Square Gamer Home
 Square Gamer Home  Square Gamer Community Forum Index  FAQ Search   Memberlist   Profile   Log in   Log in to check your private messages  Register 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion -> BREXIT THE THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Total posts: 6238
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Have you bought your dollars yet?
More importantly, have you given more thoughts to moving to our side of the pond? Not sure if the grass is greener over here, but I do know your Prime minister's recent statements do seem worrying.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Total posts: 16881
Male Male
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe in the future (to Canada, not America), depending how it goes. Still aiming for Manchester right now. I'm still hoping something happens that ends this stupidity

We plan to get some $$$ next week when I get paid, even though it seems that right now is the very worst time to buy them
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I was talking about Canada too, not the US. For a start, it's actually fairly simple to move to Canada, and it's definitely not that easy to move to the US. And of course, Canada's policies in general are way more "European"...

Anyway, not that I want to be negative or anything, but sadly I believe Brexit will happen, and I believe it will only go downhill from there. It saddens me but I don't see how it could go any other way.

As for buying $$$ at the moment, I know what you mean. But I wouldn't be surprised if the pound lost even more of its value by mid-november.
OfflineCid
:>
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 532
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Well the good news is I've always wanted to visit the UK and now I'll get a lot more bang for my buck.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Calbrena wrote:

Anyway, not that I want to be negative or anything, but sadly I believe Brexit will happen, and I believe it will only go downhill from there.

Oh I know that! I'm under no illusions that they're going to be brave and sensible and back up on the clear disaster waiting to happen.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

So basically you're waiting to see how big of a disaster it is?

@Cid, I guess from an outside perspective it looks like a nice opportunity indeed. China must be so happy, it's gonna be like sales time for them.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I can realistically simply get up and move country. I know you're used to it, but it'd be a huge undertaking for most people, myself included.
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Total posts: 2839
Male Male
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Can we take England's place in the European Union? Like, just New York, maybe a few other rational states?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Damien wrote:
I don't think I can realistically simply get up and move country. I know you're used to it, but it'd be a huge undertaking for most people, myself included.

Somehow I had missed that comment until now. I totally understand it's not easy to move country. In fact, I have to be candid about it, it's much easier when one doesn't see any possible future in their own country, and I don't wish for anyone else to feel that desperate.

Also, until now the reason why I've been moving so much is because it's much easier to keep on moving than to actually immigrate somewhere with a long term plan.

Personally I hope I won't have to move to a different country once again, but if the U.S. doesn't want me to stay I still don't see any future for myself in Europe.

@RDM, NYC is totally a European city anyway, so it would make sense. I doubt the federal government would accept secession though. Same goes for California and Cascadia if they tried to become independent.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/16/tony-blair-remainers-rise-up-brexit

Yay?
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Total posts: 9336
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Why no future in Europe? You acknowledge NYC as a European city, but you don't have a problem living there. Or have you spent too much time in Europe and it's boring now?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I'd rather not be in Europe when WWIII starts.
Also, I've got family in the US.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

What makes you so sure Europe will be the stage of WWIII? I'm thinking the US could be major contender right now.
OfflineCid
:>
Poon Underwater
Poon Underwater

Total posts: 532
Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like WW3 would begin and end pretty quickly.
OfflineDamien
Jingle Bellend
Managerial Enforcer
Managerial Enforcer

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:
What makes you so sure Europe will be the stage of WWIII? I'm thinking the US could be major contender right now.

Isn't that what most Americans think was the case with WWII anyway?
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM overheard a coworker the other day talking about how no one would be stupid enough to start a land war in the Americas because too many American civilians have lots of guns.

It struck the RDM that a lot of people (who own guns) must think the same way. They've convinced themselves that their hobby is somehow heroic.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Lord Golbez wrote:

You've got the Atlantic on one side and the Pacific on the other side. It's impossible to be caught in the middle of a worldwide conflict like that. The geographic advantage is pretty clear tbh. Europe is a way more complicated matter. Look, how many actual acts of war have happened in Europe within the last 50 years versus in the US? I will let you count.

That's without even mentioning that Syria is literally on our doorstep, if you count Turkey as nearly in Europe, which it totally is. And Russia is a pretty obvious threat. To Europe, not to the US.
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Russia doesn't have the (traditional) military power, nor the population, to contend with even a loose confederation of NATO countries (Germany alone could house them). Obviously they've got nukes, which complicates things for everyone, but Putin is too smart to be thinking anything like outright war with European nations.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Dizzee Rascal
Dizzee Rascal

Total posts: 1880
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
It struck the RDM that a lot of people (who own guns) must think the same way. They've convinced themselves that their hobby is somehow heroic.

Yeah, this part has always seemed pretty clear to me.
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM had previously thought that such sentiments were reserved for particularly dumb people who like guns, not all people who like guns.
Offlinesmeared ink
Fei Ayanami
Dizzee Rascal
Dizzee Rascal

Total posts: 1880
Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
particularly dumb people who like guns

In my country we call those "Americans."

(Note: We're smug assholes here.)
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Those people with guns are why war on the ground in the US is likely.
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM had assumed that there were people out there, somewhere, who realized that they liked guns because shooting things is fun, rather than because guns make them superheroes.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

All the wrong people have guns, IMO. It would be good to have to protect against fascist governments, but all the people with guns are for authoritarian rule, so they would never fight against a government that actually does actions to warrant it.
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

There should be a brief psychological exam associated with all gun sales. It consists of one question:

1. Do you want to buy a gun?

If the answer is yes, the person is labelled "potentially dangerous" and denied the sale. If the answer is no everyone just returns to what they were doing like nothing ever happened.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
Russia doesn't have the (traditional) military power, nor the population, to contend with even a loose confederation of NATO countries (Germany alone could house them). Obviously they've got nukes, which complicates things for everyone, but Putin is too smart to be thinking anything like outright war with European nations.

I assume you've heard of Ukraine and Georgia, right? As in, the country, not the state? And you do realise that Europe relies widely on Russia for its energy supplies?

Now, post Brexit, the only country within the EU with a semi decent army (and nukes) is France. So, I wonder, who's likely to get nuked first if anything goes seriously wrong?
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

No one is getting nuked unless it's the US or North Korea doing the nuking, everyone else has too much sense. Ukraine and Georgia were both destabilized from the inside-out. International response was pathetic, but neither involved actual military force.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Terrorists don't have too much sense and some getting access to a nuke is not entirely implausible.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

RDM wrote:
Ukraine and Georgia were both destabilized from the inside-out.
Do you actually believe this? Then either you or I must have been reading fake news. Onoes

On a more serious note, I don't really think anyone is gonna get nuked anytime soon. But I do believe that if a major conflict does happen before we die of old age, Europe will suffer a lot more from it than America will (mostly thinking about the economy here). Because, you know, it's part of the Eurasian continent, and it's way more dependent on its neighbours.

I'm also totally serious about the fact France is more likely to be targeted than other countries, due to plenty of geopolitical and economic reasons. Oh, and the fact that we send troops abroad to fight terrorism, when the rest of Europe doesn't do it as much.
OfflineLord Golbez
Master of MeTEAo
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Is all your family outside France now?
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

My siblings are, and some of my cousins. My parents are technically in France, but they travel a lot, so I'm just as likely to see them elsewhere.

But see, here is the key. All my life I've had family spread across the globe (as far as New Caledonia, one can't go much further than that while staying on Earth).

Without rambling, my family is very international, multicultural and multiracial (I was gonna say multilingual, but that's only 4-5 languages in total, I think). We have a decent collection of passports between us. Not quite as multicultural on my husband's side, but still, he's got direct relatives as far as NZ.

I love Europe, as well as its History and Culture, but it's not international enough for me, I guess. NYC is literally the best place in the world if you seek diversity, which is why I love it here. I've lived in truly diverse places before, but they were all actual dictatorships, so no thanks.
OfflineRDM
Rebrander
Wild Seven
Wild Seven

Male Male
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

The RDM doesn't know much about what happened in Georgia, but in Ukraine it was pretty clear. Yanukovich was essentially a Russian plant as Prime Minister (who worked with one of Trump's former campaign managers, Paul Manafort to improve his image as "totally not a puppet"). Plans to "take back" Crimea appeared to be kind of a standing thing Russia had in place that they only acted on once their ally was ousted.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

I think you forget the intense online propaganda from Russia back then (already), as well as the direct military intervention. The thing is, Crimea was always a strategic place, so it was only a matter of time. But remember that tiny piece of Russia near Poland? I wouldn't want to be in one of the Baltic states right now.
OfflineCalbrena
Objection!
Romeo Dunn
Romeo Dunn

Unknown Unknown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/pence-and-merkel-embrace-nato-but-differ-on-transatlantic-partnership/2017/02/18/909c6a92-f55c-11e6-9fb1-2d8f3fc9c0ed_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_eurosecurity-725am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.4cd909c3f3ba

And before someone says this has nothing to do with Brexit, it totally does. Because, you know, the whole point of creating the EU in the first place was to insure peace in Europe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Square Gamer Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: