the actual product isnt what you see. You have to dig a little to see it.

If that was really what you got it would actually be decent.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/QUsAAOSwvg9XW1Iq/$_1.JPG

This just looks like badly spraypainted plastic crap. Your average amiibo is way better.

Last edited by Asaroth Larot on Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it resembles the Mario McDonald's toys.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like my prediction of a new eyeball hat Mario Amiibo didnt come true.

But these are better anyway

OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Those are a nice surprise. I want three of the four of them.
I can imagine the Mario with hat one will happen eventually.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we wont get an eyeball hat. They announced these 3 under the radar

WANT
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nice.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

These amiibos really should have been direct worthy
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh did you not already know about these?
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. I didnt know anything past the official amiibo lineup site...plus the 4 from the e3 direct
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I saw them in tweets from Nintendo the same day as the E3 thing. The Metroid one is squishy.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The metroid one is by far the best amiibo I've seen so far.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

It's Qmark making SGRPG2.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I hope the plastic for the Metroid capsule is as transparent as this looks here.

OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

http://imgur.com/Ai7DDKn
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Smokey
Smokey

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Haha. That's great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: