Square Gamer Home
Square Gamer Home Square Gamer Community Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Profile Log in Log in to check your private messages Register

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topicReply to topic Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade -> Comics Fans
View previous topic :: View next topic
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Total posts: 10478
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:44 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the first episode of Jojo when I had a friend over. Didn't watch any more episodes, because it was pretty bad.
OfflineJoei
Tenkyu Star
Goldierocks
Goldierocks

Total posts: 1641
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:55 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Judging an anime on one episode is the dumbest thing you can do.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Total posts: 3986
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:00 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Surely there are dumber things. Gluing your eyelids shut, for instance. That's much dumber.

Also, first impressions should mean something. The viewer comes in expecting to get an idea of how the show will comport itself for the rest of its run from the first episode. If the first episode is garbage there's no point in throwing good time after bad.

Times the RDM has been right: 4,621,102,999,452,148,271.9446
Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Joei wrote:
Judging an anime on one episode is the dumbest thing you can do.

Really, because I thought shitposting everyone was pretty dumb too? I wasn't interested in the show to begin with, so I don't know why I would continue watching when it didn't give me a good impression.
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Total posts: 4115
Female Female
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

If I like a shows premise I'll give it 5 episodes. If I don't like it by the 5th episode, I'm dumping it.

Don't blame Golbez a bit even though I love JoJo. I dropped Kill La Kill after 3 episodes. Trash show.
OfflineCid
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Pipo
Pipo

Total posts: 565
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
Didn't Marvel have Doctor Octopus possess Spiderman for a year or so?

Yes, during Superior Spider-Man. Peter's spirit later took back over his body when Otto got wrecked by Green Goblin and realized he wasn't the superior Spider-Man after all and "deleted himself." His essence later inhabited a robot and later still got a new clone body that combined his own DNA and Peter's. Now he's the "Superior Octopus."

Quote:
Didn't Eddie Brock die of cancer?

No, he had the cancer purged from his body when he touched Mr. Negative whose powers combined with the latent symbiote cells in his body and turned him into Anti-Venom for a while. Then he got the Toxin symbiote and was part of some covert ops group. Most recently he got the Venom symbiote back.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Total posts: 1534
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:07 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I really liked the Superior Spiderman run. My library had the whole thing in single issue. I'd love to have an omnibus of it
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. I liked Superior Spider-Man pretty well also. I think maybe they dragged it out a bit too long, but it was a decent concept and a nice arc overall. First I heard of Superior Octopus though.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Total posts: 7339
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HKK wrote:
If I like a shows premise I'll give it 5 episodes. If I don't like it by the 5th episode, I'm dumping it.

Don't blame Golbez a bit even though I love JoJo. I dropped Kill La Kill after 3 episodes. Trash show.

Sometimes one episode is indeed enough to know whether you enjoy something or not, especially if you're clearly not the target audience.

By the way, I think you missed my question on the previous page.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

HKK: I was going to give Nana a shot since my sister already owns it, but she straight up told me not to because of the cliffhanger due to the writer's illness. Oh well still want to give Yotsuba a try

Cal: If youre still paying attention there's a good site for keeping shit straight.

http://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-comics-guide-collecting-marvel-comic-books/

That site has helped me plug some holes recently. Stuff I didnt even realize I was missing.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished the Dr Strange Omnibus which collects the 1960s Steve Ditko run. It was a tough sit but not horrible. It actually did some things really right like stringing like 10+ issues into an over arching story instead of the typical 1960s episodic structure.

Honestly I think I just dont like the concept of Dr Strange at it's core. How am I supposed to get invested when Strange can practically pull any asinine thing out of left field to get through a situation. Pretty much all magic fiction suffers from this.

The art in the back of the omnibus by people who aren't Steve Ditko was really good.

In other news: Take a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSpEQ1p-WI

I recently discovered this band exists. It seems they specialize in comic themed songs.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So, he's basically Doctor Who.

Also, about the Great Lakes Avengers. I remember I read an Avengers issue once in which they participated and were, of course, a joke.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I havent read further down the line but I do think time travel does eventually get added to his repertoire so the Doctor Who analogy starts to fit even more.

Just add more LSD dreamscapes.
OfflineLast One
Senior 4 Life
Blue Aftershock
Blue Aftershock

Total posts: 364
Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm off to Phoenix ComicCon tomorrow! Lets see what I can find there!

Have a nice day
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

*looks at Phoenix Comicon website*

Dick Van Dyke is alive?

That guest list looks pretty nice. I know someone who would lose her mind if she met Jason David Frank.

RDM's Dad would be cool to meet along with Karen Gillan
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Asaroth Larot wrote:
RDM's Dad would be cool to meet along with Karen Gillan

...what?
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:56 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

https://phoenixcomicon.com/project/alan-tudyk/
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh.

The RDM's dad is way less fun to meet than Alan Tudyk. Even if Alan Tudyk is a total jerk in real life. The RDM's dad is surliness personified.

Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Chocobo
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like a lot of dads.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:08 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh shit.

http://cosplay.kotaku.com/armed-man-arrested-at-phoenix-comicon-after-threatening-1795566533
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:13 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Guess we'll be asking Last One about that.
OfflineAsaroth Larot
Rawr!
Gastown Tramp
Gastown Tramp

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I dont know from personal experience but it's bad enough to have the security scanning your props as is. I dread the thought of having that damn metal detector run down my sides.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
LAST PERSON TO POST
LAST PERSON TO POST

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
That sounds like a lot of dads.

Only Alan Tudyk and the RDM's dad. That's two dads, if Alan Tudyk is a dad. I didn't check, but he's probably a dad. Two isn't lots though.

Asaroth Larot wrote:
I dont know from personal experience but it's bad enough to have the security scanning your props as is. I dread the thought of having that damn metal detector run down my sides.

Run down your sides? They don't just use those doorway scanners that you walk through?
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:
HKK wrote:

Sometimes one episode is indeed enough to know whether you enjoy something or not, especially if you're clearly not the target audience.

By the way, I think you missed my question on the previous page.

Sorry.

I like stuff like Tin Tin and the Incal. I really like Persepolis. French-Belgian comics tend to interest me more than American counterparts. American comics have an over emphasis on nerd subjects like superheroes and zombies for me.
OfflineRDM
Pegasus
Tony Blairs
Tony Blairs

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

You know what was a really good comic? Stray Bullets. The RDM wants to go back and read it now.

OfflineLast One
Senior 4 Life
Blue Aftershock
Blue Aftershock

Total posts: 364
Male Male
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:02 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that was fun. It appear to had happen right by where I was at that time and I didn't know about the whole thing until I read about it online at night.

Security was asleep on Thursday. Historically the convention only check for badges at the door entrance and if you have any props, they have tables right by to have it inspected and approved. When I came in on Thursday, I basically just walked in, one of the security briefly check if I had a badge at all and the usual prop check table where all chatting and not paying attention. Security drop the ball on this as this person carrying a shotgun, 3 guns, paper spray and throwing stars got pass them, went to the second floor and was looking for Jason David Frank (Green Power Ranger from the original show.) The crazy individual wanted to kill him as 10 years prior he was only able to wound him (I believe that in reality he has never even met him) and also kill a couple of cops as some of them were bad and he was able to tell them apart. Thankfully the guy was texting a sort of friend in California about his actions and this person called the police on him and was apprehended.

Thankfully nothing happened out of this, but put things in perspective for me as I was in the same floor as this whole thing was going on. Security was on disarray the next day trying to have thigh security check with almost no personal (they changed from prior year volunteers of 1000 to a mere 400 payed employees.) Line were horrible wrong with no one coordinating them (only 3 check in areas). Took me about an hour and half to get in. All props were banned so people didn't cosplay as much as other years and any weapon prop bought at the convention had to be wrapped and not use inside the convention area. They later relaxed and were more specific on the props (only weapons/shield props were banned.) It was kind of a sour atmosphere on Friday and got better on Saturday.

But that's my rant for now. I go to sleep as I have to work tomorrow morning! Later!

Have a nice day
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:43 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

That doesn't sound like fun.

@HKK, Persepolis is indeed great. What I like in Franco-Belgian comics is the diversity: just like with mangas, you can find comics about pretty much everything, for any age group. Like, for Christmas I bought comic books for my mum about retirement, I don't think I could find anything equivalent in the American comics market?
OfflineHKK
Tidus Dies
Tidus Dies

Female Female
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No you couldn't. And that's why they're inferior. 95% of American comics are about super heroes. On the other hand you've got the dailies but those don't have finite stories. I wish there were more translated but I think there might be more in Spanish since the Spanish seem to like French comics and I've been learning Spanish. If you have any suggestions on how to get Franco-Belgian comics in English or Spanish it would be nice. What is the name of the retirement comic.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:30 pm Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I can't remember which one I got her but for example there's this:
http://m.bedetheque.com/BD-Vive-la-retraite-Tome-1-Enfin-la-retraite-111059.html

And this:
http://livre.fnac.com/a9231/Tybo-Le-guide-de-la-retraite-en-BD

If you know Spanish, you're indeed likely to find more French comics in that language. Otherwise, you could also try reading them in French directly, although it's of course trickier. Then again, learning to read French isn't that difficult for someone who knows both English and Spanish.

Giving you some advice is a bit difficult considering there are thousands of BDs, probably hundreds worth reading. You might want to start with bandes dessines which have won awards in our equivalent of the Cannes festival:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_de_la_ville_d%27Angoulme
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:50 am Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

@HKK, you might find that one interesting:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rabbi%27s_Cat_(comics)

It's been adapted as an animated film as well, although I haven't seen it. The comics version is good though.

Post new topicReply to topic Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> Tea & Biscuits Brigade All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: